Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

YBYL (you board, you lose) policy is now more flexible

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YBYL (you board, you lose) policy is now more flexible

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I was on the DL Shuttle DCA-LGA recently and boarded as there were a good amount of elites ahead of me on the UPG list....GA came on to move me to FC...nice touch!
Why did the FA move you to FC over an elite ahead of you on the list? That doesn't seem fair! If everyone else was already on board, then why did the FA chose you?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by audidudi
Why did the FA move you to FC over an elite ahead of you on the list? That doesn't seem fair! If everyone else was already on board, then why did the FA chose you?
dont kill the messenger lol! I don’t know what happened but it was the GA not the FA.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
The big problem I have is that GAs rarely give out trustworthy information when you ask them whether there are no shows, or whether F boarded full. Whenever I ask, the GA generally looks at me with contempt, like a red-headed stepchild.

Recently, a GA assured me that F had boarded full, and then when I got on the plane, there were 4 empties in F. I hate being lied to.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ND76
The big problem I have is that GAs rarely give out trustworthy information when you ask them whether there are no shows, or whether F boarded full. Whenever I ask, the GA generally looks at me with contempt, like a red-headed stepchild.

Recently, a GA assured me that F had boarded full, and then when I got on the plane, there were 4 empties in F. I hate being lied to.
I've run into that problem a few times. I thought about just counting the number of people that board in PREM but that isn't a good indication since diamonds sitting in Y and their companions can board with PREM.

I think some gate agents get the terms boarded full and checked in full confussed
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Whenever I ask, the GA generally looks at me with contempt, like a red-headed stepchild.
When I suspect this is happening, I tend to look at their computer screen behind the desk (hoping it is on the seating chart interface) and say "Look! Someone is not on board yet in first yet" They have no defense after that.

One time I did this and won a GUC seat to TXL. I rewarded the GA with a JWD cert to positively enforce the correct reaction in the future.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
dont kill the messenger lol! I don’t know what happened but it was the GA not the FA.
Sorry, I mistyped FA instead of GA! I would still be interested to know what happened in this case, but I guess we'll never know! Too bad!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by pgh234
When I suspect this is happening, I tend to look at their computer screen behind the desk (hoping it is on the seating chart interface) and say "Look! Someone is not on board yet in first yet" They have no defense after that.

One time I did this and won a GUC seat to TXL. I rewarded the GA with a JWD cert to positively enforce the correct reaction in the future.
I tried doing this at JFK, when I was trying to use an RUC to SEA. I stood next to the structure that holds the destination screen behind the podium so that I could see the GA's monitor. The GA got all upset with me for doing that. It turned out that the last two people in the F cabin were a couple that I had seen in the SkyClub, and they took their time (as was their right) to board last. If the GA had just told me that they were in the club (I think he has that information), I might have gotten on earlier.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:32 pm

It's DCA-LGA, often less than 45 minutes in the air. In many cases, once settled into a C+ seat, elites have no interest in moving forward and figuring out what to do with their carry-on bags for a flight that short. I've been on flights where the GA has gone about 10 deep into the upgrade list to find someone actually interested in moving up to F.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Care to provide the flight number?
DL1525. Wednesday evening.

+1. I been lied to enough that I've just stopped asking. And I WFBF when necessary to just avoid the problem entirely. Sadly, probably the outcomes they're hoping for.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
JFK-RDU this morning with me as #1 of 6 on the upgrade list.

I asked at the gate if first class had boarded full, this was when they were boarding Zone 2, and the agent said yes. When I got on the plane there were four empties in F which made me wish I'd stayed at the gate. One seat remained empty at the end of boarding. The gate agent came on and was surprised to see an open seat. She said the woman in 14A should be in 4D. The f/a went back and found there is no woman in 14A. The f/as paged the woman several times and she didn't answer. The gate agent had left the plane by this point but was still on the jet bridge and she and the flight attendant shouted back and forth about where the woman in 14A was. I overheard the gate agent give my name as next on the list but I wasn't pulled up. I got the attention of the flight attendant who said there was nothing she could do and the seat would go empty.

So now we're flying down to RDU with an empty F seat and an upgrade list of six back in Y. I'm writing to DL about this for all the good it'll do.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by CMK10

I asked at the gate if first class had boarded full, this was when they were boarding Zone 2, and the agent said yes. When I got on the plane there were four empties in F which made me wish I'd stayed at the gate. One seat remained empty at the end of boarding. The gate agent came on and was surprised to see an open seat. She said the woman in 14A should be in 4D. The f/a went back and found there is no woman in 14A. The f/as paged the woman several times and she didn't answer. The gate agent had left the plane by this point but was still on the jet bridge and she and the flight attendant shouted back and forth about where the woman in 14A was. I overheard the gate agent give my name as next on the list but I wasn't pulled up. I got the attention of the flight attendant who said there was nothing she could do and the seat would go empty.

So now we're flying down to RDU with an empty F seat and an upgrade list of six back in Y. I'm writing to DL about this for all the good it'll do.
Key words. Clearly, with so many data points for 2018 (see FT thread) A First in First

Delta does not care this year about this old sorta attempt to do the right thing!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I can't believe that, as a DL FO, you were #1 of 6 from JFK>RDU. That's amazing!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:01 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I can't believe that, as a DL FO, you were #1 of 6 from JFK>RDU. That's amazing!
Actually, RDU-NYC is one of my more reliable routes. I'm always in the running and often get the upgrade. Plus who's paid premium traffic on an 8 am JFK-RDU?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Saw an onboard upgrade at LAX the other day (LAX-MSY). There was one no-show in F and the GA came onboard and brought up someone from C+. Great to see it happen rather than the seat go empty. ^
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Saw an onboard upgrade at LAX the other day (LAX-MSY). There was one no-show in F and the GA came onboard and brought up someone from C+. Great to see it happen rather than the seat go empty. ^
Wednesday 1/24 on DL1325 into 2B. Where were you sitting? I was in 2A.

I thought she was going to bring up the F misconnect from the previous flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.