Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pay With Miles and Companion Certificate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:00 am
Original Poster

We'll be receiving our first Amex Delta Platinum companion certificate in a few months.

Will I able to use Pay with Miles for my ticket and use the companion certificate for the second person? Hoping someone might know what the current rules are.

Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
I don't think that PWM is available when using the companion certificate. I tried to book a companion reservation and couldn't get the PWM option to come up. I did copy this from the terms & conditions of the certificate: "Primary Ticket and Companion ticket must be purchased with your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express". This seems to imply that the only form of payment eligible for the booking in it's entirety must be a DL SM AMEX.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Correct, companion cert may only be paid for (in entirety) using an Amex card.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by rylan
Correct, companion cert may only be paid for (in entirety) using an Amex card.
And to clarify, you can use ANY Amex card, not just your DL Amex (despite what the T&Cs say).

But no-go on PWM or even eCredits for the paid fare. The whole thing has to go on an Amex.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your informative replies!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry to revive a dead thread but I just wanted to check and see if this is still true.

Thanks!
Jeffrey
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...es.html/#terms

"Not combinable with certificates, eCredits, vouchers, or with any other discounts. Tickets purchased with full or partial Pay with Miles redemptions are eligible for Global or Regional Upgrade Certificates but not eligible for mileage upgrades."
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Yes, and this is strictly enforced. Last year I had a sizable e-credit that was going to expire soon, plus a companion cert that was going to expire soon. I tried to push with phone agents and supervisors, but no luck.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by xliioper
Yes.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...es.html/#terms

"Not combinable with certificates, eCredits, vouchers, or with any other discounts. Tickets purchased with full or partial Pay with Miles redemptions are eligible for Global or Regional Upgrade Certificates but not eligible for mileage upgrades."
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yes, and this is strictly enforced. Last year I had a sizable e-credit that was going to expire soon, plus a companion cert that was going to expire soon. I tried to push with phone agents and supervisors, but no luck.
Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.