Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Customs from Toronto to DTW, JFK, or ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Looking at flights from Toronto, Ontario (possibly London Ontario) to Europe connecting through either DTW, JFK, or ATL.

Do you clear customer in Canada and arrive as a domestic flight? My past experiences in ATL and JFK have been less than stellar as far as clearing customers and the scheduled layover is fairly short.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YYZ (Toronto) is a pre-clearance airport, so you will clear US customs and immigration there and arrive as a domestic flight.

London airport does not have US pre-clearance, so that will be treated as an international flight and you will have to go through US immigration in the US.

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Yes, you generally clear US Customs in Canada before your flight so it can land as a domestic flight. I don't know about London, Ont though.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Only flights to the US from London is United to ORD. No pre-clearance. Lots of options through Toronto. You could consider a bus shuttle from London to DTW.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Just did this to take advantage of a KL/AF fare to Japan.
Used SM for a cheap rt DCA-YYZ to position then got a good fare -- YYZ-AMS-KIX/HND-CDG-AMS-YYZ.
Outbound cleared US immigration at YYZ and landed at T4-domestic at JFK. An hour in the SC and then took the KL 744 to AMS. YYZ does have GE if you have it.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As a matter of general information, here is the CBP website link to the Preclearance information page, showing all preclearance stations in Canada (and elsewhere).

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.