Wiki Posts
Search

Delta - free drinks ATL to Colombia?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Delta - free drinks ATL to Colombia?

I am flying delta from ATL to CTG in June for vacation. Does anyone know if delta serves free drinks in economy (beer/wine) on this route, or similar routes to Colombia? I'm having trouble finding good info on delta'a website, and trying to decide if economy comfort upgrade is worth it.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Just be glad you're not going in July on my flight - there won't be any booze left by the time they get to the back.

And I believe free drinks are on only on long-haul international flights which this is not.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Pretty sure you will get free beer/wine/liquor.....DL made this change recently to apply to ALL int'l flights not just long-haul. Enjoy CTG!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Yes, free alcohol in all cabins on this flight
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Pretty sure you will get free beer/wine/liquor.....DL made this change recently to apply to ALL int'l flights not just long-haul. Enjoy CTG!
Pretty sure it is still only long haul international --

http://news.delta.com/onboard-experience-fact-sheet

I think if there was free booze in coach on flights to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, etc. we would have heard about it. The may have broadened the definition of "long-haul" to include all of South America, but I think that's as far as they went.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by LBJ
Pretty sure it is still only long haul international --

http://news.delta.com/onboard-experience-fact-sheet

I think if there was free booze in coach on flights to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, etc. we would have heard about it. The may have broadened the definition of "long-haul" to include all of South America, but I think that's as far as they went.
CTG is a proper 'long haul' international flight like BOG/CCS/LIM/UIO.

It is not being grouped with the Caribbean/Mexico destinations due to competition from AV.

You will get a hot meal too if it's in meal time. Similar to what you get in Y on trans-atlantic. This is also due to the fact that AV serves meals.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is this a flight to northern South America that doesn't have D1 service? If so, I think there's a real question here since business class is basically domestic FC. Hence I would expect the service in coach to be closer to that of domestic flights, although with a meal added. Perhaps there will be free wine and beer but not hard alcohol? I'm just guessing.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why not call DL and ask? Might solve the mystery and end endless speculation about what might be.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
Why not call DL and ask? Might solve the mystery and end endless speculation about what might be.
How many times should the OP call before declaring the majority answer the winner? I would expect most DL phone agents to just make up something in response to such a question.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Just flew last week ATL-MDE-ATL.

On the outbound I got a comp upgrade to "Business Class" on the 737, and it was nicer than domestic F: Upgraded meal service, with courses, champagne/sparkling wine, and a Tumi amenity kit as well.

Return no upgrade (I'm told it's rare for a Gold to sit in Y on many Colombia flights, in fact on the outbound there were 4 empty seats in Biz).

In Y to be honest I don't know if booze is free, the departure time of 07:26 meant I was drinking coffee--plus I was in Y+, so I'm not sure.
I will say, though, that the breakfast service in Y had a choice of eggs or french toast and the eggs were excellent-- scrambled eggs with onions and ham and tomatoes, with some baked salty cheese and an arepa on the side. Very nice.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this a flight to northern South America that doesn't have D1 service? If so, I think there's a real question here since business class is basically domestic FC. Hence I would expect the service in coach to be closer to that of domestic flights, although with a meal added. Perhaps there will be free wine and beer but not hard alcohol? I'm just guessing.
J service is not branded as D1, because the seats are not. There is no necessary correlation between service level in J and Y.

DL remains competitive with AV which is to have free meal, beer, wine and spirits included in Y.

BOG/MDE have heavy ethnic traffic that will expect DL to provide anything AV provides. They will lose the market if they don't comply. I would argue that they can probably get away with not having food/booze to CTG since the traffic is heavily US point of sale but it probably is just another complication not worth adding.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: DL PM/1.4MM, Marriott Titanium Elite, TSA Pre✓, Global Entry
I just flew ATL-CTG and BOG-ATL
They are both operated with regular domestic planes and D1 Lite up front.
3 course plated meal on the way down with choice of ice cream sundae or cheese plate for dessert.
On the way back it was breakfast with Westin Comforter and Pillow.
Both legs have the Tumi kits up front and free booze in the back.

Coach on the way there had a choice of a sandwich or salad.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Delta just says all international flights now and told this to FA's, not long-haul, so Caribbean et al are included.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Delta just says all international flights now and told this to FA's, not long-haul, so Caribbean et al are included.
Where specifically does Delta say this? Do you believe this includes Canada as well? I'd like to see some actual first hand reports.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:30 pm

In most things, there's international and there's DL's special definition of international for that particular purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.