Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation for 2+ hr delay due to crew rest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA

I'm booked on an 8:00 ABQ to ATL, and didn't see the delay email until I got up 4:30. Apparently due to weather in ATL last night, the inbound was late, and this morning's departure has been delayed 2 hrs and 10 min. so far because of crew rest regulations. Normally, It wouldn't be a problem, but now I'll miss the shuttle from the airport. Is this a situation where commpensation is due?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: DL DM
Weather happens and it causes problems. They may throw a few miles your way. But really?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It is, at root, a weather delay.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Weather happens and it causes problems. They may throw a few miles your way. But really?
+1 - Compensation is rarely given for weather-related delays. You could ask, but suggest you save complaints for issues the airline can control.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
even if it were not a weather delay, I would feel petty going to them for miles on a 2 hour delay....things happen, flights get delayed. Delta delays so few flights that I cannot stress over it
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:02 am

I had the same situation last night. If I am going to submit a complaint and look for Delta to throw a few miles my way, I have certain criteria I look at. Was the root cause Delta's fault, did Delta handle the situation poorly, and was it a meaningful amount of time you lost? Unless the answer is yes to all three, no complaint is warranted. The answer is no to the first two and marginal on the last one. In fact, I thought Delta did an outstanding job of handling IRROPs yesterday.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
I never got a delayed notice on my MSP-BZN last night until 920. We had a 10PM departure. I happened to look just prior to leaving after my wife asked if I was getting an Upgrade. Flight was delayed 2HRS 50 Min. Left MSP at 1250 and arrived at BZN at 156AM. Since it was weather it's unavoidable
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:20 pm

Compensation just for a delay isn't considered until 3 hours late. As always, I recommend asking for compensation after you get to your final destination because you will have more info that will encourage you or discourage you from asking for compensation. Maybe you're delayed 5 hours in the end, or maybe you get to your destination early. Also, airport agents can't issue as much compensation as customer care. Anything under 3 hours is futile.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by BigDawg23
I never got a delayed notice on my MSP-BZN last night until 920. We had a 10PM departure. I happened to look just prior to leaving after my wife asked if I was getting an Upgrade. Flight was delayed 2HRS 50 Min. Left MSP at 1250 and arrived at BZN at 156AM. Since it was weather it's unavoidable
Was it weather in MSP or BZN? Or both?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
If you were referring to the MSP WX yesterday only float planes that could
water taxi up the Minnesota River to the SD border and take a quick hop
over to the Missouri River to complete the journey would be eligible for any
compensation. So how bad was the weather ? Well usually you have something
like a small bucket of water splashed on you well there were places where
the water was coming down in 55 gallon barrels - something on the order
of a dam busting not quite like Texas floods but substantial.

But be that as it may - WX related compensation is rarely granted.
Now if your checked baggage arrived by canoe in the claim area after 20
minutes good golly go for the miles why of course ! It is election season
"Tippy Canoe and Tyler too" !

Some humor to tame the quest for Skymiles compensation !
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
I hate that late MSP-BZN flight it always seems to be delayed. Has been delayed every time I've been on it, and no I wasn't on it on 6/14.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by 3furballs
I hate that late MSP-BZN flight it always seems to be delayed. Has been delayed every time I've been on it, and no I wasn't on it on 6/14.
Looking at the stats, MSPBZN very rarely arrives more than an hour late. It looks like it's more on-time than the system average.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Widgets
Looking at the stats, MSPBZN very rarely arrives more than an hour late. It looks like it's more on-time than the system average.
Come on, Widgets!

Don't let easily-verifiable facts get in the way of anecdotal observations on FT. lol
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Come on, Widgets!

Don't let easily-verifiable facts get in the way of anecdotal observations on FT. lol
I did say it seems to be delayed and it's been delayed each time I take it. I haven't actually investigated if it's delayed a lot just that every time I take it there's a delay, and coming from east coast time to mountain time even a short delay makes for an arrival that feels REALLY LATE!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Compensation for a 2 hour delay????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.