Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dimensions for overhead on CRJ700?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Dimensions for overhead on CRJ700?

Can anyone tell me how big (small) the overhead bins on CRJ700s are? I know they are smaller but not sure how small.

An upcoming flight of mine had it's 55min connection changed to a 30min connection. Delta can't change the flight because I used a companion certificate. Trying to avoid pink tagging anything on the CRJ so we can hopefully get to our connection while there is still overhead bin space. Have some delicate and not easily replaceable items that I'd rather not entrust to baggage handlers.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
They are about the same size as on a CRJ-900; should accomodate a 20" rollaboard or a backpack. In F class, there is a small cupboard like container on the left hand side, with horizontally sliding doors (a purse or camera will fit).
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
A thick (fully packed) standard rollaboard is tough to squeeze in, the bins are not tall. When lightly packed, my Costco piece fits perfectly.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure on exact size, but they are small. If you have a 'standard' size roller then it is unlikely to fit. A smaller bag or backpack should fit.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Not sure on exact size, but they are small. If you have a 'standard' size roller then it is unlikely to fit. A smaller bag or backpack should fit.
I have the same experience. It's why I prefer the Embraers. They generally have enough space to accommodate a normal size (22 inch?) roller.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by ND76
They are about the same size as on a CRJ-900; should accomodate a 20" rollaboard or a backpack. In F class, there is a small cupboard like container on the left hand side, with horizontally sliding doors (a purse or camera will fit).
They are smaller than a CRJ900 and have a "lip" in the back that the 900 does not have.

My Hartmann 19" fits if I don't overstuff it, but my wife has a slightly larger carryon that fits on the 900 but not the 700.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:10 pm

As said above they are slightly smaller than the 900 given the way the bin is laid out. I have a Tumi Vapor that will fit. It has left some scratches on the case but I can live with that. It has saved me a lot of time waiting for the pink tags to come out as I can grab and run to the connection. If I overpack the bag so the extra inch that the zipper expands makes it a very very tight fit but a normal pack is good to go.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
And I have to tell the very aggressive pink taggers that patrol gates C12/13 at LGA every week at least 3 times that it fits.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ND76
They are about the same size as on a CRJ-900; should accomodate a 20" rollaboard or a backpack.
My bag easily fits on a CR9 but doesn't fit on a CR7.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
True 20" rollaboards will fit (such as the TravelPro 20" Crew series) provided they are not over-stuffed. They will fit side-on in the bins and I have taken mine aboard many times on the CR7 (and even CRJ-100's and Q400's).

In essence, if your rollaboard comfortably fits the DL sizing device, it WILL fit on a CR7 bin (albeit side-on). If it doesn't fit the sizing device, it won't.

Most "carry-on approved" bags don't actually fit completely into the sizer as the handles/wheels take the case over the total dimensions, or it's over-stuffed etc.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by SamuelS
True 20" rollaboards will fit (such as the TravelPro 20" Crew series) provided they are not over-stuffed. They will fit side-on in the bins and I have taken mine aboard many times on the CR7 (and even CRJ-100's and Q400's).

In essence, if your rollaboard comfortably fits the DL sizing device, it WILL fit on a CR7 bin (albeit side-on). If it doesn't fit the sizing device, it won't.

Most "carry-on approved" bags don't actually fit completely into the sizer as the handles/wheels take the case over the total dimensions, or it's over-stuffed etc.
This has been my experience with a 21×14×9 non-rolling bag in a CR7, too. Maybe because it has no wheels, no GA has ever questioned it.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:02 pm

My standard Travelpro fits very snugly. It also fits equally snugly in carry-on size checks that do not have the entire boxed frame. It fits even more loosely in the full-frame ones. Any overpacking at all would be too much.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
And I have to tell the very aggressive pink taggers that patrol gates C12/13 at LGA every week at least 3 times that it fits.
The aggressive pink taggers aren't unique to LGA--- like others, I have standard Travelpro which fits fine in both the CR7 and CR9, and get flak from GA's almost every single time at ATL when flying a CR7 or CR9 with the Travelpro.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by Max M
The aggressive pink taggers aren't unique to LGA--- like others, I have standard Travelpro which fits fine in both the CR7 and CR9, and get flak from GA's almost every single time at ATL when flying a CR7 or CR9 with the Travelpro.
I've long ago learned to grab the pink tag from the GA and stick it in my pocket as I embark and stow my bag above 2C. Even if they put it on the bag, who cares? Never seen a pink tag policeman at the plane door. Maybe one out of 20 FAs mention something but are easily convinced as they watch me stow it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.