Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why can't DL tell me what my int'l ticket is worth?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks

I have an international MR/flight booked for over Thanksgiving. Multiple large schedule changes on their end and on my end have made me question going on this trip and maybe booking something to an alternate destination. I booked these tickets in February (so...a while ago).

One important thing to note here that I discovered this week:
*These were cheap economy tickets upgraded with GUC's. Originally in RP/OP. Now my receipt for the return portion is showing G/Z and ticket charges of over 10 times what I actually paid. (I do NOT want these higher MQD's as it messes with my rollover game)

So naturally I call DL up and ask what I will receive if I refund the tickets. They DO NOT KNOW. I have HUCA'ed 5 times, my record is noted about these calls, I have talked for up-to two hours with very friendly agents and their supervisors and they all incest that they cannot tell me what my ticket is worth.

The only option is to cancel my ticket, send a form to some international ticket refund clearing house, and see my money of unknown value in 7-10 days.

How is it possible that they do not know the value of my ticket?? I do not want to cancel until I know how much I will get back.

I guarantee you that if I owed DL money...they could immediately figure out how much I owed them.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can cancel without penalty before departure of the first segment, why would the value of the ticket be different from the amount you paid for it?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you can cancel without penalty before departure of the first segment, why would the value of the ticket be different from the amount you paid for it?
From Above:

*These were cheap economy tickets upgraded with GUC's. Originally in RP/OP. Now my receipt for the return portion is showing G/Z and ticket charges of over 10 times what I actually paid. (I do NOT want these higher MQD's as it messes with my rollover game)
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pgh234
From Above:

It's still just worth what you paid plus the GUCs to be returned or transferred to a different trip. You don't get more money back based on the cost of a FC or business class fare rather than the coach fare you paid.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:47 pm

they all incest that they cannot tell me what my ticket is worth.

I certainly hope not!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Layell
I certainly hope not!

paging davetravels... davetravels to the white courtesy phone please.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, DL MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's still just worth what you paid plus the GUCs to be returned or transferred to a different trip. You don't get more money back based on the cost of a FC or business class fare rather than the coach fare you paid.
Will Delta return your GUCs if you cancel or change your flight? I wanted to change dates for the return on one of my flights so that I could do a mileage run and purchase the ticket originating in SIN where it is cheaper, but was told that if I changed the ticket, I would forfeit my GUC. So, I ended up purchasing a MR ticket between my outbound and return sectors of that ticket. (I was told that if I had used miles to upgrade, I would get the miles redeposited to my account, but that if I used a GUC, you simply forfeit it.)
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Every rep that I talked to did insist that I would get my GUCs back.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
they all incest
Which certainly explains why they don't have the time to check how much of a refund you would get.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
From Above:

I don't quite understand either of your concerns. Best case, they refund you the price on the ticket now (higher than you paid; this is highly unlikely). Worst case, you get back what you paid for the economy fare plus your GUCs. It doesn't seem like you have anything to lose.

And if you have GUCs, you should be a DM so I don't understand how extra MQDs affects your rollover game. If you already have high spend, adding to it may help get you a 360 invite.

Originally Posted by PeggyJM
Will Delta return your GUCs if you cancel or change your flight? I wanted to change dates for the return on one of my flights so that I could do a mileage run and purchase the ticket originating in SIN where it is cheaper, but was told that if I changed the ticket, I would forfeit my GUC. So, I ended up purchasing a MR ticket between my outbound and return sectors of that ticket. (I was told that if I had used miles to upgrade, I would get the miles redeposited to my account, but that if I used a GUC, you simply forfeit it.)
Yes - if DL caused the error. They technically are void upon use but they will make exceptions for DL scheduled changes, IRROPs, etc.

If you want to voluntary change it yourself, then no, the original T&Cs of the GUCs hold, that they are useless once redeemed (even if not flown) [paraphrasing].

Yes - because DL/partners made schedule changes that allow you to cancel. If you wanted to simply call and cancel/change on your own, without the schedule changes, your GUCs wouldn't be returned (sometimes, if you make the change on the same call and there is OP space available for immediate confirmation, they may allow you to transfer it that way on a voluntary change).
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
From Above:

How does this mess with your "rollover game"?

If you fly 150,000 BUS miles, but only spend enough MQDs for platinum status you won't rollover the 75,000 miles, you would only roll over 49,999 (had a co-worker that was Diamond rolled over 88,xxx miles, the following year he had a medical issue, flew roughly 80,000 miles and missed the MQD by roughly $3,000, and so he dropped to Platinum and they only rolled over the difference below Diamond. So he had roughly 35,000 MQMs that he lost out on rollover to the next year.

So is your game to downgrade to Platinum? You obviously are Diamond now if you got GUC.

Seems like a strange game to me if it is.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:28 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak

paging davetravels... davetravels to the white courtesy phone please.
Huh?!?

I could only find the red phone and the blue phone.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:08 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by davetravels
Huh?!?

I could only find the red phone and the blue phone.
I figured a HTB! was called for
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:29 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
I figured a HTB! was called for
Got'cha! I thought you were implying I knew something about incest.

That said, I use my HTB's sparingly, and wisely.

Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:42 am

Good luck with that. They'll probably give you miles as compensation but not your actual GUCs back. The T&C on the GUCs is that you can't get them back so if this goes through and they give you miles or something you'll be SOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.