Community
Wiki Posts
Search

57 minutes into flight on a redeye

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
57 minutes into flight on a redeye

Not even an attempt at an offer for beverage or snack basket in F (paid for those who care).

Seat belt sign turned off about 30 minutes ago.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
They should have done it. But if they hadn't at 35-40 mins I would have either rung the call button or asked the FA when service is to begin. No one wants to waste time on a redeye
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
When they do this, they figure with a little delay, more passengers will just go to sleep.

then they have less to deal with. They don't care when they serve since they have to stay awake anyways.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Red Eye FA's in my experience try to do as little as possible. I have been on way too many to count.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Frogbone
Red Eye FA's in my experience try to do as little as possible. I have been on way too many to count.
My last red-eye... FC FA proactively brings me a refill, looked like a double. I had not even finished my first.

Then, back to galley and the curtain gets drawn.

I put a positive interpretation on it... figured she was trying to avoid disturbing others by being in the aisle later during flight.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by apodo77
Not even an attempt at an offer for beverage or snack basket in F (paid for those who care).

Did you ring your call button to ask for a drink and snack?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I had excellent service on my recent HNL-LAX redeye.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you ring your call button to ask for a drink and snack?
The OP is talking about flying First Class. Would you argue that there is no reason to complain if s/he did actually ring the call button and got the bare minimum service one expects of any class of air travel, let alone First?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:10 pm

Interestingly on International Red Eyes they serve a snack and drink and then a hot breakfast before landing as the case on a Dubai-London Flight which is about 5.5 hours. So if Delta can't offer a drink service and snack unobtrusively in First Class then they may need to pony up and fix it.

Perhaps having a Cheese Platter and a drink and even have Do Not Disturb Signs you could put on the seatrest. I have flown redeyes from HNL-SFO in FIrst and a hot snack and drink were provided.

If the passenger rang their call button then I would imagine that a Flight attendant would get up and ask what the passenger would like. I would write into Delta not expecting much compensation.

For the most part if I have lounge access I will drink and have a snack there so I can sleep on the plane. But if something is offered I would take it.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Location: No longer spreadin' into your seat... down 187 pounds and at goal!
Programs: Delta360; DL Private Jets; Former KFC Golden Bucket
1. If the OP was just bored and simply noting the service offerings and timing to entertain himself, then he should send a note to DL so they can determine if this experience was within the specs of the standard operating procedures

2. If the OP was truly thirsty and hungry, he should have either pressed the FA call button or gotten out of his seat and gone to the galley

3. The FAs on these flights should come around before take-off and explain the service. For example, Good evening Mr FattieOnBoard. This is a red-eye flight and I want to respect those passengers who'd like to sleep. Therefore I will not be coming through the cabin with a formal service. I'm happy to take your post-takeoff drink order now and if at any time during the flight you'd like a refill or something from the snack basket just ring your FA call button and I'll be happy to get it for you.

I've had FAs on foreign carriers on red-eye flights do #3 above. I have also had great DL FAs on red-eye flights who, after the initial service, frequently walked the cabin, placing water bottles next to those sleeping and tending to any needs those with open eyes have.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by apodo77

Most people sleep on red eyes and aren't concerned with a banana or chocolate covered goop. Ever think that the FAs didn't want to disturb those attempting to catch shut eye? If you were dying for a snack, speak up.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by knit-in
The OP is talking about flying First Class. Would you argue that there is no reason to complain if s/he did actually ring the call button and got the bare minimum service one expects of any class of air travel, let alone First?
NO, of course not, but ringing call button would probably have resulted in a drink, which OP seems to consider to be better than no drink.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Dang it DL. Get your lazy flight attendants to do what they're supposed to do. There seems to be no valid reason that service wasn't offered for the OP. Psgrs shouldn't have to ask for service by ringing that stupid call button. It should be offered proactively by the ones getting paid to do it.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
There seems to be no valid reason that service wasn't offered for the OP.
Really? Remind me, what do most passengers typically do on red eyes? On the flip side, passengers pay to sit in first class for a QUIET cabin, particularly to sleep on red eyes. I'm sure complaints would be launched as well if they were woken up due to FAs bringing around snack baskets. Damned if you do, damned if you don't with this crowd.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
I for one would much prefer a few
sotto voce "may I get you a drink" throughout the cabin to a multitude of call button "dings" on red eyes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.