Wiki Posts
Search

MCT at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by davetravels
I don't know the timetable, but, if you misconnect on LAX/SYD, will they rebook you on Virgin?
IIRC the VA flights tend to leave slightly later from LAX
Currently, DL 6798 (the VA-operated flight) leaves at 22:35 and DL 41 leaves at 22:45. However, DL 6794 (the VA-operated LAX-BNE flight) leaves at 23:50, so that's a backup for a misconnect. They certainly will rebook you on VA if there's a seat available.

but given the need to go landside and change terminals, it would generally be tough to be rebooked onto VA for the same day.
No need to go landside to get to TBIT anymore. (Note that VA's check-in desks are landside at TBIT, but the flights leave from TBIT.)

Also IIRC there were reports earlier of people being booked on the direct flight ATL-LAX-SYD and missing the second portion of it. So I'm not convinced that DL necessarily holds the LAX-SYD flight.
Of course DL doesn't always hold the LAX-SYD flight. It's just that my experience (and apparently that of at least one other poster) is that they hold that more flight more often and for longer than most other flights. Not something to count on, but a reason that the probability of making the connection is somewhat higher than a 35 minute connection would otherwise indicate. (I should clarify that my experience is a couple years out of date; I stopped flying regularly between LAX and SYD in 2014. But the fundamentals haven't changed since then.)

This is a moot point for the OP, though; DL almost certainly won't rebook the OP for a flight on Saturday due simply to nervousness about the 35 minute (legal) connection. It is, of course, a valid reason not to book the 35 minute connection in the first place.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:23 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not convinced that DL necessarily holds the LAX-SYD flight.
If it's posted on FlyerTalk, it MUST be true!

Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by davetravels
If it's posted on FlyerTalk, it MUST be true!

Considering the SYD curfew it gets held frequently even if everyone is on board. The cost is significant to get in early and winds/loads frequently cause it to be pushed back.

Of course it also depends on the lateness of the inbound. A little late is ok, however get stuck in ATL Wx and it maybe way too late. I don't like the direct anyway since the flight to LAX from ATL is usually a domestic 767 or a 737900.

SYD is strict, unless your willing to pay (EK pays a couple thousand just to land a bit before curfew) don't leave too early.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

All, you have made me a little more comfortable with the connect time. DL did offer to change my flight at no cost, but I can't make the option they gave as it's too early for me to get to EWR (EWR>ATL>SYD).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.