Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know how Delta recycles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Anyone know how Delta recycles?

I have been on a lot of international flights with Delta and it amazes me the amount of plastic cups and paper Starbucks cups they go through per flight. On my last trip to Asia, I literally clocked a Flight Attendant doing water rounds every 10 to 12 minutes for the duration of the flight. My seatmate was joking that they are try to drown us or try to make up for the tiny meal that was not filling at all. Every time Delta serve a new drink or refresh a drink, they use a brand new cup. I usually ask the FA to pour into my current cup, but they really hated that, because throws them off their serving rhythm. While the plastic cups may be machine cleaned and reused, I doubt the Starbucks paper cups can be washed...

I am happy that they are very good with keeping you hydrated. While I am not a tree-huger, I am just unease about the number of cups they go through, flight after and after, it's really A LOT of cups. On Asia airlines, they would come around with a serving tray and large bottle of water. They hand you the tray and expect you to drop your cup, to which the water is pour into your cup and given back to you. I don't see why Delta doesn't try to do that, especially when those plastic cups are high quality and material-dense and is considered extra weight to be carrying so many of.

Anyone know how Delta wash/recycle these cups? It's truly astonishing how many cups they go through per flight...

Last edited by wlau; Nov 10, 2016 at 7:30 pm
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:39 pm

They are supposed to recycle. Don't know how they do that internationally if the country doesn't recycle.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...inability.html
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:50 am

My anecdotal evidence is that I believe on most large planes they have separate galley waste bins for paper/other. I'm also not sure if there is separated food waste. Where that goes after the plane lands may be country specific, but I believe they separate some waste onboard.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OP - DL is NOT rinsing and reusing the plastic cups. They are one time use.

There are sanitary concerns allowing a shared water bottle or ice scoop to come into contact with a cup that you've already used - aka already has your germs all over it. I for one am glad they use a new cup each time.

DL FAs are very good with recycling, where applicable, in my observations. And I don't think you should worry about a commercial air carrier's waste disposal; I'm sure there are operational, legal, and financial reasons all influencing their disposal choices.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:29 am

I thought that all International garbage is incinerated @ ATL.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by United_727
I thought that all International garbage is incinerated @ ATL.
I think that is very common as the regs (both customs and USDA) make proper recycling expensive.

I do not know what happened, but a couple years ago there was a bid out for a dedicated recycling facility at ATL that could handle international.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I think that is very common as the regs (both customs and USDA) make proper recycling expensive.

I do not know what happened, but a couple years ago there was a bid out for a dedicated recycling facility at ATL that could handle international.
All international waste is incinerated.

I am not sure about US planes going into other countries if they incinerate. I would think some countries would.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've always wondered what happens to the small thin washcloths that are used for the hot towel service. They don't look like they'd be worth reusing or even able to withstand commercial laundry with hot water and detergent/bleach. Some foreign carriers use high quality washcloths for this and even high quality small hand towels in their FC lavatories.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've always wondered what happens to the small thin washcloths that are used for the hot towel service. They don't look like they'd be worth reusing or even able to withstand commercial laundry with hot water and detergent/bleach. Some foreign carriers use high quality washcloths for this and even high quality small hand towels in their FC lavatories.
Delta throws them out, I have seen the FAs throw them in the trash on 2 different occasions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.