Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta considering bid for Avianca

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Delta considering bid for Avianca

According to the WSJ (click via google to avoid paywall):https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...fe=off&tbm=nws

This would be a master move by DL to ensure competitiveness in all of Latin America's most important markets. Along with their stake and proposed JV in Aeromexico, as well as Gol stake and partnership, this would be the missing link to ensure strength in Colombia, Peru, Central America, etc. Hope this actually materializes...
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I don't think its happening anytime soon. Last time they left from Delta over years ago. They went to United. We don't want to see Avanica to coming back at Delta. It won't happen in a distant future.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
A little bit different set of circumstances here; once upon a time, Delta had a code-share, marketing and frequent flyer program tie-in with Avianca that went south. Here, Delta would be acquiring an entire airline organization. Also, Avianca is much larger than it once was, because it acquired TACA, the Central American airline with hubs at SJO and SAL. Avianca also has subsidiaries or affiliates in Guatemala, Honduras, Brazil, Ecuador and Peru.

I think United/Continental still has an ownership stake in Copa, the Panamanian flag carrier. Copa flies routes up and down South America as well as throughout Central America from its PTY hub.

Of course, the new LATAM, which appears to operate both domestic and international routes in almost every country in South America, is a key player in One World.

Therefore, Delta controlling Avianca (to the extent it can under Colombian law) makes a lot of sense, particularly in light of their proposed acquisition of a total of 49% of the stock of Aeromexico.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Headline I saw today on NY Mag's blog...

"United, Delta Conspire to Steal Columbia's Leg Room"
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ND76
A little bit different set of circumstances here; once upon a time, Delta had a code-share, marketing and frequent flyer program tie-in with Avianca that went south. Here, Delta would be acquiring an entire airline organization. Also, Avianca is much larger than it once was, because it acquired TACA, the Central American airline with hubs at SJO and SAL. Avianca also has subsidiaries or affiliates in Guatemala, Honduras, Brazil, Ecuador and Peru.

I think United/Continental still has an ownership stake in Copa, the Panamanian flag carrier. Copa flies routes up and down South America as well as throughout Central America from its PTY hub.

Of course, the new LATAM, which appears to operate both domestic and international routes in almost every country in South America, is a key player in One World.

Therefore, Delta controlling Avianca (to the extent it can under Colombian law) makes a lot of sense, particularly in light of their proposed acquisition of a total of 49% of the stock of Aeromexico.
Colombia has no foreign ownership limits. Brazil does. So likely delta would wind up owning all of some parts of the carrier and parts of others. It would be quite complicated.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:29 am

I'm flying Avanica next month with connections from AA. DL continues to be very weak in South America. Whenever I price out F/J they are laughably out of touch with their competitors prices.

In terms of AV the only thing I noted was my travel agent had access to consolidator fares I couldn't find in the usual channels. It appears Spanish/Portuguese centric TAs are still quite strong down there.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Indeed Colombia has no foreign ownership limitation for it airlines.
Also, United Continental no longer owns any of Copa (although they still codeshare a lot) so we may see a bidding war between Delta and United.
That said, I believe Delta needs this acquisition more - Avianca is the largest airline group in South America after Latam and opportunities likes this don't arise very often.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A SkyTeam/partner alternative to AR (Aerolinas Argentinas) would be nice.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Just like the AM investment, buying Avianca at the right price would be smart. It's a decent airline. And I've been told that their hub in SAL is very easy to use.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:45 pm

I've just been told DL is stopping Medellin service after Nov. 5, and they've rebooked me on an AV flight from MIA. This is probably just a normal process, but she called it a "partner" airline.

Those flights have been full, though the front occasionally didn't fill up. I wonder if this change in routing strategy involves AV in any way?

Meanwhile, AV is offering some juicy sale fares, if I can just figure out my travel plans. Maybe it's time to go for some status on AV, rather than just buying my Lifemiles for award tickets?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Looks like Delta will be making a bid by November 9th (within the week) according to Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-meets-suitors

Delta, United Said to Near Avianca Bids Amid Elliott Talks

Avianca Holdings SA is studying options including the sale of a controlling stake and is set to receive bids next week from suitors including Delta Air Lines Inc. and United Continental Holdings Inc., people familiar with the matter said.
The offers, due by Nov. 9, may include about $500 million in new capital for Bogota-based Avianca, plus a purchase of common stock from current shareholders, said the people, who asked not to be named because the talks are private. Copa Holdings SA also is expected to present a bid.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by dmorbust
Looks like Delta will be making a bid by November 9th (within the week) according to Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-meets-suitors
If Copa is bidding, I think Copa will win the bidding. DL wouldn't gain as much as Copa would with Avianca.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DA201
If Copa is bidding, I think Copa will win the bidding. DL wouldn't gain as much as Copa would with Avianca.
Unclear. SkyTeam is weak in Latin America, with only AR (Areolinas Argentinas) and AM, plus DL has GOL as a bilateral partner.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Unclear. SkyTeam is weak in Latin America, with only AR (Areolinas Argentinas) and AM, plus DL has GOL as a bilateral partner.
*A is too though. I'd be shocked if Copa and/or UA don't win this - especially if they decide to make a joint bid. *A would be in a tough spot for SA if they lost Avianca.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't AV the only *A carrier in South America? I would think that UA and Copa would go all out for AV.

However, after flying AR a couple years ago, it would be nice to have some other SkyTeam carrier in South America. AR is the worst airline I've ever flown. Granted I've only flown a dozen airlines (excluding US regional carriers), but they were still pretty miserable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.