Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more red-eyes ex-PDX?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
You may not be aware of what I believe is long standing FT rule, or at least a tradition. Specifically, we do not criticize a fellow member's grammar, use of punctuation or spelling.

Correct, we do not criticize a fellow member's grammar; we educate them so they do not make the same mistake in the future. Its not just PDX, but a lot of cities on the West Coast that used to run daily redeyes, no longer do so. SAN is one of those. During non-peak seasons, I think those flights are a bit difficult to fill without significant price cuts so they are trying to funnel people to LAX and SEA.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
I have done several red eyes out of both PDX and SEA. What about going from PDX to LAX or SFO then to NYC?

I am doing Red SFO-MSP Friday and done several LAX-MSP.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Interesting idea--they don't come up as possible itineraries, but it's also the case the itineraries through LAX often do come up on other searches for other times (so it's an allowable route). I haven't called DL yet to get rescheduled; I'll ask about this.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No DL PDX-SFO flights and DL doesn't seem to codeshare on the AS flights. The last PDX-LAX departs at 7:48PM and arrives at 10:05PM. However, it does not operate on November 5, 7, and 8. Nov. 7 just happens to be somewhat of a schedule blackhole for PDX. Any other Monday in November presents numerous options. I wouldn't read too much into a single travel date.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 21, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks, LBJ. I did a fair amount of searching and have come to the conclusion you already knew: Nov 7 just seems to be an unusually crappy day to fly PDX-NYC on DL. I just submitted my absentee ballot request given the difficulty I'm going to have getting back to vote!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Untrue, dad. The plural of datum is data. The plural of fish is fish. The plural of tomato is tomatoes. You're welcome.
Actually, fish can be pluralized as fish or fishes; both are correct. 😝

I don't have anything productive to add to the discussion beyond that.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
No DL PDX-SFO flights and DL doesn't seem to codeshare on the AS flights. The last PDX-LAX departs at 7:48PM and arrives at 10:05PM. However, it does not operate on November 5, 7, and 8. Nov. 7 just happens to be somewhat of a schedule blackhole for PDX. Any other Monday in November presents numerous options. I wouldn't read too much into a single travel date.
DL doesn't have to codeshare the flight for you to get DL to book you on an AS flight. AS flight numbers work with numerous DL fares. As pointed out in another thread, my last SAT-SIN trip had an AS marketed flight SAT-SEA for the first segment. It was still none-the-less a DL fare.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
A couple years ago I had booked a redeye for Christmas Eve for SEA-DTW and then in October, I got a schedule change notification that the SEA-DTW redeye was dropped from the schedule, and I was moved to an earlier flight. I called and was rebooked SEA-PDX-DTW with the PDX-DTW leg being a redeye on Christmas Eve. It struck me as really odd that DL had a redeye on PDX-DTW but not on SEA-DTW (Side note: I ended up SDCing to a daytime flight anyway when I found out I was able to get away and get the full day for Christmas Eve off and routed SEA-JFK-DTW, getting a 757 with the old BE recliner seats that were in use right before DL converted those over to the lie-flats - they even gave us the Business Elite pillows and duvets on the flight that day )
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
yeah, the good ol' days on the 75Es ... of course they were also the days when the SDC window opened at t-3 hr

Dec 2012 I did a 25-hr MR to keep my PM status: DCA-SEA-PDX-OAK (AS, lv 8am ar ~345pm), followed by OAK-LAX-DTW-DCA in A, departing 630pm and arriving ~9am

while taxiing in at OAK I called to switch to the 625pm (OAK-SLC-JFK-DCA, with a 75E on the long leg) ... then immediately SDCd that back to the 630 departure and the LAX-JFK 75E

ok, back on topic -- I've also noticed PDX redeye flights are really subject to seasonal highs and lows (e.g., there's a PDX-JFK trip most of the summer, but at times it drops from daily to 4x/wk) ... curiously, the SEA-MSP redeye tends to disappear on Sat nights (well, 0045 Sun mornings) during parts of the summer but its PDX counterpart doesn't

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 22, 2016 at 12:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.