PreCheck vs Sky Priority

Old Nov 15, 16, 8:19 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 51
PreCheck vs Sky Priority

Sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find anything while searching.

What is faster PreCheck or SkyPriority? I am leaving Friday morning out of ATL->BOS this is my first time with SkyPriority. Normally the PreCheck lines at Atlanta are hit or miss, there are too many of us, but it's nice not to take off my shoes/belt and take out my laptop.
ems717 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 16, 8:30 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ATL
Programs: SPG, DL
Posts: 288
Originally Posted by ems717 View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find anything while searching.

What is faster PreCheck or SkyPriority? I am leaving Friday morning out of ATL->BOS this is my first time with SkyPriority. Normally the PreCheck lines at Atlanta are hit or miss, there are too many of us, but it's nice not to take off my shoes/belt and take out my laptop.
My rule of thumb is if PreCheck extends outside the glassed in area, I go SkyPriority. Hasn't led me astray yet--most I've waited is 10 min in the Sky lane.
ATLawyer is offline  
Old Nov 15, 16, 8:35 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: home airport BUF or RSW
Programs: Delta DM, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond Elite ***Princess Status***
Posts: 872
One other factor when you do your quick assessment - wheelchairs or large families with strollers and multiple small children.
nikitta28 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 16, 9:01 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 51
Thanks for advice, I'll be traveling with someone with out PreCheck or SkyPriority so I'll end up waiting for them anyway. But we'll
see what happens.
ems717 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 16, 9:33 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central FL
Programs: DL Plat; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Gold; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Posts: 515
Interesting question. A couple of airports I've flown from recently (LAX & JFK come to mind) have offered both SkyPriority and PreCheck lines. I've tried both but my experience is a bit limited. At LAX I used SP but could follow the usual pre-check criteria of keeping my shoes on and laptop in the bag by showing the person manning the belt my boarding pass again. In JFK I opted to just go to the PreCheck line.
jalves is offline  
Old Nov 15, 16, 9:56 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 9
I have not yet had the luxury of participating in the TSA Pre-Check line but the Sky Priority has been hit or miss for me on a couple of occasions now.

On my most recent trip out of Logan, there were two separate lines. The first was for the part where you give your boarding pass and identification to the TSA agent who greenlights you to move forward. The second line was for the examination itself and this was moving painfully slow on the particular day I went. So in this case, the Sky Priority did nothing for me. I ended up waiting 15~ minutes anyways.
pauldrew00 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 16, 10:31 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,406
Originally Posted by pauldrew00 View Post
I have not yet had the luxury of participating in the TSA Pre-Check line but the Sky Priority has been hit or miss for me on a couple of occasions now.

On my most recent trip out of Logan, there were two separate lines. The first was for the part where you give your boarding pass and identification to the TSA agent who greenlights you to move forward. The second line was for the examination itself and this was moving painfully slow on the particular day I went. So in this case, the Sky Priority did nothing for me. I ended up waiting 15~ minutes anyways.
While I'd never pay for it, Clear has been a life send IMO. Doesn't matter if Precheck or not. Get to go straight to front of line. IMO they could get more to sign up for PreCheck if they simply took your fingerprints and let you skip the line for ID checker. Clear is nothing but an e-gate replacing ID checker, why it's not part of Precheck is baffling actually.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Nov 15, 16, 11:07 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 44,571
A well-run Pre-Check line such as at IAD/DCA, processed 6-7 pax for every one moving through the standard line. That is a combination of experienced Officers, a good physical setup and likely a more experienced traveling cohort.

It has to be a really, really long regular line to make me opt for anything other than Pre-Check.

Part of it is also that I am completely set up for Pre-Check. I simply dump my pockets into a side pouch of my briefcase (I don't worry about what is metal and what is not) and then add my phone once I've scanned my BP. Not worrying about shoes, coats, laptops and belts is worth something.

If you are with a non-pre-checker, I just wait for them or tell them that I'll meet them at a pre-determined spot.
Often1 is online now  
Old Nov 15, 16, 12:37 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 13,701
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
... more experienced traveling cohort.
as you describe ...
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I am completely set up for Pre-Check. I simply dump my pockets into a side pouch of my briefcase (I don't worry about what is metal and what is not) and then add my phone once I've scanned my BP. Not worrying about shoes, coats, laptops and belts ...
it's all about knowing how to be efficient ... I'm usually wearing a sport coat or blazer or lightweight jacket: reading glasses (in a case) are in an inside pocket, along w pen (to do the crossword in the inflight magazine, and to write the tail number on the paper BP -- yes I'm a geek about that ); sunglasses go into the breast pocket, phone goes into a side pocket; jacket goes on the belt with laptop case and rollaboard
jrl767 is online now  
Old Nov 15, 16, 1:18 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AUS
Programs: DL-DM/ 2MM
Posts: 263
at AUS the Pre line can be quite long as everyone that had previously used the priority line moved over there. Now the priority line is almost empty, and if you go through that line and you are Pre qualified, the doc-checker will just route you over to the Pre line at the x-ray belt, thereby jumping the long Pre queue waiting for their docs to be checked... You become "that guy" for all the Pre folks, but it can save 10 minutes. Although now I have taken Delta up on their offer of free Clear membership for diamonds, so I skip all the lines....very nice. Thank you Delta.
geoflyer is offline  
Old Nov 15, 16, 1:46 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,162
Originally Posted by ems717 View Post
Thanks for advice, I'll be traveling with someone with out PreCheck or SkyPriority so I'll end up waiting for them anyway. But we'll
see what happens.
Then definitely spend your time waiting in the Pre line.

IME the Pre lines in ATL move pretty quick, even if they appear long, since they just process people that much faster. I can't remember ever having to wait more than 5 or 10 mins in a Pre line in ATL, and I fly on Monday mornings quite often.
gooselee is offline  
Old Nov 15, 16, 1:47 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Programs: DL DM / GE / APEC
Posts: 61
I've actually tested this a couple of times at JFK, as my sometimes travel companion is ineligible for TSA Pre but gets Sky Priority when on an itinerary with me.

Twice we specifically tested by entering the lines at the exact same time. Both times in Sky Priority they happened beat me to the other side in Pre -- but only by about 1-2 minutes. I never find the lines at JFK T4 to be very long at all however. So personally, I'd take that extra minute in exchange for not having to remove shoes and laptop, but if someone was in a SUPER rush this data point might be useful.
mrothly is offline  
Old Nov 15, 16, 3:11 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Posts: 559
Originally Posted by mrothly View Post
I've actually tested this a couple of times at JFK, as my sometimes travel companion is ineligible for TSA Pre but gets Sky Priority when on an itinerary with me.

Twice we specifically tested by entering the lines at the exact same time. Both times in Sky Priority they happened beat me to the other side in Pre -- but only by about 1-2 minutes. I never find the lines at JFK T4 to be very long at all however. So personally, I'd take that extra minute in exchange for not having to remove shoes and laptop, but if someone was in a SUPER rush this data point might be useful.
This. Especially in the winter months when passengers have extra layers, I'll take the Pre-Check line every time regardless of the length of Sky Priority (my home airport is DCA).
Navig8R is offline  
Old Nov 15, 16, 6:23 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Posts: 255
In my experience Pre-Check is always faster and even if it wasn't, I love not taking my shoes and belt off and taking my laptop out of my bag.

I will also say in DTW the Pre-Check line likely looks intimidating on Mondays but they really focus their staff on it. Normally there are 6-8 people checking tickets and IDs and 4+ lanes open so they get 30-40 people through in roughly 5 minutes in my experience. And I've also experienced going to Sky Priority and being first in line and waiting 10-15 minutes because they have only one lane open and people have to get 2-3 bins each so there is a giant line once you get your ticket scanned.
AKABrownBear is offline  
Old Nov 15, 16, 6:56 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 55
Pre-check has usually been more convenient/efficient for me-- but again, depends on how long the line is.
wandering_nomad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: