Search

Should Delta buy me a suit?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:58 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Eh, why do businessmen always need suits -makes me think of doormen.

Just show up in a company t-shirt and unzipped branded sweatshirt over it.
(less money, more enthuaism, more comfortable, and more free advertising )
There is a certain formality to doing business in China; what flies here in the states in some quarters is not globally acceptable and this is particularly true for some professions. Lawyers, for instance, still can't get away with dressing that casually. Much to my consternation, I would add.

And OP should not have a problem being reimbursed.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
As a DM my bag didn't make it to Kona once for days and I needed clothes for meetings and recreation. The red coat at the airport said $50/allowance and I laughed. I kept it to a minimum and Hawaiians don't really care what you wear but the bill was still impressive. Delta paid for everything without any static. I'm sure they'll pay for the suit. Make sure you keep all receipts and carefully explain the situation.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Always carry on what you need for the first three days and check the rest, if you must.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by davetravels
Maybe they should handle bags like VDBing passengers - with vouchers asking for volunteers.

Think through how this would work.

Yep, lets offload all the bags to FIND the right ones. And, delay the flight while all the bags are being dragged around.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by DL-Don
Always carry on what you need for the first three days and check the rest, if you must.
In D1 you can probably take a garment bag without a problem. Tumi makes a stealth one that will hold a couple suits that's designed to look like a laptop bag. Though you'll have a hard time fitting any garment bag into the carry-on sizer. Coach class and barbie jet travelers beware.

I'd be hard pressed to get three days of dress clothing and my tech gear into my roll-a-board.Back when people traveled in suits airlines had a lot more closet space so the garment bags would get hung up in the coat closet. My father would travel with a few suits that way. Those days are long gone.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Yes, DL will reimburse a suit and accessories for late bags, especially for DMs. Been there and done it.

Asia business is more formal than US.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:57 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Think through how this would work.

Yep, lets offload all the bags to FIND the right ones. And, delay the flight while all the bags are being dragged around.
Noooooooooo!

It could be done at the counter when you check the bags. They get tagged with VDB tags, similar to tagging Standby pax' bags now (I believe). They don't get loaded unless the pax flies!

Brilliant!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
Noooooooooo!

It could be done at the counter when you check the bags. They get tagged with VDB tags, similar to tagging Standby pax' bags now (I believe). They don't get loaded unless the pax flies!

Brilliant!
I understand that you're being at least slightly tongue in cheek.

I just think that would cause a panic unnecessarily for how many times it happens. It seems like we get a DL took my bag off a flight thread here once every 6 months or so. So maybe figure it actually happens on a flight where someone can't get their bag until the next day 1-3 times monthly? Does that sound fair?

I figure it happens more frequently but if someone is going MSP to MCI and they can get it on the next flight 2 hrs later and deliver it to your hotel/house it's probably not that big a deal vs. not having your bag in China for a day.

DL needs VDB volunteers multiple times an daily and I think average people grasp that airlines oversell flights and a person might need to take a later flight. I don't think they grasp that luggage has to be removed for W&B. And prompting them will panic many infrequent travelers that their bag will be pulled.

But I like the idea in theory!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by motytrah
In D1 you can probably take a garment bag without a problem. Tumi makes a stealth one that will hold a couple suits that's designed to look like a laptop bag. Though you'll have a hard time fitting any garment bag into the carry-on sizer. Coach class and barbie jet travelers beware.

I'd be hard pressed to get three days of dress clothing and my tech gear into my roll-a-board.Back when people traveled in suits airlines had a lot more closet space so the garment bags would get hung up in the coat closet. My father would travel with a few suits that way. Those days are long gone.
I have had no trouble at business meetings after wearing a blue blazer on the plane and several pair of slacks and shirts in the carry-on bag as a suitable recovery for suits in a missing bag. Perhaps my clients/co-workers/et al are a little more forgiving.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I've learn to always now bring 2 in my carry-on after my experience CDG-ORD where the FA dropped a full tray of champagne on me

I took the 10,000 miles as sufficient. And it was a good opportunity to tell my company to switch from company issued blackberry to iphone!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I also bring at least one suit on board. Guess how many out of 10 trips to China and Singapore this last year I end up with no luggage for 3 or more days! Nine trips! The trips were a mix of DL, MU, AA, QR, and BA. Only the BA trip didn't end up with luggage delayed.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Having had something like this happen recently - everyone connecting from a DL flight to an FM PVG-BKK flight had our bags left in PVG - I'm kinda surprised it doesn't happen to elites more often. The scene at the Thai Airways baggage claim desk at arrival: The two elites were calmly filling out the paperwork while the other four, who were not elites, were arguing, threatening to sue and acting as if all was lost. Given the difference in behavior, it made me think if I worked for the airline I'd offload STE elite bags first.

And yes, I travel with the first day's clothes in carry-on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.