Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP G gates -- are you kidding me?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Isn't having a whole bunch of flights depart around the same time the point of a hub operation? I'm thinking of NRT mid-afternoon (like 4 or 5pm), there are about a dozen flights departing at the same time. This is how the hub works - it collects people from a variety of flights and disperses them to a variety of flights. Sure, the gate area can be a bit crowded, but I don't think the solution is to change the flight times so people wait around needlessly.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Isn't having a whole bunch of flights depart around the same time the point of a hub operation? I'm thinking of NRT mid-afternoon (like 4 or 5pm), there are about a dozen flights departing at the same time. This is how the hub works - it collects people from a variety of flights and disperses them to a variety of flights. Sure, the gate area can be a bit crowded, but I don't think the solution is to change the flight times so people wait around needlessly.
I don't think that was ever the suggestion - it's when you have multiple flights in the same 4 or 5-gate cluster departing within 15 minutes of each other that announcements, seating availability, etc. can get dicey. I do understand better now about making sure a Red Coat is available to move between gates for that type of scenario, though, and I'll chalk it up to "Delta knows their ops schedule and what works best way better than me."
Old May 27, 2016, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
+1. Who are these people for whom managing to find your gate among several others is a problem? Is there some epidemic of people boarding the wrong plane I am not aware of?
Old May 27, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by pbarnette
+1. Who are these people for whom managing to find your gate among several others is a problem? Is there some epidemic of people boarding the wrong plane I am not aware of?
Finding the gate is easy. Getting a seat at the gate, gate lice from multiple flights, and having to tell people pretty often that "no, Zone 2 is NOT boarding for this flight, that's the one next door" gets pretty annoying.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by airplanegod
I am going to get a lot of criticism for this, but maybe get rid of all the SkyClubs and FF lounges at airports? They take up a lot of space that 95% of passengers don't use and they don't offer anything else that you can't get out in the regular terminal.
The G gates being discussed here don't have SCs anywhere near them. Part of the issue is that they allocated too much space to the public bar area, which people do not really use. If they were to wall that area off and make it a SC, members would likely crowd in there and the space would have more usage.

It is easier to get work done in a SC than hanging out elsewhere in the airport. That's why my company pays for the membership. SCs have desk areas that are usually relatively quiet where I can quickly grab something to eat/drink, answer emails and get other work done without having to balance a computer on my lap while keeping one eye on my bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.