Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta keeps upgrading me even when I ask not to

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:12 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold

So this has happened now twice, the first time on a short hour flight which wasn't a problem. but they just did this again on a 5 hour flight.

I booked my usual trip a couple of weeks ago for next week and I specifically booked a class K ticket (in hopes of getting an upgrade to business) when there were no isle or window comfort seats and made sure to not request an upgrade to comfort +. I find out now that they have graciously upgraded me from my emergency exist seat to a middle comfort seat. I haven't called yet but online there only is middle seats in comfort and my emergency seat can't be picked.

Last time this happened 3-4 weeks ago on my last trip of 2016, it was a short 50 minute trip that they upgraded me and I had checked the box for upgrades to comfort and business. I learned my lesson and didn't do it this time. Last time they couldn't help me on the phone or at the lounge and I was too late for the counter when I tried to deal with it down there. turns out that once upgraded they can't help you on the phone to revert back to emergency.

is there anything I can do with this situation so I can either get a better comfort seat or get back to my emergency exit.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL DM
They can certainly "undo" your upgrade on the phone. Whether or not the emergency exit row is still available is unknown. They can't open a seat that has since been claimed.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
2 inches and a free drink isn't really an upgrade--not sure why they call it "upgrade?" And, when it's to a middle seat, at least for me, its a "downgrade!"
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
There has been a lot of discussion about this issue. I recall reading that the opt out (which exists but doesn't always seem to work) is being fixed... but I don't know that we've heard when the fix will be implemented.

Call DL. They know this glitch exists. Ask for your old seat (if its been assigned to someone else then there is little they can do except note the error in your record). Some have reported being given skymiles when this happens.

I'd watch very closely as you get close to departure. If there are passengers being upgraded you want to grab the seat that they vacate and that will take persistence and timing. Good luck.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
There has been a lot of discussion about this issue. I recall reading that the opt out (which exists but doesn't always seem to work) is being fixed... but I don't know that we've heard when the fix will be implemented.

Call DL. They know this glitch exists. Ask for your old seat (if its been assigned to someone else then there is little they can do except note the error in your record). Some have reported being given skymiles when this happens.

I'd watch very closely as you get close to departure. If there are passengers being upgraded you want to grab the seat that they vacate and that will take persistence and timing. Good luck.
It shouldn't be an opt-out. You check which upgrades you want. Before you respond - I agree C+ is not necessarily an upgrade, but that doesn't change the process.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:57 pm
formerly oyalkut

Programs: Delta SM
To piggyback on OP's question, what is the best process for a Silver Medallion upgrades? I have a flight in 2 weeks and hoping to get an upgrade. I don't have an emergency row now, but I do have an aisle and prefer that over middle C+. Would it be smarter to uncheck C+ upgrade request, then log in at T-24 and select a comfort seat IF a good one is available? Would I even be able to do that if I don't have the upgrade box checked off now?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by oyalkut
To piggyback on OP's question, what is the best process for a Silver Medallion upgrades? I have a flight in 2 weeks and hoping to get an upgrade. I don't have an emergency row now, but I do have an aisle and prefer that over middle C+. Would it be smarter to uncheck C+ upgrade request, then log in at T-24 and select a comfort seat IF a good one is available? Would I even be able to do that if I don't have the upgrade box checked off now?
If you don't want to possibly get upgraded into middle, then you want the box unchecked. But you can't select the C+ without being checked so you would have to check it at that time If there is a seat you want. If it doesn't work, call immediately.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:48 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

thanks guys it just sucks to have a middle seat and the thought of having to use one of my upgrade certificates to get out of it is just insane when this mistake happened on their side.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by fnaime23
thanks guys it just sucks to have a middle seat and the thought of having to use one of my upgrade certificates to get out of it is just insane when this mistake happened on their side.
If it were me I would have been on the phone immediately and not on Flytertalk. Have you called yet?

Also, there are sometimes bulkhead or other C+ seats that are held until the gate for pax with disabilities. You can request that a supervisor open one of these up for you, but you will have to agree that you will give it up if it is needed for someone with a special need at the gate.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thats why I always put quotes around 'upgrade' when I refer to C+... or as some called it a 'sidegrade'.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
If you don't want to possibly get upgraded into middle, then you want the box unchecked. But you can't select the C+ without being checked so you would have to check it at that time If there is a seat you want. If it doesn't work, call immediately.
I've successfully selected a C+ seat after being upgraded without being checked in as an FO several times.

Usually what I do for C+ upgrades is to keep the box unchecked. On the days leading up to the flight, I'll keep an eye on the seat map. If it looks good, I'll check the box and click "save". Frequently I'm upgraded immediately and can select a seat. Sometimes it won't let me select a seat online, but if I try it on the app then it usually works.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:01 am
fadynaime
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
If it were me I would have been on the phone immediately and not on Flytertalk. Have you called yet?

Also, there are sometimes bulkhead or other C+ seats that are held until the gate for pax with disabilities. You can request that a supervisor open one of these up for you, but you will have to agree that you will give it up if it is needed for someone with a special need at the gate.
I didn't call directly as I saw it late at night and wasn't very happy. I try to avoid resolving issues in that mood. But I called first thing today and I was able to get back my original emergency exit seat.

she knew about the issue of upgrading to comfort even when you only select to business, which hasn't been fixed.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:02 am
fadynaime
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
there is a glitch on the system, even when you uncheck the upgrade to comfort but have the upgrade to business checked. it still adds you to both lists.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Today I received an email "congratulations on your upgrade" for a flight on Friday to Liberia CR. I booked a first class seat..... Not quite sure where I got upgraded to. Maybe I get to sit with the pilot.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:30 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nikitta28
Today I received an email "congratulations on your upgrade" for a flight on Friday to Liberia CR. I booked a first class seat..... Not quite sure where I got upgraded to. Maybe I get to sit with the pilot.
thats the email they forgot to send me when I got upgraded to a middle seat. lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.