Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

IAH KLM lounge... hardly worth the detour

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH KLM lounge... hardly worth the detour

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Dia, Marriott Plat
Thumbs down Denied entry

I really wish Delta and KLM would document the lounge entry guidelines. Per Delta, as a Skyclub member I am entitled to entry while traveling on any airline. I have often used this lounge when flying United... until today when I was denied by a young woman stating that it's been this way for at least 6 months.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:15 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
When I go to Delta.com's lounge finder page, and use the criteria of "SkyClub Member" for access - and - enter IAH as the airport, the KLM club DOES INDEED come up!

I know they're sometimes slow at updating information on that page - - back during the CDG AF "Long Haul Arrivals Lounge" debacle for STE+ pax flying in Y.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:17 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, the SkyClub should work at both AF and KLM lounges
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Yeah, the SkyClub should work at both AF and KLM lounges
I've used both the AF and KL lounges at IAH. The AF lounge is smaller and dumpier and dingier in my opinion and not worth the visit. Food and liquor options were pretty much identical (I'm guessing they are catered from the same kitchen). The AF lounge had a couple different liquor options -- Ricard and Campari from what I remember.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
Just went to both last week. Soup was really bad. Yes, they have sandwiches and a little better booze and beer. Both are small with uncomfortable chairs. I'm going to pass next time.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CajunFF
I really wish Delta and KLM would document the lounge entry guidelines. Per Delta, as a Skyclub member I am entitled to entry while traveling on any airline. I have often used this lounge when flying United... until today when I was denied by a young woman stating that it's been this way for at least 6 months.
I was there yesterday while flying Qatar.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CajunFF
Actually, as a partner lounge, they are entitled to have their own additional rules for entrance with a Sky Club membership. The "flying any carrier" rule only applies to actual DL Sky Club's. In KL's case, they require that you have a same day flight on a Skyteam carrier when entering with a Sky Club membership. This ability of partner lounges to apply additional terms and conditions is mentioned in the house rules --

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...use-rules.html

"Access to partner lounges is subject to additional terms and conditions, including but not limited to the house rules of the partner lounge."

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 25, 2017 at 4:26 am
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:14 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Here's some reviews:
http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/...priority-pass/

http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/...s-travel-blog/

The AF lounge doesn't open until noon. The KLM is open at 6 am I believe.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
Actually, as a partner lounge, they are entitled to have their own additional rules for entrance with a Sky Club membership. The "flying any carrier" rule only applies to actual DL Sky Club's. In KL's case, they require that you have a same day flight on a Skyteam carrier when entering with a Sky Club membership. This ability of partner lounges to apply additional terms and conditions is mentioned in the house rules --

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...use-rules.html

"Access to partner lounges is subject to additional terms and conditions, including but not limited to the house rules of the partner lounge."
KLM doesn't require you fly on Skyteam when using SC membership. They do require you are flying though, can't just use it as an arrivals lounge.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For DL flights from IAH, does it make sense instead to use the AmEx Centurion lounge? What are the relative distances from the DL gates? I assume that all lounges are airside and don't require reclearing TSA security.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
KLM doesn't require you fly on Skyteam when using SC membership. They do require you are flying though, can't just use it as an arrivals lounge.
Post above, and similar reports from AMS lounges, suggest otherwise. Again, the DL Sky Club house rules pretty clearly state that, as a partner lounge, they may impose additional constraints for entry that are not imposed at actual DL Sky Clubs when entering using an SC membership. They may be inconsistent about imposing it, but that doesn't mean it's not an actual KL rule for entrance with a SC membership.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:41 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For DL flights from IAH, does it make sense instead to use the AmEx Centurion lounge? What are the relative distances from the DL gates? I assume that all lounges are airside and don't require reclearing TSA security.
Relative distances are going to be the same. The Centurion lounge is essentially across the hall from the KLM lounge, in terminal D.

All terminals at IAH are accessible via the airside SKYWAY automated people mover. There is no way to walk between terminals airside.

When I was departing IAH frequently, I would usually clear TSA Pre in Terminal C then walk to the lounge in D. About 15 minutes before boarding I would make my way to the SKYWAY and onto terminal A (for Delta departures). If checking a bag it become much less convenient to use the lounges as that requires either a walk/train pre-security or using the SKYWAY train to go to and from D before your flight.=.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Interesting. I was about to ask why AF/KLM haven't combined their lounges or alternatively why IAH doesn't just have a combined SkyTeam lounge, although I'm not sure whether other partners such as KE and the Chinese carriers serve IAH.
KE also has service.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond
When I was in the KLM lounge in IAH for a long layover, there were KE passengers and Aeromexico passengers using the lounge during the day. I thought the lounge was good. Power outlets at the seats. Smallish. No view. Wifi worked well. Nice nibbling options and drinks. I headed into the D terminal for a stroll and lunch though.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LBJ
Post above, and similar reports from AMS lounges, suggest otherwise. Again, the DL Sky Club house rules pretty clearly state that, as a partner lounge, they may impose additional constraints for entry that are not imposed at actual DL Sky Clubs when entering using an SC membership. They may be inconsistent about imposing it, but that doesn't mean it's not an actual KL rule for entrance with a SC membership.
I've used the lounges in AMS and elsewhere. As long as you're using SC membership you don't need to be flying Skyteam. It would make no sense, since KLM accepts PriorityPass. You just need to be flying on any airline when using a SC membership. Most times when I hear of people being refused, a lot say they realized they tried to access using their elite card instead of SC card. Will there be confusion at times by agents? Of course. However a SC membership gets you and if executive 2 others in regardless of airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.