Search

Medallion upgrades on award tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:57 am
formerly oyalkut
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM
Medallion upgrades on award tickets

I just reached my silver medallion status for the first time (with the help of MQM welcome bonus from new Delta Reserve) and was really looking forward to free upgrades. What I didn't realize is that tickets bought with miles are not eligible 😔
I'm guessing there isn't much I can do about it now, but wanted to check and see how you guys do this. Do you simply book revenue tickets and hope for upgrades? Or is there a trick I need to be aware of
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
From the T&C:

Starting October 10, 2016, Silver Medallion Members are eligible for Complimentary Upgrades to First Class on Award Travel, 24 hours prior to departure.

However, it does depend on the route, I believe.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by oyalkut
What I didn't realize is that tickets bought with miles are not eligible 😔
Why do you say that? From the upgrade priorities page:

"Members at the same Medallion level will be cleared in order of fare class groupings for revenue tickets, Award Tickets and Pay with Miles1 tickets, with higher fare classes among all ticket types holding higher priority."
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:18 pm
formerly oyalkut
Original Poster

On the top of my ticket in Delta app it says "Not complimentary upgrade eligible". I called Delta to ask Why and they said that it's because it's an award ticket.

Originally Posted by jackplum
From the T&C:

Starting October 10, 2016, Silver Medallion Members are eligible for Complimentary Upgrades to First Class on Award Travel, 24 hours prior to departure.

However, it does depend on the route, I believe.
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Why do you say that? From the upgrade priorities page:

"Members at the same Medallion level will be cleared in order of fare class groupings for revenue tickets, Award Tickets and Pay with Miles1 tickets, with higher fare classes among all ticket types holding higher priority."
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
What is your routing?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
It may just be inaccurately stating "not complimentary upgrade eligible" on Delta.com. Are you traveling just by yourself on the reservation? If so, upgrades on Award tickets apply to all Medallion tiers, just like on Revenue tickets (there is no route difference between applicability of Revenue vs Award upgrade).

However, if you have a non-Medallion with you on the Award reservation, you will ineligible for the upgrade. There are no companion upgrades on Award tickets.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:47 pm
formerly oyalkut
Original Poster

Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
What is your routing?
I have two tickets, one round trip LGA - FLL, the other JFK - MCO. Both say the same thing. Would that make a difference?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:52 pm
formerly oyalkut
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
It may just be inaccurately stating "not complimentary upgrade eligible" on Delta.com. Are you traveling just by yourself on the reservation? If so, upgrades on Award tickets apply to all Medallion tiers, just like on Revenue tickets (there is no route difference between applicability of Revenue vs Award upgrade).

However, if you have a non-Medallion with you on the Award reservation, you will ineligible for the upgrade. There are no companion upgrades on Award tickets.
So this might be the right explanation: I am flying with my husband (non-Medalion), both of us on tickets purchased with miles.

So what's the best solution in such cases? Should I book both tickets separately and (if I get my free upgrade) just pay for his?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:12 pm

So this might be the right explanation: I am flying with my husband (non-Medalion), both of us on tickets purchased with miles.

So what's the best solution in such cases? Should I book both tickets separately and (if I get my free upgrade) just pay for his?
For the reservation you have now, you can call the Silver Medallion line and have them split your reservation. It would put your husband on a different confirmation number and keep you on the current one (by yourself). They can notate that you two are traveling together. You would not be able to pay "cash" for an upgrade for your husband since he is on an Award ticket.

In the future, you can just book the reservations separately. Again, not an issue being together if it was on a Paid ticket, but with Award tickets, a non-Medallion member will disqualify both for an upgrade (to C+ and First).
Old Nov 25, 2016, 3:39 pm
formerly oyalkut
Original Poster

I guess I can pay miles to upgrade my husband's ticket, assuming I get the complimentary on mine.

I do have a question about the process - if you get an upgrade, does Delta just place you into a seat of their choosing? Or do they notify you that you are eligible and let you pick your own seat? If they let me pick, that would be perfect - I'll only move if I can get an upgraded seat for my husband. But if they separate us, I'm not sure that would be worth it.

Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
For the reservation you have now, you can call the Silver Medallion line and have them split your reservation. It would put your husband on a different confirmation number and keep you on the current one (by yourself). They can notate that you two are traveling together. You would not be able to pay "cash" for an upgrade for your husband since he is on an Award ticket.

In the future, you can just book the reservations separately. Again, not an issue being together if it was on a Paid ticket, but with Award tickets, a non-Medallion member will disqualify both for an upgrade (to C+ and First).
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:01 pm

I guess I can pay miles to upgrade my husband's ticket, assuming I get the complimentary on mine.

I do have a question about the process - if you get an upgrade, does Delta just place you into a seat of their choosing? Or do they notify you that you are eligible and let you pick your own seat? If they let me pick, that would be perfect - I'll only move if I can get an upgraded seat for my husband. But if they separate us, I'm not sure that would be worth it.
Paying miles for your husband's ticket would essentially be paying the difference of what it would cost to book a First Class award, so it might be quite costly (especially if you got a fairly cheap Main Cabin award ticket).

For the upgrade, you will be moved automatically. You can go into your SkyMiles profile and select your upgrade preferences (essentially opting-in or out to the auto upgrade) for both Comfort+ and First Class. If you were upgraded but then wanted to get moved back down, you would have to call Reservations.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM

In addition to the potential high cost in Skymiles that DiscoPapa points out, it is not likely that there would be a seat in F available for your husband after you are upgraded. As a silver medallion you would not get upgraded until all higher medallions have been upgraded, so the chances of availability of an award seat in F at that point are really slim. In addition, it may not be possible to change his ticket then since it would be within the 72-hour period when award tickets cannot be redeposited. I'm not certain about the whole process but I think upgrading his award ticket would involve redepositing the miles and then booking the new award.

If you feel really strongly about being in the same cabin and sitting together, you probably should opt out of the upgrade.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't forget that DL might charge the $150 fee to change an award ticket.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't forget that DL might charge the $150 fee to change an award ticket.
Yes, that too!

OP, we must all sound like Debbie Downer! But we're giving you the reality of your situation.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
In addition to the potential high cost in Skymiles that DiscoPapa points out, it is not likely that there would be a seat in F available for your husband after you are upgraded. As a silver medallion you would not get upgraded until all higher medallions have been upgraded, so the chances of availability of an award seat in F at that point are really slim. In addition, it may not be possible to change his ticket then since it would be within the 72-hour period when award tickets cannot be redeposited. I'm not certain about the whole process but I think upgrading his award ticket would involve redepositing the miles and then booking the new award.

If you feel really strongly about being in the same cabin and sitting together, you probably should opt out of the upgrade.
DL is happy to take more miles to upgrade you day of without worrying about the 72 hour rule or redeposit fee. Never had a problem with this.

OP - last minute F award tickets are insanely costly (usually). And as a FO on an award you have a less than 5% chance of upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.