Wiki Posts
Search

Announcements April 28-29

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chrisj85
What I meant to say is that HNL-ATL nonstop regular Economy usually runs $1000-1500 in my experience (can be a bit more for peak dates), so if Delta charges 2x regular economy fares for true premium economy it would be $2000-3500, or at least $2000-3000.

September is probably the slowest month of the year for HNL travel. I tried some random dates in January 2017 (HNL-ATL) and came up with $5283 for roundtrip Business Class. $1312 for C+. I'd think a true W fare would price at least $2000 for those dates.
Airlines charge what the market will bear, not just by calendar month and city pair but by day of week and time of day, with fares uploaded as many as six times a day and fare bucket/segment availability changing in real time. There isn't going to be a standard 'premium economy costs x times the cheapest fare' rule. That is a radical - baseless and valueless - oversimplification of the fare setting process.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Airlines charge what the market will bear, not just by calendar month and city pair but by day of week and time of day, with fares uploaded as many as six times a day and fare bucket/segment availability changing in real time. There isn't going to be a standard 'premium economy costs x times the cheapest fare' rule. That is a radical - baseless and valueless - oversimplification of the fare setting process.
Do you not think that premium economy fares are going to be significantly higher for almost all dates/times/flights than C+ fares? DL is already typically charging a couple hundred more for C+ than for regular economy on ATL-HNL flights now, look for real W fares to be a good deal more than that.

My point was that for a few domestic routes that are serviced by wide-body internationally configured aircraft, unless DL decides to treat them differently, the choice will be to pay significantly more for premium economy or to sit in regular coach. C+ won't be an option anymore.

Given how DL currently treats ATL-HNL as intl when it comes to no upgrades but domestic when it comes to no free food, I wouldn't be surprised if premium economy on those flights is degraded from the "true" premium economy offered on intl flights.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

Given how DL currently treats ATL-HNL as intl when it comes to no upgrades but domestic when it comes to no free food, I wouldn't be surprised if premium economy on those flights is degraded from the "true" premium economy offered on intl flights.
UA are the same. IMHO it is inhuman not to have free food for flights like that which are longer than quite a few TATLs.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:48 am

What I meant to say is that HNL-ATL nonstop regular Economy usually runs $1000-1500 in my experience (can be a bit more for peak dates), so if Delta charges 2x regular economy fares for true premium economy it would be $2000-3500, or at least $2000-3000.

September is probably the slowest month of the year for HNL travel. I tried some random dates in January 2017 (HNL-ATL) and came up with $5283 for roundtrip Business Class. $1312 for C+. I'd think a true W fare would price at least $2000 for those dates.
Wouldn't it be great if we had data for more than one date? Oh wait, we do.

Median Y RT on the route is $1,228. Median F/J RT on the route is $3,884 (min is $2,196). So I'd expect W to range from $1,300 to $2,500 with the median sitting around $1,700 to $2,000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.