Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"New" mileage routing restrictions to OZ; Now impossible to go via Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,

Long story short-confirmed with international reissue desk who confirmed with rates department. Apparently the MPM on all through fare mileage awards from the US-Australia is now 10,300 miles each way, making routing via Asia no longer valid to reach OZ otherwise its viewed as 2 one-ways (US-Asia/Asia-Australia). I put quotations around "new" as it may not be.

To look at just how meticulous DL was about this, I looked at all routings to OZ from the US and the absolute shortest is Seattle which, absolutely perfectly, is 10,380 miles.

Apparently NZ is not included in this as you can still get JFK-Asia-AKL for low if you're lucky, but if you try and add AKL-SYD to this, it doubles the miles.

Good work DL! ^

Edited to add-there seems to be some confusion/missing the fact that this thread is about ROUTING VIA ASIA to save miles and not spending a superfluous amount of miles to fly the direct LAX-SYD flight.

Last edited by DLATL777; Mar 12, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: DL FO
Not sure if I'm missing something in your post, but lax-syd at 7400 ish miles is shorter than 10,380?
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Another nail in the coffin. I might bail DL very soon.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
So wait, you can't route via mainland China anymore? They're forcing you to pay up for LAX-SYD, or pray for VA space to open?
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by ops55
Not sure if I'm missing something in your post, but lax-syd at 7400 ish miles is shorter than 10,380?
Never mind. Do not reply before consuming caffeine...
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seeing availability on KE and MU from LAX to SYD via ICN and PVG. Both of these routings are over 11K miles.

Seeing some limited low-level availability on DTW-PVG-SYD (DL/MU) in coach (Nov 5 for example). 12K miles.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 12, 2016 at 10:59 am
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There's nothing new about this. As of last year you couldn't get a phone agent to book it. It can however be done online and looking at a random couple of dates it does still work at 80k in J for LAX-SYD via PVG, ICN, or Guangzhou. Again can only be done online for some reason. I've talk with international ticketing who's talked with RM and they agree should be able to get 80k J for LAX-SYD via China or Seoul, but for some reason they can't get it to price correctly using the agents phone system. They tell me to book it online. It's the only time I know that online can book something a phone agent can't. They even tried a wholly MU operated booking LAX-PVG-SYD which is a valid route on MU and thus should book and they still can't get it to work.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LBJ
Seeing availability on KE and MU from LAX to SYD via ICN and PVG. Both of these routings are over 11K miles.

Seeing some limited low-level availability on DTW-PVG-SYD (DL/MU) in coach (Nov 5 for example). 12K miles.
The OP's research and thesis clearly has some holes as demonstrated by online offerings.

Further, MPMs are tied to fare rules. Fare rules are specific to city pairs. AFAIK there's no such thing as a universal MPM to cover all ex-USA to all Australia destinations.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLATL777
To look at just how meticulous DL was about this, I looked at all routings to OZ from the US and the absolute shortest is Seattle which, absolutely perfectly, is 10,380 miles.
What are you talking about, SEA-SYD is 7,739 miles.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The OP's research and thesis clearly has some holes as demonstrated by online offerings.

Further, MPMs are tied to fare rules. Fare rules are specific to city pairs. AFAIK there's no such thing as a universal MPM to cover all ex-USA to all Australia destinations.
Absolutely nothing about this has anything to do with my own conclusions, only exactly what was told to me by DL agents. ANy issues you have with what I have reported you have with the DL rate desk and not with me.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
What are you talking about, SEA-SYD is 7,739 miles.
What are you talking about, Delta doesn't fly SEA-SYD. This entire thread is about routing via Asia to save miles. SEA-ICN-SYD the shortest is 10,380 miles.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:46 pm
Suspended

What are you talking about, Delta doesn't fly SEA-SYD. This entire thread is about routing via Asia to save miles. SEA-ICN-SYD the shortest is 10,380 miles.
Why would you want to route via Asia? Takes much longer.
Why not fly LAX-SYD??
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Why would you want to route via Asia? Takes much longer.
Why not fly LAX-SYD??
This entire thread is about flying via Asia to save hundreds of thousands of miles. LAX-SYD-LAX is always high on Delta and will soon cost even more.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's nothing new about this. As of last year you couldn't get a phone agent to book it. It can however be done online and looking at a random couple of dates it does still work at 80k in J for LAX-SYD via PVG, ICN, or Guangzhou. Again can only be done online for some reason. I've talk with international ticketing who's talked with RM and they agree should be able to get 80k J for LAX-SYD via China or Seoul, but for some reason they can't get it to price correctly using the agents phone system. They tell me to book it online. It's the only time I know that online can book something a phone agent can't. They even tried a wholly MU operated booking LAX-PVG-SYD which is a valid route on MU and thus should book and they still can't get it to work.
Can only be done only and under the logic that they have to "trust" what the award calendar says? I hate DL miles and I rarely use them, but I have just never run into this. Ill probably just book it and hope for a schedule change to switch to LAX-SYD.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:55 pm
Suspended

This entire thread is about flying via Asia to save hundreds of thousands of miles. LAX-SYD-LAX is always high on Delta and will soon cost even more.
Ah ok, now I get it.
Well, the Delta mileage redemption "game" will be up soon as they plan to change it into a fix value redemption system: 1 Skymile = 1 cent.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ymiles-future/
Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Apparently the MPM on all through fare mileage awards from the US-Australia is now 10,300 miles each way, making routing via Asia no longer valid to reach OZ otherwise its viewed as 2 one-ways (US-Asia/Asia-Australia). I put quotations around "new" as it may not be.
SEA-ICN-BNE is 10,001 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.