Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

frustrated seat change issue - plz help me understand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

so I'm a bit embarrassed that this frustrated me so much b/c it's TRULY a "first world problem" but alas, it did frustrate me and I'd love some input please. I'll try to be as objective as possible in laying out the facts:
  • This past April I purchased a J class ticket for r/t DCA-ATL-JNB for travel next April. Needless to say, seats were wide open a year in advance and I chose 7A and 7D for the long hauls
  • I just looked today and my return in 7D was mysteriously changed to 6D
  • I called DL and fully expected them to say that it was for "operational needs" - we all know what that means
  • and I should add, too, that both 7A and 7D were now taken on the return. so I called DL and.....
I got a snarky supervisor who told me it was for a schedule change. My argument was that I wasn't sure that was true b/c a schedule change - in this case at least - does not mean an equipment change so why was my seat changed? The supervisor stuck to his "there's nothing we can do." I will then say, NO EXAGGERATION in that I was frustrated but NEVER EVER yelled or cursed, but the supervisor hung up on me. By then I'm blowing steam out of my ear. So I then HUCA and got another supervisor who explained it really was due to a schedule change. OK, I didn't quite understand why "the computer" just didn't keep me in my same seat but the supervisor didn't know either. He DID state that the computer randomly put people in seats and the person who got 7D was "a general member w/ no status who looks like was randomly assigned the seat so I have no trouble giving (me) my original 7D back."
My whole premise was that if the equipment doesn't change then why does the computer randomly re-assign seats..... Particularly when the cabin is still pretty wide open now 6 months in advance?
And why wouldn't my "claim" to 7D be honored first since I made it a year in advance?
and yes, I "get" that seats are not guaranteed, a seat selection is only a seat request, really, but still, I'd love some insight. In the end it all worked out and I was moved back to 7D. Thanks for reading and safe travels.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I'd recommend calling back and talking to a different agent. I typically find that within 3 calls you can get someone who is friendly and helpful.

In that vein, I had a similar experience when I'd used an upgrade certificate to F on a SEA-ATL flight, then they had an equipment change and I was still in F. But the morning of the flight, they changed equipment back to the original (larger F section, I may add), and I got bumped to Main Cabin (not even C+). Makes no sense why I would lost the F seat after an equipment change to a larger cabin. Like you I got an unhelpful agent who sent me a $50 gift card (nevermind I ended up having to buy food on the plane since I'd skipped breakfast thinking I got a meal, and didn't get free movies at that point in Main Cabin). First world problems, but it happens.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by dmarge18
I'd recommend calling back and talking to a different agent. I typically find that within 3 calls you can get someone who is friendly and helpful.

In that vein, I had a similar experience when I'd used an upgrade certificate to F on a SEA-ATL flight, then they had an equipment change and I was still in F. But the morning of the flight, they changed equipment back to the original (larger F section, I may add), and I got bumped to Main Cabin (not even C+). Makes no sense why I would lost the F seat after an equipment change to a larger cabin. Like you I got an unhelpful agent who sent me a $50 gift card (nevermind I ended up having to buy food on the plane since I'd skipped breakfast thinking I got a meal, and didn't get free movies at that point in Main Cabin). First world problems, but it happens.
Hope you got your certificate back.

David
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Hope you got your certificate back.

David
Unfortunately, did not, since it was near the end of it's shelf life anyway.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Unfortunately, did not, since it was near the end of it's shelf life anyway.
I'd be absolutely livid. They owe you your cert back at the very least (with a new expiration date). They also owe you at least $200 USD for the invol downgrade. By using the cert, you paid for a seat in F. They accepted your payment, and then did not deliver the goods you paid for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.