Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Detroit police drag a woman off DL2083 DTW>SAN today.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Detroit police drag a woman off DL2083 DTW>SAN today.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Detroit Airport police drag a woman off DL2083 DTW>SAN today.

Detroit Airport police drag a woman off DL2083 DTW>SAN today.

From a reader who took the video:

“She didn’t check in with gate agent and walked right on. [The] woman blew by gate agent and didn’t check in because she wasn’t an early boarder and deserved overhead bin space. Colleague in back by her said she was mouthy and had a huge attitude. Police tackled her out of her seat and brought her to the ground. Not sure how she was subdued, some people speculated a taser.”

Source is my blog post: http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/...und-san-diego/

Last edited by Renes Points; Dec 12, 2016 at 9:21 am Reason: Added "Airport Police" & updated YouTube link
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
When you said dragged, I didn't think it was literally!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Detroit police do not cover the airport. It has it's own police department. The airport is about 12 miles away from the city limits.

http://www.metroairport.com/PublicSa...ortPolice.aspx
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Renes Point deserves credit for at least contacting Delta. The update with Delta's comment is pretty much as I'd expect -- nothing titalating to add. Congrats Renes for sharing and earning some page views.

It sounds like the woman did not scan her boarding pass. This leaves the GA with only two options - call the cops to toss her, or walk on the plane to get the bp and walk it back up the jet bridge to the scanner. If the woman was not mouthy, but just a little mentally confused, perhaps the GA would help her, not toss her.

When this Diamond flyer ages enough to be occasionally mentally confused, I hope Delta extends some help to me when needed.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Renes Point deserves credit for at least contacting Delta. The update with Delta's comment is pretty much as I'd expect -- nothing titalating to add. Congrats Renes for sharing and earning some page views.

It sounds like the woman did not scan her boarding pass. This leaves the GA with only two options - call the cops to toss her, or walk on the plane to get the bp and walk it back up the jet bridge to the scanner. If the woman was not mouthy, but just a little mentally confused, perhaps the GA would help her, not toss her.

When this Diamond flyer ages enough to be occasionally mentally confused, I hope Delta extends some help to me when needed.
I once saw a passenger board with a BP for a different flight, so I assume he boarded without scanning (it was an ATL-RDU flight, and he was ticketed for the next scheduled ATL-RDU trip). He boarded and found his seat across the aisle from me. No one noticed a problem until a second passenger boarded with a BP for the same seat. The confused passenger was embarrassed and polite. He deplaned when asked, and everyone went on their merry way.

I also recently saw a passenger try to go back up the jet bridge after deplaning at BWI. He walked out into the gate house, past the desk, then realized he forgot his gate checked bag and started to go back to get it. The GA called out to him and said he couldn't go back due to security regs, but if he gave her a minute to finish her current task, she would go grab a his bag. He copped an attitude, and tried to sneak back to get it (after waiting a full 30 seconds). The GA finally said she would 1) call the cops if he tried to go up the jet bridge again and 2) send his bag to bag claim, so he could wait for it there. The guy was not happy, but he did finally sit and wait. The GA went to get his bag about a minute later.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Let me make this very clear to all that these disgusting POS posts which I have deleted were totally inappropriate and the DL moderators will not tolerate this type of behavior on FT. The next person that crosses the line will discover that FT's TOS will be strictly enforced.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
I don't understand what gets into some people...is it so hard to comply with the LEO's request? You force them to drag you down the aisle? What am I missing here? This appears to be more than somebody who is just confused.

Originally Posted by mpheels
I also recently saw a passenger try to go back up the jet bridge after deplaning at BWI. He walked out into the gate house, past the desk, then realized he forgot his gate checked bag and started to go back to get it. The GA called out to him and said he couldn't go back due to security regs...
This happened to me a few weeks ago - I was completely focused thinking about the meeting I had to get to and got about three steps off the plane into the jet bridge when I realized I'd left my bag on board. Turned around and tried to go get it but was told I could not re-board. One of the FA's nicely retrieved it for me.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I'm really intrigued that the FA continued with the boarding announcements despite the activity that was going on in the back.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I'm really intrigued that the FA continued with the boarding announcements despite the activity that was going on in the back.
Probably a (futile) effort to divert attention from the proceedings. Also, from our removed perspective, it's sort of funny/sad around 1:51 where someone (I'm guessing the removed passenger's traveling companion?) had to say "excuse me" several times around 1:51 to ask whoever was filming to stop leaning into the aisle so she could pass by.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:43 pm

Is this the only way to remove a passenger from the plane against their will? Seems like lots of potential for stuff waiting to happen. Injuries to passenger and the LEO.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:45 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I am simply a little bit amazed that a woman who looks like she has been rendered unconscious or dazed is being dragged off like a piece of baggage. You would think they'd be worried about a medical emergency for having used a taser?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by woodway
I don't understand what gets into some people...is it so hard to comply with the LEO's request? You force them to drag you down the aisle? What am I missing here? This appears to be more than somebody who is just confused.

This happened to me a few weeks ago - I was completely focused thinking about the meeting I had to get to and got about three steps off the plane into the jet bridge when I realized I'd left my bag on board. Turned around and tried to go get it but was told I could not re-board. One of the FA's nicely retrieved it for me.
That happened to me with a pink tag bag as well. I just described it to them and they got it for me.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I could be wrong but I think it is the Captain talking and that is why he may not be fully aware what was happening behind the closed cockpit door?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I love how the guy sitting across the aisle from the camera person looks to literally be eating popcorn (~0:45 mark)...I know often people claim they are going to get their popcorn ready during these types of events but he seems to have actually had some!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Hey Renes Points....nice feature of your site just now on the CBS Evening News!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.