Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tipping Flight Attendants On Board?!? Did I Miss Something All These Years?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:54 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

Just flew PIT/MSP, and as the F FA was tidying up for landing. (I was in 1C on an A319) I glanced over to 1A, and the FA picked up his plastic cup, which I believe, had a soda can sitting inside of it, and I saw that he had wedged a $1 bill sticking up between the can, and the cup.

The FA accepted it graciously, said thank you, took it and walked away! For some reason, I thought he would NOT accept it, but, he did.

Anyone thoughts?

I've never seen this before, except when I flew Frontier recently, and bought a coffee for $1.99, and the FA's tablet asked me if I wanted to leave a tip after I swiped my credit card, AND, it even guides you with percentages, IIRC!

Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:01 pm

Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Since DL only gives me two JWDs, I keep a few gift cards to give out in their place. I don't give them out very often, but if a FA (or any Delta employee really) goes above and beyond, they get one.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
OMG, this just reminded me of a segment vans (the shoe company) did on flying. LOL (Warning: It's satire so it has some explicit language in it; just putting it out there, but it's hilarious.)
("Tip Four: Always tip your stewardess's, it somehow works better with male stewardess's; but when you give them $10, you get way more back in booze and free movies")

Anyhow, I don't think there's actually much on the subject of tipping. FAs I can say don't make a very high wage, nor do they have a union. So, I'm sure they appreciate them. However, I'd say it just varies upon the FA. [Obviously] some will accept them, some wont. Just depends on the person.

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; Aug 5, 2016 at 10:35 pm Reason: clarity.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:05 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I'm pretty sure they are not supposed to accept tips. I once heard though that if you offer it more than twice some/most/all airlines tell the FA's to go ahead and take it on the premise that at that point it would be bad customer service to continue to refuse it.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
The FA accepted it graciously, said thank you, took it and walked away! For some reason, I thought he would NOT accept it, but, he did.
I might also assume that it might be offensive to the person tipping to reject.
I mean $1 ????, c'mon you are in F you are in 1A. For all the booze and lousy snack basket , just $1????
See how Mr. 1A might think of reason to not take it.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Actually I agree that if it's just $1.00 it's tacky--don't tip at all.

In an environment where tipping is not standard, I could imagine giving an occasional tip if I felt someone really went out of their way or was exceptionally great at their job. But if I did, it would have to be at least $10 or probably $20.00. I would be embarrassed to give less than that because I know it is probably the only tip they are getting. $1.00 does not really mean much if it's all you get, but if one customer who you really went above and beyond for gave you $20, that's nice and you can get yourself a little treat with that.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: DL PM
Tipping in first class on Amtrak (north east Acela anyways) is standard; I always try and give at least $5.

Never really thought about tipping an FA, but I really don't see why it would be innapproprate for good service.

And I agree, $1 is pretty tacky. $5 minimum I'd say. But hey, who knows.. If it weren't for mr $1 tipper, we'd have never even thought about it. I everyone in F started tipping, even just $1, then long term the FAs get even more tips (and they'd be fighting over serving F even more than some do already )
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
When in the US, I buy $10 Starbucks cards and I've given them to our FA for when I felt the service was exceptional.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:55 am

Humm, I am pretty sure that my gratuity is already included in my airfare.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:04 am

On my trips back to the US from China, I usually give a large box of local cookies to the cabin crew. It usually goes over well. In fact one of the Chinese FAs remembered them from her childhood and was quite thankful to have them.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Oh my gosh! I've been flying since I was a small child and I don't remember my parents ever tipping cabin staff. I've certainly never tipped cabin staff! What's next in American tipping culture - slipping the flight crew. $10? How about the baggage handlers? Shouldn't we be tipping them too? Oh, and what about the rampers? They have a pretty miserable job at fairly low wages. And how about the gate agents? Let's not forget the nice lady at the entry to the TSA pre-check line who makes sure only people with pre-check get in. Speaking of TSA, why arent we tipping the TSA agents who are doing a thankless job to process us quickly and efficiently and keep America safe again?!

When will the stupid tipping madness end?!?!
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards A+, Delta Diamond Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Skyclub Executive
I've tried to tip on several occasions while flying on southwest. The FA's would not accept.

Southwest now has "kicking tail" cards for A listers to hand out for jobs well done. The FA's love them, and can win cash and cars....

Typically, I had my FA one at the beginning of a long flight. Free drinks for the entire leg.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
I haven't done it recently, but in the years when I was doing SFO-ORD and SFO-DEN on UA multiple times a week I had several FAs who were "regulars" on those flights. I frequently brought a box of Joseph Smith Truffles and gave it to them to share with their colleagues.

It always was appreciated, and even though I always got decent service (a long time ago on UA) I am fairly sure they were a little bit nicer to me than others.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
It really bothers me that DL only gives PMs two JWDs. Meanwhile, AA hands them out like candy.

Does DL expect me to encounter only two amazing employees in a year? I gave one to a captain, and the other to a phone agent for waiving a change fee.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Aug 6, 2016 at 7:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.