Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Got refunded TWICE for a single canceled reservation.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM

To make a long story short, I booked a flight using a Delta e-certificate ($50) + credit card (~$100). I canceled it due to a schedule change (> 4 hours). Somehow I ended up with $150 back as an e-certificate AND $150 refunded back to my card.

What would you guys do in this situation?
  1. Tell Delta.
  2. Throw away the e-certificate. It's honest, though some bean counter will probably be upset.
  3. Use the e-certificate, because DL's screw ups have cost me more than $150 before in the past.

I'm leaning towards option 1 because karma. But, given that they screwed up the refund process so badly, I'm wondering if they'll screw up taking the over-refund back and end up triple charging me...
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You know the right thing to do
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I would wait and see if it gets corrected. If it doesn't you can call. However previous experience is that for small amounts DL won't do anything. In their opinion it costs more time wise to fix, than the little they accidentally errored in giving.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
You know the right thing to do but you want someone to tell you not to do it.
Fixed that for you.

And, someone here will fulfill the need.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I wouldn't tell DL, as they might well screw it up again. Just don't use the certificate.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I wouldn't tell DL, as they might well screw it up again. Just don't use the certificate.
We have a winner!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I would wait and see if it gets corrected. If it doesn't you can call. However previous experience is that for small amounts DL won't do anything. In their opinion it costs more time wise to fix, than the little they accidentally errored in giving.
I'm curious how it would be corrected on its own. The credit has already posted to my card. Would they charge my card (without authorization)? Or would they rescind the e-credit somehow (would I get a notification)?

Anyway, I'll contact DL, and post the outcome here.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yaychemistry
I'm curious how it would be corrected on its own. The credit has already posted to my card. Would they charge my card (without authorization)? Or would they rescind the e-credit somehow (would I get a notification)?

Anyway, I'll contact DL, and post the outcome here.
They could pull the e-credit or post a correction to your CC. Things like this do get caught sometimes when a transaction report gets reviewed at some point. The CC companies have policies to allow merchants to fix errors in transactions.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
You may also find that the eCredit is just impossible to use and won't revalidate or something going when they try to exchange it for a new ticket.

That happened to me once when I SDC'd for a flight and then had to no-show at the last minute. I usually have a handful of ecredits in my account from cancelled flights and grab and use them when it makes sense. Tried to use that one and it wouldn't go through online, then when I called they were able to track it back to the original trip and see that it was basically a credit that had no applicable value, but showed up because the segment was left open or something.

I didn't know/care about the backend part of it.. What mattered was DL's systems were smart enough to recognize that the credit shouldn't actually be valid for use.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This thread reminds me that I need to track down a refund from a delayed flight during the August DL meltdown. When I look at my FF account, I see that DL applied all of the MQDs from the RT ticket to the return, which I did fly. Since I don't need MQDs, I wan't my refund or at least a credit toward a future flight, although I'm entitled to the refund.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This could be a violation of DL CoC as refund is only allowed back to original form of payment only. I would file a DOT complaint.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This thread reminds me that I need to track down a refund from a delayed flight during the August DL meltdown. When I look at my FF account, I see that DL applied all of the MQDs from the RT ticket to the return, which I did fly. Since I don't need MQDs, I wan't my refund or at least a credit toward a future flight, although I'm entitled to the refund.
I claimed trip in vain for a trip during the meltdown. I got to keep MQM for the segments I flew, plus they gave me the full RT MQD broken over those segments and a full refund. No MQM though for the segments I never actually flew.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I agree with this. ^
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Call Delta and tell them. The agent will most likely just thank you for your honestly and tell you to keep and use both--this way your honest and you get to use the bonus guilt free.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Use the online complaint form to tell Delta they messed up your refund. You'll probably get some Skymiles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.