Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Thai Air in NRT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nada!
DL to Thai Air in NRT

I'm looking at DTW to NRT on DL#275 and then switching to Thai air for a flight to Bangkok. The connection time in NRT is 90 minutes. Any thoughts on if this is enough time, good/bad idea?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by sr_tipitinas
I'm looking at DTW to NRT on DL#275 and then switching to Thai air for a flight to Bangkok. The connection time in NRT is 90 minutes. Any thoughts on if this is enough time, good/bad idea?
If one ticket, the MCT for this connection is 60 minutes.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
I was scheduled to continue to BKK on Delta before they stopped flying that route. They wound up putting us on All Nippon (NH807) which has an 80 minute layover and we have been told that's not a problem. Don't know how the connection to other airlines would be.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

It will be one ticket
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
It will be one ticket
No problem at all.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Easily done within that time frame. You just go through the connecting passengers gate which entails a short security check.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mapleg
Easily done within that time frame. You just go through the connecting passengers gate which entails a short security check.
Are they in same terminal? Last time I had flights connecting between terminals was not fun. You clear security into the terminal you arrive at, find a bus, get bussed to other terminal and need to reclear security after the bus ride at the other terminal. It's been a few years, but I remember it was a pain.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO it's very reasonable if you depart from NRT T1, which DL uses. Star alliance flights in T1 use the next couple circular gate areas. I sometimes stroll down there in order to window shop and get a bit of exercise in the airport before a flight. However, if you must change to T2 (I know ANA uses T1 but I'm not sure about Thai), then you need MUCH more time for the infrequent inter terminal connections bus and transfer path.

The good news is that you'll have a much better lounge in BKK for departure than the minimal SkyTeam (AF) one that's way down at the end of the far concourse. The ANA NRT lounge is also quite decent, but so are the NRT SCs.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Are they in same terminal? Last time I had flights connecting between terminals was not fun. You clear security into the terminal you arrive at, find a bus, get bussed to other terminal and need to reclear security after the bus ride at the other terminal. It's been a few years, but I remember it was a pain.
Yes, both airlines use Terminal 1. Star Alliance flights are all at Terminal 1 (as is Delta)
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

So I bought the ticket and then tried to upgrade to Comfort + for the Delta portion. It was an extra $3000 to do it bc there were other airlines on the same ticket. So I spending an hour with DL on the phone, I had to cancel the ticket and book the DL portion separately from the Thai part so I could get Comfort+. The ticket went from $795 to $2000. $2000 is still not that bad of a price but $795 was really nice. I had visions of a $1000 RT comfort+ ticket. Oh well...
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:18 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
The ticket went from $795 to $2000.
PLEEEEEEEZ clarify!!!

You paid $1205 to sit in Delta Comfort Plus from DTW to NRT?!?!? <and I guess NRT back to DTW>?

Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:13 am
Original Poster

All the way MSY to BKK RT was $795 in coach but couldn't do Comfort+ because airlines other than DL were on itinerary. But I wanted Comfort+ so I had to split the tickets into 2 seperate tickets-one MSY-NRT RT and NRT-BKK RT and total cost jumped to $2000. Going all DL flight numbers, the cost would have been $4000 in C+ until I split the itinerary.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
All the way MSY to BKK RT was $795 in coach but couldn't do Comfort+ because airlines other than DL were on itinerary. But I wanted Comfort+ so I had to split the tickets into 2 seperate tickets-one MSY-NRT RT and NRT-BKK RT and total cost jumped to $2000. Going all DL flight numbers, the cost would have been $4000 in C+ until I split the itinerary.
Beware. MCT applies for through tickets. You have separate tickets.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:52 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
When I check Main Cabin fares vs Comfort Plus from DTW to NRT, I get an approximate difference of $240 round trip.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta Platimum, United 1K
Now, you might not be protected if there is a delay going to NRT because of separate tickets. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.