Wiki Posts
Search

DL167 SEA-NRT-SIN Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
DL167 SEA-NRT-SIN Upgrades

I'm a DM with the Delta AmEx Reserve card and recently flew DL 167 from SEA to NRT to SIN and, the next week, back. On the way there, I successfully used a Global Upgrade Certificate, and though it didn't clear until I was at the gate (so stressful!), the Delta One experience was great all the way to Singapore, and I got a ride in a red Delta Porsche too on the Seattle tarmac! It was a great Delta experience!

On the way back, I didn't have a GUC and wasn't upgraded (as expected). However, I did notice on the Delta app that the GA processed and upgraded eight people into Delta One/business class (see attached screenshot). I was surprised. Is it possible/likely that there were eight (!) Diamonds with GUCs on that route? If it was an op-up situation, is it really likely that eight DM w/ Reserve were ahead of me on the secret list? Or, is there another way that people get upgraded on these routes that I'm unaware of? I'm not annoyed or mad -- I'm just curious, because if there's something else I should be doing to help me get a int'l upgrade, I'd love to do it.
-Hank
Attached Images  
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Non-Revs
GUCs
Upgrade With Miles
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade with Miles won't transfer/clear at the gate though, right?
-Hank
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:58 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Do you know if coach was overbooked?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Not so strange

Assuming OP is talking about the SIN-NRT leg, that route is full of DMs. In fact, I often take the non-Sky line for security (security screening is the the gate in SIN) because the line can be shorter than the Sky lane! On top of that, that route is notorious for not clearing GUCs until at the gate even on empty flights so 8 DMs on GUCs total would not be surprising.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Non-Revs
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Non-revs, DMso are all possible. OP-UPS don't have a set upgrade list priority. They could upgrade a nobody and leave a DM in Y.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:02 pm

They are not space-available nonrevs if their seat assignment is showing cleared on the Upgrade tab shown in the OP's attachment. All NRSA seat assignments are in the standby list tab.

In the OP's pic it looks like there were still people remaining on the upgrade list. Only confirmed passengers are on the upgrade list (this can include NRPS passengers).
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
Do you know if coach was overbooked?
I actually don't think it was. I saw some empty middle seats behind me on the flight.
-Hank
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
Assuming OP is talking about the SIN-NRT leg, that route is full of DMs. In fact, I often take the non-Sky line for security (security screening is the the gate in SIN) because the line can be shorter than the Sky lane! On top of that, that route is notorious for not clearing GUCs until at the gate even on empty flights so 8 DMs on GUCs total would not be surprising.
Okay, I guess that's totally possible. It's just that having 8 DMs with GUCs from SIN-NRT seemed very unlikely to me, but maybe I'm totally wrong. I guess could understand how filers could rack up a lot of miles if they fly SIN-SEA frequently for business since it's 17k roundtrip every time. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Hankle; Dec 8, 2016 at 2:45 am
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets
They are not space-available nonrevs if their seat assignment is showing cleared on the Upgrade tab shown in the OP's attachment. All NRSA seat assignments are in the standby list tab.

In the OP's pic it looks like there were still people remaining on the upgrade list. Only confirmed passengers are on the upgrade list (this can include NRPS passengers).
That's interesting -- I didn't know that non-revs are only visible on the Standby tab. Good to know. The fact that they upgrade non-revs to Delta One over DMs is baffling to me, but I'm sure that has been discussed to death and they have some good reasons.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Non-revs, DMso are all possible. OP-UPS don't have a set upgrade list priority. They could upgrade a nobody and leave a DM in Y.
They don't do op-up upgrades in the same order as normal upgrades? I had no idea. That's bizarre. What is the order?
-Hank
Old Dec 8, 2016, 3:20 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
1) Non-revs aren't upgraded into Delta One seats. They will clear directly into Delta One as an employee benefit. Since free (non certificate or mileage based) upgrades are not a published benefit for Medallions, Delta employees flying up front have have no bearing anything related to paying customers. Employees flying in domestic F ahead of paying Medallions is a whole different story.

2) Op-ups when overbooked in Y: Again, since free upgrades are not a published Medallion benefit, when Y is overbooked, a GA can move anyone up front that they want to, but they usually do go in the normal pecking order. For example, if Y is overbooked by 5, and the GA is running very close to departure time, the GA might UG a non-Medallion family of 5 to save time. It's unfortunate for top tier Medallions, but, that's just the way it is.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hankle
Okay, I guess that's totally possible. It's just that having 8 DMs with GUCs from SIN-NRT seemed very unlikely to me, but maybe I'm totally wrong. I guess could understand how filers could rack up a lot of miles if they fly SIN-SEA frequently for business since it's 17k roundtrip every time. Thanks for your input.
It could also be four DMs using GUCs for self and a traveling companion. In fact, the two MOHs on the list appear to be related.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:10 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I was on ICN-DTW a few weeks ago and there were 12 Diamonds on the Upgrade List for 2 seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.