Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Companion Tix and Paid Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
Amex Companion Tix and Paid Upgrades

A couple of days ago, I was fortunate to use my Amex companion cert last minute JFK-LAX-OAK-LAX-JFK for the NBA Finals this weekend. Nothing was available for the direct JFK-SFO flights.

Anyways, during check in I noticed something that I have never seen before. I had the option to pay for upgrades for me and my companion. Right now we are both sitting in C- as (I think) these certs no longer allow us to sit in C+, even as elites. Either way, there were two options: One that offered $129 each to upgrade to first and one that offered $19 each to upgrade to C+. I clicked on both options and of course only the LAX-OAK flights were available for upgrades. With such a short flight, I passed.

I know complimentary upgrades aren't possible with these certs, but I didn't know that paid upgrades were possible.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this new?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: DL-FO, amex platinum, ducks unlimited, pheasants forever
I'm travelling on Monday with my DW, and are using my DL Amex Platinum cards companion certificate. We are stuck in C- as well. Currently its showing quite a few C+ seats open. Was hoping to ask gate agent for C+ at gate playing dumb about the new policy. However if the offer comes our way at check in, I'm not sure even $19 is worth it as we have exit row 27 with an open middle seat on a 75 and a mitt full of HOOU coupons from the Skybonus program.
I'll report back if I do or do not get a similar offer at check in.
On another note,
We just cancelled my wives Platinum account as the companion coupon seems harder and harder to book and with no more chance of C+ it's not the value it had been.

This whole C+ separate fare class is a bit of a joke. Hopefully DL will figure out that its not a premium experience unless they make it one.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

As a follow up to my original post, the offer to upgrade to first on LAX-OAK decreased to $89.00. I passed again as it was only a 1 hour flight.

The crazy thing is that I fully expected to be in C- the entire trip, although thankfully we were seated in exit rows. When boarding Sky on LAX-OAK, the beep sounded and new seating assignments spit out of the machine. We got upgraded to first!!! It wasn't a full flight and first went out with empty seats. I guess it is possible to get upgraded to first on Amex companion certs. Not sure how it happened though. Outside of checking the box when I bought the tix, I didn't ask any agents for an upgrade.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by NYCflip
As a follow up to my original post, the offer to upgrade to first on LAX-OAK decreased to $89.00. I passed again as it was only a 1 hour flight.

The crazy thing is that I fully expected to be in C- the entire trip, although thankfully we were seated in exit rows. When boarding Sky on LAX-OAK, the beep sounded and new seating assignments spit out of the machine. We got upgraded to first!!! It wasn't a full flight and first went out with empty seats. I guess it is possible to get upgraded to first on Amex companion certs. Not sure how it happened though. Outside of checking the box when I bought the tix, I didn't ask any agents for an upgrade.
Last time I used a cert for a Y companion ticket last year... I couldn't check the box (always gave an error). Maybe these C+ changes have resulted in an IT error in our favor for once?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by appleguru
Last time I used a cert for a Y companion ticket last year... I couldn't check the box (always gave an error). Maybe these C+ changes have resulted in an IT error in our favor for once?
I also get the error when trying to check the UG box. Will be interesting to see how this plays out as I have 2 trips on companion certs coming up soon.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I just booked tickets using an Amex companion certificate (the "regular" Delta SM Amex, so, coach seats only, domestic etc) I was given the option to check upgrade requested when I bought tickets - for me only, not my companion. I did, so we'll see what happens. Just a 2hr flight to BOS, I'm not worried about sitting in Coach. Which reminds me I should probably remove the C+ upgrade, shouldn't I?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'm PM and will be booking in the next couple weeks for a Sep trip, so also curious to see how this shakes out ... however, knowing that C+ (aka "W") isn't on the list of eligible inventory classes for the AmEx companion cert, it's probably moot ... also not a long trip (SEA<-->SNA, and no middle seats on an E75 anyway)
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I just booked tickets using an Amex companion certificate (the "regular" Delta SM Amex, so, coach seats only, domestic etc) I was given the option to check upgrade requested when I bought tickets - for me only, not my companion. I did, so we'll see what happens. Just a 2hr flight to BOS, I'm not worried about sitting in Coach. Which reminds me I should probably remove the C+ upgrade, shouldn't I?
You can check it, but it won't stick. If you go back in you'll see that nothing is selected and it won't let you.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by rylan
You can check it, but it won't stick. If you go back in you'll see that nothing is selected and it won't let you.
Actually, I don't see the box to check or options at all when I go back in. Guess I'll use my drink coupons on this flight^
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by NYCflip

Wow, I thought the companion certs (regular, not reserve) were ineligible for upgrades, paid or otherwise? Or maybe they upgraded you with your DM status or something?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Nope, not a DM. Even if I were, my understanding is that the companion certs with the DL Platinum Amex are not upgradeable. I think the complimentary upgrade may have been a one-off and I fully don't expect it to happen again.

There wasn't an offer for a paid upgrade to first on the return flight, but there was an offer for a paid upgrade to C+. So IMO they may offer paid upgrades with Amex companion certs if the upgrade fare bucket is available. I did not get upgraded to C+ on the return flight though so maybe there was enough people with status and/or others bought up C+ (I don't know if it flew out full as I didn't really care to pay attention)...or of course the system worked the way it was supposed to

Last edited by NYCflip; Jun 8, 2016 at 3:58 pm
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by hurnik
Wow, I thought the companion certs (regular, not reserve) were ineligible for upgrades, paid or otherwise? Or maybe they upgraded you with your DM status or something?
The reserve certificates are also ineligible for upgrades. Even when I used it for FC they warn that I cannot be upgraded. The non upgrade would apply if you used the reserve certificate for main cabin.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM
My wife and I had a nice thing happen with our certificate for later this month that might prove helpful for others. We bought a round trip from SJU to SEA using a Reserve certificate for FC a few weeks ago. However, the last leg back to SJU from JFK was in the main cabin while the other legs were all FC. I've been watching the certificate tickets on sale since then, and this morning that route was FC all the way including the leg from JFK to SJU. So I called and asked if they would move us to FC for that last leg since we had technically bought a FC ticket in the beginning. She said sure and moved us both to FC. So at least there appears to be one way to get moved up on certificates. And they did this with no additional cost even though this same RT ticket now costs $1750 compared to the $1270 we paid a few weeks ago.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Lrtalk
My wife and I had a nice thing happen with our certificate for later this month that might prove helpful for others. We bought a round trip from SJU to SEA using a Reserve certificate for FC a few weeks ago. However, the last leg back to SJU from JFK was in the main cabin while the other legs were all FC. I've been watching the certificate tickets on sale since then, and this morning that route was FC all the way including the leg from JFK to SJU. So I called and asked if they would move us to FC for that last leg since we had technically bought a FC ticket in the beginning. She said sure and moved us both to FC. So at least there appears to be one way to get moved up on certificates. And they did this with no additional cost even though this same RT ticket now costs $1750 compared to the $1270 we paid a few weeks ago.
Was this a multiple cabin ticket which "shows" as a FC ticket (compared to coach)? The reserve FC companion ticket that I'm currently trying to buy shows multiple cabin for most of the choices (FC is available, but you get coach).
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Was this a multiple cabin ticket which "shows" as a FC ticket (compared to coach)? The reserve FC companion ticket that I'm currently trying to buy shows multiple cabin for most of the choices (FC is available, but you get coach).
It defaults to a search for FC. The hits will show either First or Multiple Cabins. Our choices were only MC on all of the hits, so we bought the one with three of four legs in FC. Apparently they considered the tickets to be FC, so when inventory opened on the last leg, it meant we were entitled to be moved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.