Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Chris Elliott double smackdown on DL today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chris Elliott double smackdown on DL today

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Their best hope is a cancellation or major flight change so they can request a refund.
That's sneaky: very good.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:41 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
When I first signed up for elliott.org, the Gmail internal filter sent it to the spam folder, without any action on my part. Smart, that filter
Why do you people who despise CE go to his site, sign up for his emails, etc. then disparage him? You are supporting his business, like it or not. More clicks, more views, higher ad rates.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by fti
Why do you people who despise CE go to his site, sign up for his emails, etc. then disparage him? You are supporting his business, like it or not. More clicks, more views, higher ad rates.
This is 2016. Look at all of the things we (as a society) hate watch/view. Kardashians, Real Housewives of wherever, Perez Hilton, Gawker, and The Cleveland Browns (sorry couldn't resist) etc.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by fti
I don't sign up for his e-mails, but I do learn stuff on occasion.

I don't despise him as sometimes he does help folks who deserve it. He just overdoes it with his blind bias that the customer is never wrong, and the big corporation should always pay up to make the little guy whole.

In the case of the customer who apparently bought an E fare, Chris thinks it's terribly unfair. I think it's tough you-know-what. I will never buy one personally, and if my corporation tries to make me buy one I will decline to travel.

David
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DiverDave
He just overdoes it with his blind bias that the customer is never wrong, and the big corporation should always pay up to make the little guy whole.

In the case of the customer who apparently bought an E fare, Chris thinks it's terribly unfair. I think it's tough you-know-what.
^ +1
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by gooselee
But for everyday consumers, such as the folks who write in to Elliott, they're buying run of the mill tickets directly from the airline. The rules there are clear and pretty consistent across all the major players - nonrefundable tickets cannot be refunded, only changed, and usually with a fee and of course the fare difference.

[...]

AFAIK this is not unique to Delta.
While it's not unique to DL, and I agree when you purchase the ticket you should know the rules, there's a reasonable argument that the policy of the majors is an unfair one, and credits should be allowed to go back to the original purchaser.

Indeed, B6 does exactly that. A non-refundable credit can be issued to the travel bank of the purchaser instead of the traveler.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bennos
While it's not unique to DL, and I agree when you purchase the ticket you should know the rules, there's a reasonable argument that the policy of the majors is an unfair one, and credits should be allowed to go back to the original purchaser.

Indeed, B6 does exactly that. A non-refundable credit can be issued to the travel bank of the purchaser instead of the traveler.
On B6, what/who determines whether the traveler or the payer gets the credit?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
If the whining customer bought the E fare from someone other than Delta then all bets are off as to whether he was informed of the limitations at time of purchase.

That said, Elliott should have down his homework and reported the story with real facts rather than ......... In the past year or so the utility of his blog has dropped dramatically. I follow on facebook and occasionally comment; I did comment this time on the E fare whiner article.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On B6, what/who determines whether the traveler or the payer gets the credit?
In my case, I as the purchaser called in to cancel and they asked me where I wanted the credit applied.

B6 operates differently than DL under the hood. On DL, when you cancel a non-refundable itinerary, the ticket itself remains valid for its original duration (1 year from purchase), and you are effectively making a change to it when you use the remaining funds. On B6, the funds are transferred to a "travel bank" (sort of like a gift card account), and you have 1 year from cancellation (another improvement over DL) to use the funds.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bennos
In my case, I as the purchaser called in to cancel and they asked me where I wanted the credit applied.

B6 operates differently than DL under the hood. On DL, when you cancel a non-refundable itinerary, the ticket itself remains valid for its original duration (1 year from purchase), and you are effectively making a change to it when you use the remaining funds. On B6, the funds are transferred to a "travel bank" (sort of like a gift card account), and you have 1 year from cancellation (another improvement over DL) to use the funds.
This actually sounds like a good system...except that B6 doesn't service my home airport.

Seriously, though, it makes a lot of sense. I assume they have some way to verify that the person calling in to cancel is also either the passenger or purchaser, especially if the request is to credit the travel bank of the purchaser, whose name/information might not be tied to the ticket?

While very rare, I could see a situation where a similarly named relative (assuming B6 checks against the name on the purchasing CC) with a grudge calls in to cancel a ticket and convinces the agent to place the credit in their account, then spends the credit before the original pax realizes their ticket has been cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.