Wiki Posts
Search

Off sale liquor at MSP, not duty free?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
Off sale liquor at MSP, not duty free?

Does msp have off sale (excluding duty free) anywhere?
Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by milesk
Thanks
At Syrdyk's you can/could at least buy bottles of wine, including half bottles, but they're about to vanish from MSP. They are/were located in about the middle of the main airside shopping concourse, of course in terminal 1 that DL uses. This was an outpost location of a big wine store, cheese shop, and deli located close to downtown Minneapolis. The airport has a small bar and restaurant, including some charming sidewalk tables out in the shopping concourse, limited prepared deli items, and bottles of wine for sale along one wall, plus a few half bottles and chilled whites on the other side. The airport wine selections and prices weren't great and I never saw a wine sale here, but it was a convenient way to grab a bottle to bring as a gift for someone immediately upon arrival. I don't recall ever trying to do this on a Sunday, so I don't know if they somehow had an airport exception from our normal value laws.

Some other large USA airports, including DTW for example, have Vino Volo wine bars that IIRC also sell takeaway bottles, but they're not at MSP.

MN alcohol laws allow some beer, AFAIK 3.2% only, to be sold at convenience stores, such as at gas stations, but wine, most beer, and hard alcohol can only be sold at liquor stores and farm wineries. Beer can be sold at breweries. IIRC wine can be sold at farm wineries on Sunday, but otherwise no alcohol package sales on Sundays in the state.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Oct 13, 2016 at 11:37 am
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Thanks
Just for the record, anyone can shop at the Duty Free stores. It's just taxed like normal if you're not traveling internationally.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't recall ever trying to do this on a Sunday, so I don't know if they somehow had an airport exception from our normal value laws.
Can't buy wine there on Sundays. They cover up the wine display and post a sign.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
MN alcohol laws allow some beer, AFAIK 3.2% only, to be sold at convenience stores, such as at gas stations, but wine, most beer, and hard alcohol can only be sold at liquor stores and farm wineries.
Is that even still considered beer at only 3.2%?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lbcnu
Can't buy wine there on Sundays. They cover up the wine display and post a sign.
However, I wonder about buying alcohol in duty free on Sunday if you're not leaving the country. I've never seen a duty free store close on Sunday, but I've never seen people use it to buy alcohol in the USA when you're not leaving the USA. OTOH I do regularly see price signs in duty free stores overseas showing taxed and untaxed levels.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: none
FWIW, Surdyk's also has a facility in Terminal 2 at MSP. I assume the same restrictions apply.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
FWIW, Surdyk's also has a facility in Terminal 2 at MSP. I assume the same restrictions apply.
Except for parking there once when the ramp at terminal 1 was full, I haven't been in terminal two since it was a temporary looking structure used for international arrivals at MSP.

Terminal 2 is still in the state, so the same rules should apply. In fact, it's the expansions of Terminal 1 concourses that seem more likely to cross the expressway and eventually the border.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Just for the record, anyone can shop at the Duty Free stores. It's just taxed like normal if you're not traveling internationally.
Really? I never new or even thought about that. I am travelling tonight so Sunday is not an issue. I'll check it out.

Thanks everyone.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Really? I never new or even thought about that. I am travelling tonight so Sunday is not an issue. I'll check it out.

Thanks everyone.
Keep us posted as I cannot imagine that to be possible.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to buy some fragrance at an MIA duty free store a few months ago and they said they couldn't sell it to me unless I had an INTL BP.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
FWIW I once tried to buy scotch from duty free at LAX on a domestic ticket and they wouldn't let me. Seems the sign saying "everyone can shop here" or whatever, has some caveats.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
You cannot buy alcohol at duty free on Sundays in MSP (regardless of destination).

Not that it helps at the airport, but you can also buy growlers on Sundays at breweries provided the growler is filled on-site.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Except for parking there once when the ramp at terminal 1 was full, I haven't been in terminal two since it was a temporary looking structure used for international arrivals at MSP.

Terminal 2 is still in the state, so the same rules should apply. In fact, it's the expansions of Terminal 1 concourses that seem more likely to cross the expressway and eventually the border.
Terminal 2 has definitely improved since you were there. It has a good array of places to eat (including Surdyk's, as noted elsewhere in this thread) and is bright and spacious. It has about 10 gates in one concourse and is calmer than Terminal 1.

In regard to wine sales, something referred to as a "wine and cheese concept" will be one of the new businesses going into the mall area that was formerly occupied by the Body Shop, Everything ASAP, a MN sports store, and Gadgets to Go.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
For non-Sundays, there's a nice liquor store inside Mall of America (if a short light rail ride to a huge mall fits with your plans).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.