Search

What's Going On With Newport News?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
What's Going On With Newport News?

Why has ATL-PHF been reduced to only three flights? Historically there have been between 5-8 flights a day. This is really inconvenient.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DL believes they can make more money by deploying the jets on those other ATL<-->PHF trips to different routes ... it's not about what's convenient for OP or the other passengers who used to prefer those flights

OP has been on this board long enough to know that the second sentence in his/her signature block applies here too
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well, those of you who repeatedly bash the regional jets are getting your wish I suppose. Have fun with the reduced flights and longer connections. I'd gladly trade one MD-88 for three CRJ's.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
...Or you can drive to ORF, which is less than 30 miles away. I know I had to do this recently when visiting a client who was literally in the shadow of the PHF airport because of the reduced flight frequency ATL-PHF.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
ORF is a few minutes from my house, but in the past there were a number of times that I would take PHF because it was a better departure or connection time. Odd thing was that I don't ever remember the flights being low loads. I wonder if the capacity is down or just the number of flights.

ORF did just get back two JFK flights, so that's helpful.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by keeton
...Or you can drive to ORF, which is less than 30 miles away. I know I had to do this recently when visiting a client who was literally in the shadow of the PHF airport because of the reduced flight frequency ATL-PHF.
The HRBT makes this quite a long journey at times.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by paterwdb
ORF is a few minutes from my house, but in the past there were a number of times that I would take PHF because it was a better departure or connection time. Odd thing was that I don't ever remember the flights being low loads. I wonder if the capacity is down or just the number of flights.

ORF did just get back two JFK flights, so that's helpful.
Capacity is down. Most of the remaining flights are CR7s or CR9s. For parts of the schedule there seems to be 1 mainline flight a day on a 717. So perhaps 260 seats/day. I remember when I was flying this route regularly a few years ago and there were fairly regular 50 seat CRJs in addition to a mix of CR9s and M88s. Notably missing now are the early AM departures. I used to frequent the 5:45-6:00 flights out of PHF which are no more.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by keeton
It may be less than 30 miles, but at certain times of day, it may as well be 100 miles away.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
its all about me
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
Capacity is down. Most of the remaining flights are CR7s or CR9s. For parts of the schedule there seems to be 1 mainline flight a day on a 717. So perhaps 260 seats/day. I remember when I was flying this route regularly a few years ago and there were fairly regular 50 seat CRJs in addition to a mix of CR9s and M88s. Notably missing now are the early AM departures. I used to frequent the 5:45-6:00 flights out of PHF which are no more.
What do you mean "No More"?
There's a 5:45 AM PHF-ATL flight today:

Sometime in May it moves to 6:00 AM:

So I'm confused by what you mean when you say "Notably missing now are the early AM departures. I used to frequent the 5:45-6:00 flights out of PHF which are no more" because DL's schedule still shows a 5:45 to 6:00 AM departure out of PHF.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mea culpa. Looks like I keyed in ATL-PHF instead of PHF-ATL.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nikitta28
its all about me
This is Flyertalk. If you'd care to discuss more pressing issues I'm sure there is a message board for amnesty international or something of the sort.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
Mea culpa. Looks like I keyed in ATL-PHF instead of PHF-ATL.
Fair enough.

I am a little surprised that between NASA Langley, Langley AFB, and Ft Eustis, that PHF on that side of the bay can't support more air service.

AA does have ~7 flights a day to CLT and 2 a day to PHL though so the airport still has frequent service - it's just not DL to ATL.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
We're lucky to have a lot of flexibility in our area, though. I'm 5 minutes from ORF but on a good tunnel day (which you can't ever really predict, but generally do okay with outside of weekends in the summer), I can also get to RIC in about 75 minutes.

So in under an hour and a half drive, there are 21 daily flights to ATL out of the three airports (ORF, RIC, PHF).
Old Apr 10, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This is Flyertalk. If you'd care to discuss more pressing issues I'm sure there is a message board for amnesty international or something of the sort.
I was teasing, lighten up. Plus the answer is obvious, and it is not to specifically torture you. It is because Delta has determined it is not in their best interest to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.