Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can you have bags checked to an intermediate stop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

I have two trips booked - and the inbound legs are as follows:

1) PVG-DTW-JFK-YYZ

2) HND-MSP-LGA-YYZ

In PVG and HND respectively can I ask for my bags to only be checked through to JFK and LGA respectively (instead of all the way to YYZ)?

I've done that on UA before - but never tried doing it on Delta. I already have a positioning flight to YYZ on each outbound, and would rather just skip the JFK/YYZ; and LGA/YYZ legs on the way back - otherwise, I need to book two more flights from YYZ back to NY at the tail end.

thanks!!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:31 pm

What's the connection time in NYC?
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Widgets
What's the connection time in NYC?
JFK-YYZ (china trip) - is about 3.5 hours

LGA-YYZ (japan trip) is about 50 min

I see why you are asking - but would they really care? For all they know a friend is picking up my suitcase or something?
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
JFK-YYZ (china trip) - is about 3.5 hours

LGA-YYZ (japan trip) is about 50 min

I see why you are asking - but would they really care? For all they know a friend is picking up my suitcase or something?
He's asking because the Delta policy on short-checking bags is dependent on how long the connection time is. Unfortunately, your connection times are not long enough to permit short-checking the bag to NYC and so per Delta policy, the bag must be checked the whole way to YYZ.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WidgetKid
He's asking because the Delta policy on short-checking bags is dependent on how long the connection time is. Unfortunately, your connection times are not long enough to permit short-checking the bag to NYC and so per Delta policy, the bag must be checked the whole way to YYZ.
3.5 hours is not long enough?

not a big deal; i can just do it by way of carry-on but was curious.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:45 am

Go for carry-on. Safer and draws less attention to what you are doing.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I have two trips booked - and the inbound legs are as follows:

1) PVG-DTW-JFK-YYZ

2) HND-MSP-LGA-YYZ

In PVG and HND respectively can I ask for my bags to only be checked through to JFK and LGA respectively (instead of all the way to YYZ)?

I've done that on UA before - but never tried doing it on Delta. I already have a positioning flight to YYZ on each outbound, and would rather just skip the JFK/YYZ; and LGA/YYZ legs on the way back - otherwise, I need to book two more flights from YYZ back to NY at the tail end.

thanks!!
Be aware that, in the event of IRROPS, you might be re-routed by DL, and never pass through NYC at all!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Aren't there already a bunch of other threads about this?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are tons of threads on this specific hidden city ticketing fraud issue. DL is likely well aware of it and whether OP attempts to short-check bags or not, DL likely has these tickets flagged for attention. Certainly the attempt to short-check will red-flag whatever color the flag is. OP doesn't list any status on DL, so not sure what, in particular DL could/would be bothered to do, especially if OP doesn't do this regularly.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:27 am
Original Poster

I didn't know that it was called "short-check" so when I tried searching nothing came up - only got correct terminology from new thread i posted.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:13 am

I didn't know that it was called "short-check" so when I tried searching nothing came up - only got correct terminology from new thread i posted.
You also could have searched hidden city ticketing. Which is what you're doing.

The morality of doing that has been discussed ad nauseum here. But as someone said before, you had best hope you don't have an IROP and DL re-routes you to YYZ totally bypassing NYC.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As long as aren't rerouted, the trip where port of entry is JFK won't be a problem. You'll need to pickup bags going through customs anyway. Just exit without recheck ingredients them.

The second trip you'll have an issue. You could check it in and do same as above, but in MSP. However only if it could be carried on for the flight to LGA. Otherwise it'll be checked all the way to YYZ when rechecking at MSP.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM
maybe search "gaming"
}
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
There are tons of threads on this specific hidden city ticketing fraud issue. DL is likely well aware of it and whether OP attempts to short-check bags or not, DL likely has these tickets flagged for attention. Certainly the attempt to short-check will red-flag whatever color the flag is. OP doesn't list any status on DL, so not sure what, in particular DL could/would be bothered to do, especially if OP doesn't do this regularly.
What's "regularly"? It seems like the OP is doing this twice in relatively short order, which probably heightens the risk.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbarnette
What's "regularly"? It seems like the OP is doing this twice in relatively short order, which probably heightens the risk.
I am Platinum - and this will be my first two times doing it. I've flown from YYZ to Asia before but always flew back all the way to YYZ and had a separate ticket home. - these will be my first two times. the china ticket is a $3000 delta one ticket if it makes a diff.

I am not opposed to buying a ticket from YYZ to LGA on the Japan flight if it is strongly advisable - but the problem with that is the LGA flights may very well be delayed. On the China flight I can't sit around for hours waiting for JFK to YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.