Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA to ??? How would you fly?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
Shanghai is a fascinating place and late October/November is a good time temperature wise.

Google flights searches today find RT non-stop flights for just under $600 for that time period.

https://www.google.com/flights/

Whereas Delta flights e.g. for London, Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona are upwards of $1200 or more

I agree with wlau that Taipei is a great alternative. And I find it cleaner air and better food than Shanghai. I also find it easier to navigate the subway, trains, etc there.

Google flights shows $600 plus for RT to Taipei.

Cheers for a great experience wherever you go!
Thanks! That's incredibly affordable. I might have to go to china!
I forgot to mention I have 50k BA points, but I can't seem to figure out how to use them right. meh.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I just looked at SEA-AMS, which is usually the least expensive, for 14 day RT in November. There are 60K coach awards available almost every day (SEA-SLC-AMS). $ are over $1100.

There's a 50K miles offer available from AMEX for a DL Gold with a $2K spend to get them.

If you can get the card and charge $2000 quickly, those 50 K miles will put you at 112K+. You can then buy 8K miles for just under $300 and get 2 award tix.

So, $300 and spending on a CC gets you Europe.

Added: No visa costs and you can get lots of places via European LCC's or trains.
Thanks a ton for the post! I like. Sorry, I'm kind of new, what's DL Gold?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Gold Delta AMEX card. As opposed to Platinum.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:16 pm

# of miles required varies greatly by destination and time of year, even day of the week. When do you want to go? You can start checking Delta.com now to see how many miles are required for various destinations on various dates. If you're students, presumably there are only certain times when you could travel and they may be at peak times. Are you hoping to use SkyMiles for both tickets? That could be tough for any interntional destination. Consider the ideas on getting new cards, though, of course, there are costs involved. If you're able to pay for one ticket, great.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnnybebrave
Thanks a lot! I've been kind of going that route, checking googleflights, will continue to do that. I would love to accumulate those points, but it's hard to find em! Especially on a college student budget. Thanks, I would love to fly 1st class, never done that before.
Can you explain the "Don't use Pay with Miles" bit? I'm not sure how else to redeem...
Thanks!
"Pay with miles" means using your miles like cash - buying a ticket and reducing the cash price with a "pay with miles" feature that's shows up somewhere during the booking process. You get a value of 1 cent per mile. Generally, this doesn't get you the best value. Generally, the preferred way to approach it is to look at the price in miles - this gives a miles price of such-and-such number of miles per ticket. Also select flexible dates - this gives a date range with miles amounts for the different dates and there can be huge differences.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Generally, this doesn't get you the best value. .
Although as mileage tickets get more expensive there is often less of a difference.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Although as mileage tickets get more expensive there is often less of a difference.
Most people do pwm for the mqms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.