Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Global upgrades not bookable in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic

The past 2 or 3 years, I've been able to confirm a "global upgrade", well in advance, on trans pacific flights. By "well in advance" I mean for November travel, booked in Feb or March.

This year, however, there are zero upgrades available. The cabins on every flight I've checked are completely empty.

What gives?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rrz518
The past 2 or 3 years, I've been able to confirm a "global upgrade", well in advance, on trans pacific flights. By "well in advance" I mean for November travel, booked in Feb or March.

This year, however, there are zero upgrades available. The cabins on every flight I've checked are completely empty.

What gives?
Delta believes that they can sell those seats, so they aren't going to open any up in advance for a free upgrade.

GUCs have become extremely difficult to clear in advance. Most go to the gate these days. TPAC is particularly tough.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:07 am

For me, GUCs have been the single most valuable benefit to being a Diamond. But that value is deeply discounted if my ability to use them is precarious.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by WWads
Delta believes that they can sell those seats, so they aren't going to open any up in advance for a free upgrade.

GUCs have become extremely difficult to clear in advance. Most go to the gate these days. TPAC is particularly tough.
This is correct. I get mine cleared in advance because I use on routes like JFK-MAN or DTW-AMS, MSP-AMS etc - these are easier. If I were to go into LHR it would be tougher and as you say TPAC is particularly tough.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: DL MM DM, AA Plat, BA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
TPAC is very difficult, nigh impossible. I've had good luck with them on TATL routes.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
The five I've used have all been TATL and all cleared in advance -- four at time of request and one three days later. One LAX-JFK-FRA the LAX-JFK leg cleared at the gate (another LAX-JFK-LAX the LAX-JFK leg cleared a month or so out)
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by rrz518

What gives?
I am an old-school SWU user who survived only due to EF. Now that EF data are gone from DL, I push purchase dates back as far as possible. So last year when I did SYD and HKG, I got SYD one full year before the dates of travel and about the same for HKG but that way the GUCs cleared on the day of purchase.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not surprising that DL is severely restricting the GUC availability. They're squeezing elite benefits at every corner.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Not surprising that DL is severely restricting the GUC availability. They're squeezing elite benefits at every corner.
Or they'd rather sell a seat for $8000 than give it away for free?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL Kryptonium & Diamond & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
I've been trying for a spring break trip for the family (4) on CDG to MSP. We are waitlisted. Crossing my fingers!

4 CDG to MSP upgrades are still worth well more than the $200 voucher alternative.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerFlyer91
I've been trying for a spring break trip for the family (4) on CDG to MSP. We are waitlisted. Crossing my fingers!

4 CDG to MSP upgrades are still worth well more than the $200 voucher alternative.
Good luck. You probably picked a favorable route to clear four GUCs though.

One question though: I thought that Delta only allowed one companion per elite member for GUCs. I assume you found a nice agent?

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Mar 10, 2016 at 11:37 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
2016 has been the worst year for me since GUCs have been offered. I have booked 7 transpacific RT flights, months in advance (most at least 7 months). Not one has been confirmed in advance. On 4 waitlisted flights I've flown, I was able to clear one--only because I called the Diamond line just hours before the flight, it did not clear automatically. On others, the seats sold out in the week before the flight. This is mostly DTW to NRT. If you're flying that route, good luck on using your GUCs.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WWads
Or they'd rather sell a seat for $8000 than give it away for free?
This is not "A or B", it's "A because B". In the pursuit of the almighty dollar, your past business means diddly.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Wait listed my GUCs for ATL-DXB last month and back and they both cleared around 12 hours prior to departure
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
I am on 747 in May (mid-week) from Japan with only 4 seats sold of 48 sold and there is ZERO GU space open.

DM reps are happy to inform you REV MGT are the ones who have to open up space. They seem as frustrated as us when you talk to them.

...and before anyone says yada yada yada give away a seat vs sell, GU are a perk of being a DM and much spent with Delta to earn them. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.