Wiki Posts
Search

MEX to ACA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
MEX to ACA

I am headed to Mexico City on vacation in February. I was thinking about heading to Acapulco for a short stint. Booking all through DL gets a bit expensive. I have never booked directly on another skyteam airline. To book MEX-ACA-MEX on aeromexico can I just go to their site and plug in my DL number? Am I entitled to anything, like free checked bags? Getting the exchange rate makes the flights very attractive.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton, HI
Originally Posted by fujiteam
I am headed to Mexico City on vacation in February. I was thinking about heading to Acapulco for a short stint. Booking all through DL gets a bit expensive. I have never booked directly on another skyteam airline. To book MEX-ACA-MEX on aeromexico can I just go to their site and plug in my DL number? Am I entitled to anything, like free checked bags? Getting the exchange rate makes the flights very attractive.
It is cheaper to go through Aeromexico for the Mexico domestic flights. Yes, you can book online and put in your Skymiles number to get DL credit.

AM allows one free checked bag on main cabin, 2 bags on Clase Premier.
If you're Skyteam Elite, you have priority check-in, seating, boarding, and an extra bag. For lounge access, you need to be Skyteam Elite +.

Is this your first time in Mexico?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

yes it will be my first time in Mexico. Any suggestions/cautions?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Don't drink the water.

Also, I prefer PVR to ACA.

I go to MEX as many times year as I can! Not sure how many I've gone this year. Quite a few! I use the subways and buses A LOT, but, if you need a taxi, Uber is pretty good there, and ridiculously cheap!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Also, I prefer PVR to ACA.
Agree 110%.

Also, there is something different about how MQDs are earned on AM. While AM is usually cheaper than DL (for the exact same flights), I believe that your MQD earnings could be less. But then, it's not that long a flight, and shouldn't be that expensive.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
I'll third that sentiment- choose PVR over ACA. ACA was the place to be in the 70's, maybe into the 80's, but has gone waaay downhill, and has recently had some ugly drug cartel incidents in tourist areas. PVR remains nice and happy and removed from most of the bad stuff.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:16 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by fujiteam
yes it will be my first time in Mexico. Any suggestions/cautions?
Read the US State Department warning to employees about travel to Acapulco and surrounding areas, then consider your understanding of the situation and whether it is worth the risk. MEX is very, very safe, PVR is safe, Acapulco and many other areas (as much as we need the tourism) is unfortunately not as safe.

Of course you can book by AM's website or other locations, and are likely to find better fares intermexico; see above.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by G0H0KIES
It is cheaper to go through Aeromexico for the Mexico domestic flights. Yes, you can book online and put in your Skymiles number to get DL credit.

AM allows one free checked bag on main cabin, 2 bags on Clase Premier.
If you're Skyteam Elite, you have priority check-in, seating, boarding, and an extra bag. For lounge access, you need to be Skyteam Elite +.

Is this your first time in Mexico?
Actually DL can't sell a wholly domestic Mexico ticket, so one needs to goto AM. Even if DL tickets it, it's going to be an AM fare. Thus just easier to go through AM. Otherwise AM won't be able to make changes since DL will be the TA for intents of the ticket. (Which is why airlines don't like booking non-partner fares)
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:14 am
Original Poster

thanks all, I am convinced to go to PVR. It is the same price from MEX anyway. Thanks for helping me avoid that mistake.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by davetravels
I go to MEX as many times year as I can! Not sure how many I've gone this year. Quite a few! I use the subways and buses A LOT, but, if you need a taxi, Uber is pretty good there, and ridiculously cheap!
On a more positive note, and at the risk of lowering my upgrade chances on my commutes, MEX is just great, as well as coming to be referred to as the best place to live in the hemisphere-- health care affordable to purchase, property rising in cost with some great possibilities (someone bought the 30 bedroom property I wanted on Insurgentes, alas, and is renovating ...).

Subways, MetroBus and bus are good options-- I used to swear on the MetroBus' exclusive lane out to the airport to cut through traffic, but Uber is now great except at peak times, and under $5 to most central destinations.

Much of Mexico, not just PVR, is reachable from AICM and outside the areas impacted by the security situation. Please take the opportunity.

I'm not sure the word is out that Mexico City's once infamous crime problem is now largely a thing of the past, and that smog has been addressed by a variety of measures, putting CdMX better for air quality than Salt Lake, Nashville and of course L.A.

Please do spread the word that Mexico City has changed much for the better. No North American city compares for the greenways, downtown parks and forested areas, walking and cycling, nature and culture that you can find here.

As long as I am engaging in promotion, I think I may be able to claim a very (very) small amount of credit for the improvements we've made here. If you're thinking of relocating, establishing a presence or doing business in la Ciudad, please feel free to drop a message.

P.S. Do remember that like many other places, CdM does not have a potable public water supply. Much of the US would do well to follow, and probably will have to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.