Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Upgrade Priority Email today from Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Upgrade Priority Email today from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:32 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by WWads
I would argue that I am much more valuable to DL than your wife is, just as you are more valuable than I am.
Maybe, but it doesn't really matter, since the upgrade isn't really being given to his wife. She can't book her own ticket and get that upgrade. And Delta doesn't care who the Medallion's companion is. It's not like the benefit is available if it's his wife but not available if it's his brother. So the whole discussion of whether delta "likes" the companion more than someone else is completely irrelevant.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Exploerer
What is clear to me is your obvious bias against my posts.
It looks as if you have only commented on my posts on this thread.
Bias? Not at all. Many people come to FT with a question or opinion. Often, that question is answered or opinion shown to be erroneous by members here who have a great deal of knowledge and/or experience in the subject matter.

Most will accept the new information and move on with their lives. A small percentage seem to be willfully ignorant, and will continue to argue, well past the point where the discussion has become ridiculous. Often, this will be presented in the form of repeating the same point, using the same words, over and over (and over).
Is it your goal to try to intimidate me from posting because we have a difference of opinion?
Intimidate? No. Educate? Yes.

I genuinely don't understand what you are attempting to accomplish at this point. You think the sky is falling. Some agree with you. Others do not. Is your goal to filibuster until your opponents concede? Not likely to happen. Is your goal to change Delta's behavior? Laudable - but it ain't going to happen here. Is your goal to vent on the Internet about something that annoys you? Fine - but at least be honest about it.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pvn
Maybe, but it doesn't really matter, since the upgrade isn't really being given to his wife. She can't book her own ticket and get that upgrade. And Delta doesn't care who the Medallion's companion is. It's not like the benefit is available if it's his wife but not available if it's his brother. So the whole discussion of whether delta "likes" the companion more than someone else is completely irrelevant.
This is actually a really good point. The companion isn't receiving an upgrade as a benefit for anything they have done. Rather, the medallion is being given a companion upgrade as a benefit for flying however many miles/segments/dollars with DL. DL cares far more about the effect the companion UG has on the medallion's behavior vs their companion's behavior.

That's actually a key distinction, I think.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by gooselee
This is actually a really good point. The companion isn't receiving an upgrade as a benefit for anything they have done. Rather, the medallion is being given a companion upgrade as a benefit for flying however many miles/segments/dollars with DL. DL cares far more about the effect the companion UG has on the medallion's behavior vs their companion's behavior.

That's actually a key distinction, I think.
But in my opinion the DM companion shouldnt get the upgrade over another DM. Thats where I differ with deltas decision. Minimally all other DMs should clear before the DM companion.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:22 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Yes, we know, you've made your opinion abundantly clear.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by pvn
Yes, we know, you've made your opinion abundantly clear.
I do for the record see how Delta thought giving a DM a companion benefit would be a good thing for loyalty. I just think their are some situations where it could have the opposite effect of what was intended. Of course I have to live with it either way. I do understand the other side of the argument even if I disagree with it.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm shocked this thread hasn't been locked pages ago. The 'discussion' long lost any sort of usefulness.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:23 am

Red face

Originally Posted by rylan
I'm shocked this thread hasn't been locked pages ago. The 'discussion' long lost any sort of usefulness.
It does makes an interesting read. When C+ was first changed to an upgrade and no companions at booking, there was similar heated discussion although it was mainly all against. This upgrade priority change in F cabin seems more split in support from the posts hete.

I personally like it although I only flown once with my wife / companion and all my other flights were solo. Nowadays I am generally PM and seldom see UG and may see even lesser but I think it is smart of Delta.

Remember one of the primary argument in the C+ / WU debate, when travelling for work domestically, not a lot of folks have real choice. But in that debate, folks says that if travelling on leisure, and if no companion WU, they will boycott.

Same logic here... When the DM are with companion (likely leisure), they have a choice and if Delta is willing to UG their companion at their level based on fare class, DM on leisure trips will consider Delta. If it displaces DM on business trips who have no real control, Delta knows they win.

The other thing that keeps being mentioned was "who spent more" should gets the UG. On the surface it seems an easy decision but Delta operates a huge network with many variables. We all know that flying out of ATL is ex because Delta reigns there and regardless the price, there are always takers so a 30K customer may not mean as much in the bigger sense to Delta as there are lots of 30K, 40K, 50K customers there. However, a 30K customer at SEA might be more "special". This is also why top tier 360 has no fixed qualification and varies according to where one is based.

In the end, Delta makes decisions based on the data they have and we should just work around it or find another option.

To date, I still feel that the revenue based reward miles was the biggest negative change but all those who fly expensive fares disagrees with me and that is fine.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:09 pm

I do agree with you payitforward , I also miss the double miles benefit.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by PayItForward
In the end, Delta makes decisions based on the data they have and we should just work around it or find another option.
That's pretty much my approach. They make the rules. All we can do is tell them our opinion if they ask us, and otherwise decide from the different sets of rules offered by each airline which set(s) we want to play under, and how to obtain the most we can.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I wasn't given a chance to convince DL or offer my opinion because I did not know about the policy changes until after I received the email from DL announcing the new policy changes!
You're offering your opinion right here and if your argument were convincing, people at Delta who read this would be convinced and the policy would be changed.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Bias? Not at all. Many people come to FT with a question or opinion. Often, that question is answered or opinion shown to be erroneous by members here who have a great deal of knowledge and/or experience in the subject matter.

Most will accept the new information and move on with their lives. A small percentage seem to be willfully ignorant, and will continue to argue, well past the point where the discussion has become ridiculous. Often, this will be presented in the form of repeating the same point, using the same words, over and over (and over).

Intimidate? No. Educate? Yes.

I genuinely don't understand what you are attempting to accomplish at this point. You think the sky is falling. Some agree with you. Others do not. Is your goal to filibuster until your opponents concede? Not likely to happen. Is your goal to change Delta's behavior? Laudable - but it ain't going to happen here. Is your goal to vent on the Internet about something that annoys you? Fine - but at least be honest about it.
I am really sorry that I offended you, the majority of my comments were in response to SethB's comments , I had no idea that my comments were upsetting you. I guess I forgot that others read comments posted here.

Even though SethB & I adisagree with each other I was under the impression that we were debating fairly without ridiculing each other.

Yes, I was venting, I guess flyer forum is not the proper place to vent.
As far as educating me, I still don't understand what snapp is , the search engine did not produce viable results for me.
For whatever it is worth I do not believe the sky is falling. Yes, I will contact Delta about the changes, thx .
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by WWads
Ok, so I guess that her 100% is technically more loyal than my 94%. But her 100% was not enough to qualify for even FO, while my 94% qualified me for PM. The guy who flies once a year and happens to pick DL for that one flight is technically also more loyal than me under your standard. Do you now see how absurd your standard of loyalty is?

These days, DL measures loyalty by how valuable a customer is to the company. I would argue that I am much more valuable to DL than your wife is, just as you are more valuable than I am.
Not quite "how valuable" because that's a calculation that would at best be extremely proprietary. (Someone buying a medium-priced seat that would otherwise go empty is providing more marginal profit than someone buying an expensive seat that would sell anyway, leaving another purchaser to buy a low-priced seat. Delta wouldn't want to reveal just how much profit is in each ticket.)
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:24 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Yes, I was venting, I guess flyer forum is not the proper place to vent.
As far as educating me, I still don't understand what snapp is , the search engine did not produce viable results for me.
For whatever it is worth I do not believe the sky is falling. Yes, I will contact Delta about the changes, thx .
I don't think anyone's saying "don't vent," just that, having vented, posting the same vent repeatedly probably doesn't help. People are also pretty stuck to their opinions as you've seen so after a while it seems we're all just arguing past each other.

Here's a recent thread on SNAPP:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-sheriff.html

FT search can be pretty disappointing sometimes. If it's not something simple like a title search, I'll usually do a Google search instead that includes "site:flyertalk.com" -- in this case I knew there was a past thread but couldn't remember the exact title, but "site:flyertalk.com delta snapp" in Google search found the thread even though it was spelled SNAP with only one "p"
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
I don't think anyone's saying "don't vent," just that, having vented, posting the same vent repeatedly probably doesn't help. People are also pretty stuck to their opinions as you've seen so after a while it seems we're all just arguing past each other.

Here's a recent thread on SNAPP:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-sheriff.html

FT search can be pretty disappointing sometimes. If it's not something simple like a title search, I'll usually do a Google search instead that includes "site:flyertalk.com" -- in this case I knew there was a past thread but couldn't remember the exact title, but "site:flyertalk.com delta snapp" in Google search found the thread even though it was spelled SNAP with only one "p"
Thank you Zorak for posting the link about SNAPP, it was very helpful.
Sorry, I was repeating myself when I was going back & forth debating with SethB.

I was shocked when I received the e-mail from DL because I was happy with DL, now I am not sure if I am going to stay with them. What is most important to me is a comfortable seat.
Even though I enjoy getting F UGs , I honestly don't care if I am flying coach as long as the seat is comfortable. Yes, I understand if I bought coach I should just expect coach, however we became spoiled with the UGs and to me it is our most valuable benefit.
Other airlines have offered to match my status ,I actually like Virgin but they do not fly everywhere I fly to. I am debating if I should continue with DL, get DM for 2017 & if my UG % declines & I keep on getting stuck in uncomfortable seats leave DL or just leave now.
I am not sure what the right move is now or what is best for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.