Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me limit my liability

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Help me limit my liability

My daughter's school is having a charity auction and I'm thinking of donating "2 roundtrip coach tickets to anywhere Delta flies in the US, Hawaii, Mexico, Caribbean, and Canada." I have 450K miles. Is there any situation where I would have to spend more than 450K miles to fulfill this promise?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You should check with DL to make sure this is allowed by the program. They might take a dim view of it and could potentially take away all of your miles.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:25 am

That seems like a difficult proposition for you. As it's not as simple as transferring 50-100K miles or so and letting them do what they will.

You're going to have to search and book the tickets unless you want to give them your SM info...not a good idea.

They are highly unlikely to understand that when they want to book flights XXX-YYY on Z day, that you can get lower mileage rates by waiting a while. Or they are going to inform you less than a week out their travel info.

While it is a very thoughtful idea, I think you will hate the practicality of executing it.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
This sounds like a nightmare. I would just offer up some miles. These kinds of thing only work if you have an actual voucher to give.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your offer violates the t&c's of the SM program and subjects you to having your account closed and the tickets being cancelled, leaving you, your daughter and her school with egg on your respective faces (however it is that a school has a face) and some charitable type person either without a trip or stranded somewhere unable to use their ticket to get home.

In order to do what you are considering, you should call DL and obtain specific permission for the donation and the auction. DL approves these but will want to be assured that the donation is for a bona fide charity and that the funds paid for the tickets are paid solely to the charity.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
I feel like gift certificates would be better. The 450k points is worth lots and lots of money, and I think it's definitely possible to book flights that consume much more of that than I would think the flights are really worth; if you buy a couple $500 gift certificates (for example) you keep the "adventure of travel" element and you know how much you're spending.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
When you report the donation value on Schedule A, do you calculate it based on some SkyMiles value (however substantiated, but that's another story), or based on the cost of ticket (lowest, in the same class, at the same time award is issued) ?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Wow, an interesting set of responses.

Giving miles is not tax deductible. Not going to do it.

My question really is, without an award chart, are there Delta tickets that can cost more than 220K each for roundtrip coach travel in the US, Hawaii, Caribbean, Canada, Mexico?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by thesaints
When you report the donation value on Schedule A, do you calculate it based on some SkyMiles value (however substantiated, but that's another story), or based on the cost of ticket (lowest, in the same class, at the same time award is issued) ?
Isn't that going to depend on how you reported the income when your earned the miles?

Presuming that you did not report the miles as income as per current interpretations, you have a $0 basis in the miles and therefore the value of the donation is also $0.

You can't have it both ways !
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I wouldn't do it.

I couldn't imagine there would be a coach award more than 440,000 miles in the areas you listed but never say never.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool

But you can not gift a ticket. Tickets are non transferable, so you are gifting the payment regardless of what you say.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I've never seen any that high...but why not just add some fine print "Two Delta award tickets using SkyMiles. Tickets must be less than 100,000 Miles each." That should cover 99% of tickets. The old "Peak" price, circa 2015, was 65K I think (domestic) and 75K (Central/Mexico) and 90K (Hawaii)
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by orca15
I've never seen any that high...but why not just add some fine print "Two Delta award tickets using SkyMiles. Tickets must be less than 100,000 Miles each." That should cover 99% of tickets. The old "Peak" price, circa 2015, was 65K I think.
But then OP has to play travel agent for whomever buys the tickets.

And if they decide to make any changes, all miles have to come out of the original account.

I'm saying that even if it was allowed under the terms and conditions of Skymiles it's going to potentially be a huge pain for the OP.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool

My question really is, without an award chart, are there Delta tickets that can cost more than 220K each for roundtrip coach travel in the US, Hawaii, Caribbean, Canada, Mexico?
Even full price award coach tickets to Hawaii won't cost anywhere close to 220k RT. Even a FC ticket to Hawaii RT shouldn't cost anywhere close to 220k.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by kop84
But then OP has to play travel agent for whomever buys the tickets.

And if they decide to make any changes, all miles have to come out of the original account.

I'm saying that even if it was allowed under the terms and conditions of Skymiles it's going to potentially be a huge pain for the OP.
Granted...but OP is trying to turn SMs into charity, has been advised of the possible issues, and I for one wish him/her good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.