Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else have this problem....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Question Anyone else have this problem....

Searched for business class ticket for 1 pax, price okay; so I searched for 2 pax for online purchase, then price jumps $20 each--same flights (multi-city ticket.) Go back to one pax, and price drops down. Doesn't make any sense to me which price jumps up for 2 pax.....anyone else have this problem, or am I really just that special! :roll eyes:

Are they any "better" days to make your on-line reservation with Delta???

Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The cheaper bucket has only one ticket available. When you try to buy two, you get two higher priced seats from the next bucket.

You can purchase separately to save the money.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Look at the little letter associated with your ticket when you try to buy. Something like A (A fare) when you buy one (only one is available) becomes maybe P when you try to buy more than one.
Only 1 cheap ticket is available in bus and when you try to buy 2, you go directly in the more expensive fare.
You can buy them separately and will grab the last cheap ticket on your first buy and only the second ticket will be more expensive.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by vgb2001
Look at the little letter associated with your ticket when you try to buy. Something like A (A fare) when you buy one (only one is available) becomes maybe P when you try to buy more than one.
Only 1 cheap ticket is available in bus and when you try to buy 2, you go directly in the more expensive fare.
You can buy them separately and will grab the last cheap ticket on your first buy and only the second ticket will be more expensive.
To mention the obvious, you'll get a ticket at the cheaper price and the second at the higher one over two PNRs. I don't believe there is a way to get the price benefit while keeping it to a single PNR.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cre95
To mention the obvious, you'll get a ticket at the cheaper price and the second at the higher one over two PNRs. I don't believe there is a way to get the price benefit while keeping it to a single PNR.
Correct, but after purchase you can link the PNRs, meaning call to ask an agent to add notes cross referencing them. It doesn't do much, but it gives you an argument to be kept together in IROPs.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:09 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I purchased two single tickets cheaper than one reservation for 2. I thought the second ticket would be more but it was the same as the first. Difference was about $50 on an $800 ticket (multi-city FC LAS-LAX-DSM-LAS)
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by puddinhead
I purchased two single tickets cheaper than one reservation for 2. I thought the second ticket would be more but it was the same as the first. Difference was about $50 on an $800 ticket (multi-city FC LAS-LAX-DSM-LAS)
Assuming you paid $800 for each ticket, are you saying that you priced two tickets at more than $800 each and then went back to purchase each of the tickets in succession and you ended up paying $800 for each?

That would be interesting since it would seem to say Delta IT was saying only one ticket was available at the lower fare bucket but then actually allowed you to purchase two at that rate.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Not all that surprising or unusual. The system only had one ticket sale in the bucket at the start. After you bought that one, rather than going to zero, it put another seat into the bucket. I've seen this happen on award tickets as well. Just don't ask me to tell why.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:18 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cre95
Assuming you paid $800 for each ticket, are you saying that you priced two tickets at more than $800 each and then went back to purchase each of the tickets in succession and you ended up paying $800 for each?

That would be interesting since it would seem to say Delta IT was saying only one ticket was available at the lower fare bucket but then actually allowed you to purchase two at that rate.
Correct - 2 @ $1,700 or 1 @ $800, purchased twice for a total of $1,600.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Correct - 2 @ $1,700 or 1 @ $800, purchased twice for a total of $1,600.
what are the fare codes associated with each ticket?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The cheaper bucket has only one ticket available. When you try to buy two, you get two higher priced seats from the next bucket.

You can purchase separately to save the money.

Yep.

This is common in many systems. It can not sell one ticket at one price, and the other ticket at a different price.

When we both are flying, I always search for 1 seat, paid or award. Then I go for two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.