Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G fare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:21 am
Original Poster

G fare

Today, I was searching for a FC flight for DAY-ATL-LAS and one of the choices was a G fare. It has been about 1 1/2 years since I have flown Delta and I had not seen this fare before. I had always had A or P fare. I am looking for info on this fare (compared to A and P, etc.).
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wormhole
Today, I was searching for a FC flight for DAY-ATL-LAS and one of the choices was a G fare. It has been about 1 1/2 years since I have flown Delta and I had not seen this fare before. I had always had A or P fare. I am looking for info on this fare (compared to A and P, etc.).
G is a lower fare class and almost always cheaper than A, which in turn is lower and cheaper than P. AFAIK G is always nonrefundable and carries a $200 domestic change fee; the same is true for A fares. P can be either refundable or nonrefundable, often in the same market.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
G is a lower fare class and almost always cheaper than A, which in turn is lower and cheaper than P. AFAIK G is always nonrefundable and carries a $200 domestic change fee; the same is true for A fares. P can be either refundable or nonrefundable, often in the same market.
i also believe that G fares do not allow you to select seats pre-checkin
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by squatch
I thought that was only for E fares. They've extended that to G fares too? Wow.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This G fare DTW-FLL-DTW allows seat selection before purchase. Perhaps you're thinking of E, Basic Economy, not G, discounted F/Business.

Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Absolutely false.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:48 pm

A G fare does not guarantee you fly up front either. Delta has been known to downgrade PAX to economy cabin with any refund offered when it suits them. Read the fine print. You are not actually purchasing a first/business class ticket but a type of economy ticket.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
I've flown a lot of GAP fares in the last two years and have never been downgraded. In fact, if you read the fine print, as long as there's an open F seat, you can SDC to another F flight as well, which I've done a number of times to suit my schedule. Again, never had a problem, with one exception when the phone agent said I couldn't. I promptly hung up and redialed and they SDC me.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
A G fare does not guarantee you fly up front either. Delta has been known to downgrade PAX to economy cabin with any refund offered when it suits them. Read the fine print. You are not actually purchasing a first/business class ticket but a type of economy ticket.
That's also basically false. You were sold a seat in first class, and if one is for some reason not available, you're entitled to change to first class on another flight.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by WWads
That's also basically false. You were sold a seat in first class, and if one is for some reason not available, you're entitled to change to first class on another flight.
This.

G and A fares are probably the ones I purchase most these days. Never had any issue selecting a seat in front of the curtain and then actually sitting in it once on board.

Actually, one time they switched equip on me just before departure and I went from 1D to 2C or something. The horror.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
This G fare DTW-FLL-DTW allows seat selection before purchase. Perhaps you're thinking of E, Basic Economy, not G, discounted F/Business.

yup, i made a mistake

Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by WWads
Yes, true, but not always exactly convenient. Meanwhile, you did not get the first class seat on the original flight!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Yes, true, but not always exactly convenient. Meanwhile, you did not get the first class seat on the original flight!
The chances of this happening are almost non-existant. I've never been bumped on a G fare, and I think that most around here could say the same thing.

Of course, equipement changes do happen, especially with two versions of the A320 being out there, along with the in-progress consolidation of the 757s, but again, I wouldn't worry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.