Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Interesting way to fly free as a part time employee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting way to fly free as a part time employee

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Widgets
I think the minimum is something like 150, maybe 300 at most. Lots of airports hire seasonal agents. Basically any airport staffed with mainline employees that has a busier summer schedule. Some seasonals are only at work to do the Early Valet program and nothing else. Seasonal employees generally are never trained to do more than be a lobby host/greeter and bag drop. No special services, baggage service, or gates. I believe most ramp seasonals just load bags in the bin (considered undesirable by many).
The minimum is 150 for seasonals. As far as where they work though, it really depends on the station and how desperate they are for help. Some stations only use seasonals for lobby and bag drop. Some use them for everything - gates, rebooking, special services, etc.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Value to any employee depends on flexibility. Not just where and when, but what you get on-board. Look back on all the threads:

• Complaining about being upgraded into a middle Comfort+ seat
  • Complaining about not being able to select a seat in advance
  • Complaining that a special meal wasn't loaded
  • Complaining about not getting one's first choice of meal
  • Seeking an op-up (op-up!) for two

Then recognize that non-rev travel has not just limited availability, but rules:
  1. Don't complain about seat assignments
  2. You'll get a meal if it's available
  3. Don't argue with or question GAs or FAs if there's a problem
  4. Observe the dress guidelines

http://travelinfo.delta.com/dlnonrev/TravelGuide.htm

No small number of FlyerTalkers in this forum show they couldn't handle it.
That's an understatement.

Mentioned upthread - DGS is S3C

Retirement travel eligibility isn't just 10 years. I think that DGS is different than DL employees.

OP, You might want to post your questions .here where you can get answers from active and retired NRSA's.

NRSA travel to and from DTW can be tough because there are many higher priority NRSA's and lots of NRSP as well as commuting crew members. We will use DTW-AMS if we're connecting from MSY but will use JFK with more numerous options if we're up north.

If our kids (employees) come to visit, we pay for their employee discounted tickets so that they're not spending their time continually checking loads for their return trip.

We rarely non-rev domestically since it's only for personal travel and can be a real pain with full flights and lots of folks having higher priorities. That's why I'm a DM and my wife is a PM.

It's often a lot easier to get somewhere then to get back and you MUST have alternate ways of doing so. We've had to get last minute award tix, which aren't cheap (but better than using cash).
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Of course this is not anything new. Back in the 1970s, before baseball salaries escalated with free agency, several major league players worked these jobs in the off-season, for the flight priveleges.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
So if you have to work at the job for 10 years in order to qualify for lifetime privileges, what's to prevent Delta from enhancing the job benefits and doing away with lifetime benefits?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
At my rate of pay that would be a total loss proposition. 600 hours multiplied by billable hour value for "maybe" tickets? Insanity. I can see a college kid that had no value to their time, but not a successful adult. Time is the ultimate commodity.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bubbashow
At my rate of pay that would be a total loss proposition. 600 hours multiplied by billable hour value for "maybe" tickets? Insanity. I can see a college kid that had no value to their time, but not a successful adult. Time is the ultimate commodity.
Sure, if you're just looking at the numbers.

I have buddies who stayed in hospitality and are now location managers, and I might occasionally pick up hotel door and valet jobs during peak seasons when they need an extra hand. Keeps a few perks at those properties alive, but really it's a low-stress outdoor job, a few extra bucks to pick up some random gadget, and a little fun, too. I've gotten more frustrated playing a round of golf, and I'm losing money when I do that...
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
That's an understatement.

Mentioned upthread - DGS is S3C

Retirement travel eligibility isn't just 10 years. I think that DGS is different than DL employees.

OP, You might want to post your questions .here where you can get answers from active and retired NRSA's.

NRSA travel to and from DTW can be tough because there are many higher priority NRSA's and lots of NRSP as well as commuting crew members. We will use DTW-AMS if we're connecting from MSY but will use JFK with more numerous options if we're up north.

If our kids (employees) come to visit, we pay for their employee discounted tickets so that they're not spending their time continually checking loads for their return trip.

We rarely non-rev domestically since it's only for personal travel and can be a real pain with full flights and lots of folks having higher priorities. That's why I'm a DM and my wife is a PM.

It's often a lot easier to get somewhere then to get back and you MUST have alternate ways of doing so. We've had to get last minute award tix, which aren't cheap (but better than using cash).
The most recent program was seniority + age had to be 55 with a minimum seniority of 10 years. I don't know what DGS's policies are.

I don't think Delta will ever end retiree nonrev privileges... maybe require yield fares.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:27 pm

I was a Ready Reserve baggage handler for Delta back in 2008/2009, while I was in college, and worked terminal E mostly. I loved the job. If I remember correctly, at that time, you couldn't work for than 240 hours for the entire year. I'm sure it has probably changed since then, but it wasn't completely easy to get on flights. Example: the wife and I spent over one hundred hours, in airports, waiting to get to/from Hawaii. I know it's a highly sought after place, but I bet it is harder to even get a flight to say SEA, SFO, or MIA now with higher passenger loads unless you're extremely flexible.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list
My boyfriend has been wanting to get this part time baggage handler position for a long time and keeps filling out the applications and not getting called in. What is he doing wrong? He's 55--is that too old for them to consider him? He's a top ranked athlete in his sport and a lifeguard and is in amazing shape. We live in New York so he could work at either LGA or JFK pretty easily. Any advice on actually getting these positions would be great!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: DL, UA
... I can see a college kid that had no value to their time, but not a successful adult. Time is the ultimate commodity.
It can actually be a great position for many different successful adults in different career paths. Think about teachers for example. They don't work during the summer (mostly - unless they teach summer school or something which is not a mandatory part of their jobs) and so it's a great way for them to earn some extra money during the summer and the flight benefits are an added bonus.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
The biggest problem I see with taking as 2nd job for the sole purpose of non-rev benefits, is, that the flights are soooooo full, stand-by seats are not guaranteed, and very hard to come-by, particularly on popular routes, and empty seats are allocated by seniority.
That's a tad of an exaggeration. I mean sure, if you're trying to take the noon ATL-LAX with 2015 seniority and a buddy it'll be an issue but fairly empty domestic flights are not abnormal in the least. Like someone up-thread mentioned, you just have to play the game correctly, TPA-RDU-DTW, ATL-BWI-DTW, stuff like that. As a standby you shouldn't be looking to fly "the popular routes" you're just asking for trouble. Of the last 10 years I've been flying standby I've only gotten stuck twice; one being due to an earlier cancellation and the other due to payload.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
It can actually be a great position for many different successful adults in different career paths. Think about teachers for example. They don't work during the summer (mostly - unless they teach summer school or something which is not a mandatory part of their jobs) and so it's a great way for them to earn some extra money during the summer and the flight benefits are an added bonus.
You make great points, and perhaps a great part time job for somebody who is retired from their original career who wants to travel and whose schedule is quite flexible.

But definitely not for the resident Donald Trump types on this forum.

David
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
At my rate of pay that would be a total loss proposition... I can see a college kid that had no value to their time, but not a successful adult. Time is the ultimate commodity.
To each their own, but because I also used my flying benefits to the max while working at DL for 2 years between undergraduate and graduate schools, I interpret this attitude as ignorant and shortsighted.

Not even considering the different priorities and experiences of other people, for me, the ability to spend weekends in Europe, the excitement of flying many different world airlines (not sure what ID policies are today, but my nonrev experiences included VS, SR--rest in peace, RG--rest in peace, AN--rest in peace, QF, OS, LH, AF, BA, SQ, the Concorde, NH, SA ...), and just meeting different people in different places, are things that enriched me in ways that no "pay rate" can match.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Jun 17, 2016 at 9:10 am Reason: recollected 2 addl airlines from memory
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Ran into a Delta employee about a week ago in the employee parking lot favored by many DTW employees, which is Qwikpark. They pay $4 a day, btw.

This guy has a good full time job in a different industry. He works part time as a baggage handler for Delta. If you work 600 hours in a year, you get employee flight privileges for you and your spouse. If you do that 10 years in a row, you get flight privileges for life for you and a spouse.

I thought working the 600 minimum could be worth it, especially if you are young and would get many years of free flights.

This guy travels 3 to 4 times a year.

You know that the baggage handling job is bad for most, because he has been there between 4 and 6 years, and is already in the top 50 for seniority, out of over 500 current baggage handlers. Translation is the turnover is huge and you will have high seniority shortly and better jobs. SO, most never get to 10 years to lock in their benefits.

They top out at $14 an hour.

With this high seniority, he doesn't need to work weekends and cherry picks the best jobs.
Turn-over can be high. There was a HUGE purge summer 2014. Most of the "part-timers" are classified as ready reserves. They're scheduled 4-5 days a week, for about 25 hours. They must work 600-1400 hours. They're mostly younger with some older folks who haven't had the best of luck in the job market. Travel perks are solid. Only reason I work there.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by flyingmontana
My boyfriend has been wanting to get this part time baggage handler position for a long time and keeps filling out the applications and not getting called in. What is he doing wrong? He's 55--is that too old for them to consider him? He's a top ranked athlete in his sport and a lifeguard and is in amazing shape. We live in New York so he could work at either LGA or JFK pretty easily. Any advice on actually getting these positions would be great!
It's nothing personal. They get hundreds, maybe thousands of applications per 1 position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.