Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUC to JNB and/or CPT Oct 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Use the DL SC as long as possible. The KLM lounge is small and crowded. They'll give you access to the SC based on the other flights same day in KLM J.

You need to leave time to catch transportation to international terminal, and clear security as no airs idea connection at ORD. Your bags should be checked yhrough. If they don't then ask the check in agent to through tag them. klm is a partner they'll do so for on different tickets.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Use the DL SC as long as possible. The KLM lounge is small and crowded. They'll give you access to the SC based on the other flights same day in KLM J.

You need to leave time to catch transportation to international terminal, and clear security as no airs idea connection at ORD. Your bags should be checked yhrough. If they don't then ask the check in agent to through tag them. klm is a partner they'll do so for on different tickets.
That is the advice I was seeking. Thank you.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
So you got J from AMS-CPT and reverse? Did those segments show Z only when searching AMS-CPT on EF? Or when searching ORD-AMS-CPT?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by pgh234
So you got J from AMS-CPT and reverse? Did those segments show Z only when searching AMS-CPT on EF? Or when searching ORD-AMS-CPT?
I am in KL J ORD-AMS-CPT, CPT-AMS-ORD. When searching AMS-CPT alone on EF it shows 0 for Z. However, as a married segment with ORD or DTW then Z inventory shows up as 9 or 8, I think for both segments.

I am in early enough to get direct aisle access on the 747s and 777s so we'll see if future schedule changes make a mess of what I have.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
I am in KL J ORD-AMS-CPT, CPT-AMS-ORD. When searching AMS-CPT alone on EF it shows 0 for Z. However, as a married segment with ORD or DTW then Z inventory shows up as 9 or 8, I think for both segments.

I am in early enough to get direct aisle access on the 747s and 777s so we'll see if future schedule changes make a mess of what I have.
Thanks for the help...I guess I have to fire up the HUCA again. *Sigh*
Old Dec 13, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pgh234
This is incorrect. I saw one seat listed a Z for JFK-CPT-AMS. When searching for CPT-AMS on 10/8, there is zero available in Z.

The OP needs to read this thread:

Delta Upgrade Certificate Availability Confusion (KLM Operated)

I had similar problems where I believe there should be some way to upgrade all segments in an itinerary when Z is available via married segments and OP is available on DL operated flights. However, hours on the phone with DL and asking FT did not get me anywhere.
What I posted was NOT incorrect, it was Z availability on KLM flights only, not DL flights. You cannot search for JFK-AMS and AMS-CPT separately, you need to search JFK-CPT on KLM to see true Z availability.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by thepaul500
What I posted was NOT incorrect, it was Z availability on KLM flights only, not DL flights. You cannot search for JFK-AMS and AMS-CPT separately, you need to search JFK-CPT on KLM to see true Z availability.
Every DL agent I have talked to says it needs to be individual segments...like OP being available for NRT-SIN and not SEA-NRT in a SEA-NRT-SIN literary. You still get upgraded for NRT-SIN. It is like the old Skymiles saver availability when you would cobble together "Saver" segments.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to be sent some proof / language either way. The only one example in this thread is the only one I have seen
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Did we come to a quick answer to this one. If i search individual segments i do not find "Z available" If i search EWR-JNB connecting in AMS i see Z2 and Z2. I have called a few times to Delta Diamond and twitter and both are telling me it's not available.

thanks in advance
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
Did we come to a quick answer to this one. If i search individual segments i do not find "Z available" If i search EWR-JNB connecting in AMS i see Z2 and Z2. I have called a few times to Delta Diamond and twitter and both are telling me it's not available.

thanks in advance
KLM doesn't fly EWR-AMS, so you're actually looking for OY space on the Delta flight number EWR-AMS and then Z space on the KLM flight number AMS-CPT.

The initial booking will likely be on DL and then DL/KL flights, as that lets you use any fare (whereas booking as a straight KL/KL flight requires a YBM fare).

Once ticketed, the agent will upgrade with prime flight numbers.

This can be tricky with KLM, as they enforce married segment availability (and sometimes show availability only if the entire trip is KL marketed). There very well could be Z space when looking at EWR-AMS-CPT availability, but that may only be given to DL if sold as KL/DL flights (which, as mentioned above, required a much higher fare). The agent can't do anything if KL denies the space. Supervisors can't even do anything there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.