Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: using FaceTime over WIFI caused issue with crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: using FaceTime over WIFI caused issue with crew

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport. Whats a good Star Alliance option in Asia?
Originally Posted by npapadon
only vo-ip was prohibited in the contractual terms and conditions. Not video.
Don't know you, but I normally talk during a video call.
So it's VoIP, just, not *only* VoIP.

Of course you may be allowed if you and the other side mute their mics.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Originally Posted by BThumme
I will never understand why some people get so upset over a passenger talking to his phone/computer. How is it any different then any other passenger talking? Sure, if they are getting heated on the phone I can understand that, but I don't get what passengers are looking for.
The main issue is: It usually isn't the same as talking to another passenger. People on the bus/plane/train/whatever on phones 99% of the time talk to the air in front of them, usually louder than necessary because of all the background noise combined with the quality of cell phone calls. So not only are they talking louder than they would if they were just talking to the person 12 inches away, they're angling their voice in a way that sends it into the 'room' around them.

Sure, not everyone does this, but if you take public transportation you must know how crazy loud people get.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I also want to mention the terms and conditions linked earlier in this thread only mention that "voice service is not permitted". I see no mention of video service behind prohibited.
You did not really say that, did you?

What part of the passenger and person on the other end that were "talking" does not qualify as voice service.

Posts like this are scary.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: DL DM
Isn't it clear that OP simply wants to argue about semantics? We get a similar post on here about once every 6 months or so.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
It seems the pushback on Vo-ip / FaceTime is either bandwidth or concerns about other passengers becoming irritated listening to conversations.
Duh, really?

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Almost universally, in my experience, people speak much louder when using a phone vs. speaking to the person seated next to them. Personally I can't stand being next to someone on the phone.
This.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Perhaps he/she thought that by saying "it's against the law" would be easier for you to understand than saying something like "turn your phone off you dick half the plane can hear you". Just a thought.
LOL. Exactly. Kudos to the FA for shutting down OP.

Passengers yapping on the phone is one of my pet peeves. I love the Larry David clip.
This loudmouth was gesticulating so much I thought he was going to break his seat.

If OP wants to FaceTime, then Emirates is your airline. They permit and encourage inflight cell phone use. Ugh.
This jerk actually woke me up, yapping for the better part of an hour including walking around the cabin.

Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Isn't it clear that OP simply wants to argue about semantics? We get a similar post on here about once every 6 months or so.
Yep. Two points to add to what has already been said:

1. It's not whether someone is on the phone or talking to their seatmate, it's the volume and whether they're conscious of their environment. YMMV I guess, but IME people on the phone seem more oblivious to their surroundings since they aren't interacting with said surroundings, and thus have a higher tendency to be loud and annoying.

2. OP seems very interested in drilling down into the letter of the law/policy, just to spite the spirit of those same laws/policies (set aside the fact that if we really want to get into semantics most of these are airline or FAA policies, not laws). If that's the road OP wants to head down, he/she should consider that right or wrong, they were going down a path of challenging crew instructions during a flight, and it seems to me that the policies related to that are very clear.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by BThumme
If you don't want to hear people, get a private plane chartered, or since that's out of budget for 99.9% of us, buy a nice pair of noise canceling headphones and you won't have to worry about hearing others.
This is a two-way street. If you want to talk on the phone, then charter a private plane.

The airlines apparently feel very confident that there are more people who don't want intrusion of other people's phone calls than those who want to allow them.

Also, noise canceling headphones don't work on things like conversations. Maybe one day someone will invent a conversation-muffling scarf and that will solve the problem.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
All I know is, that if the guy next to me in the club yesterday making a business phone call was strapped next to me at 35,000 feet, I might be tempted to step outside. Middle of the club (JFK of course), threatening to "slice that *&@%* in pieces" "F this, F that." I suspect that the same person, despite the clear lack of class, would speak less obnoxiously to a seatmate than he was doing to his employees.

Not a fan of phones in the cabin...
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
      Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:09 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
      Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
        I use Skype to text with my coworkers while in flight all the time. Works fine as a substitute to calls (actually better for some conversations) and helps me stay in touch when, for example, flying west to east during the work day.
        Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:22 pm
        In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
        Switch to T-Mobile and get UNLIMITED inflight texting on DL flights domestic AND it'll!!!
        Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
        Done it multiple times

I have FT-ed multiple times using gogo service before with my wife and baby at home. Wife knows I am on a plane and we barely speak anything. It's mostly to make funny faces at the baby. Flight attendants have seen me use it and one flight attendant even said 'cute baby' to me once. Haven't been told not to use it yet.
        Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: delta dm
        Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
            I use viber all the time when on gogo to text.
            Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:06 pm
            FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
            Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
            Voice calls (or voice on video calls) have been beat to freakin death on this board and every other flyertalk board.

Though some people are okay with it, the vast majority have been very clear. NO VOICE CALLS on the plane.!!!

Why do people keep hashing it over and over like it is a new conversation?

Geez.
            Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:40 pm

Arrow

Some passengers are totally oblivious to their surroundings.

Example DTW-NRT yesterday. While at the gate with people still boarding, I could clearly hear a woman who was at least 15 rows behind me loudly talking to a family member for over 20 minutes. She was completely oblivious to the racket she was making!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.