Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Get Status Anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by heckler
I've recently wondered about whether to actively keep persuing PM status, especially since 50% of my yearly flights were for leisure/requalifying purposes. With PMUs being replaced with RUCs, and the possibility of complimentary upgrades being tightened or abolished in the future, maybe I should just buy half the tickets I normally do each year, but in discounted F/J cabins, as those paid tickets would include many of the remaining perks which status conveys..

I have a DL AMEX Reserve card - so i have skyclub access, in addition to when i travel internationally (or are flying F/D1)

So if the benefits are there for a cheaper overall spend without chasing PM status (but with confirmed F/J seat), perhaps thats the way to go.
As my travel is all leisure, I gave up trying for status. Went from GM back to FO, but all travel was FCM, or J due to award or buy ups (like at CDG for AF, etc). I get SP with the paid FCM fares, which is nice for airports without precheck or when it's closed. I get bonus miles on my trips. I don't have to worry about seats or schedule changes. The end of 2015 was the first time I haven't done a MR, so I rolled over something like 23K miles. It'll probably keep snowballing like that until I stop flying DL or they stop rollover. And since I travel less now than I did a while ago, and since I save money by not doing MRs or paying a bit more for EC or for a routing that's somewhat out of the way, I'm saving money each year. That savings justifies paying a little more for the FCM fares. I mean when F is $120-150 more than the cheapest Y fare, and C+ is over $50 each leg, it's a no brainer.

My travel patterns and spend happen to be enough for FO right now, but I'm always up front. I also benefit from flying routes that often times have competition from AS, B6, WN, etc, or being flexible enough to take the schedule that has the cheaper F tickets. I also don't have to be on the road to travel for work, therefore not tied down by corporate travel policies, and my situation is definitely the exception not the norm. So for the time being, I still fly DL.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
As you noted, the world is changing and the benefits of years gone by are no more. My assessment is that, rather than focus on what has been lost (which just serves to frustrate) the best option is to look forward. What is my best option for today and tomorrow.

Is there a value to status looking forward - yes. It's not the same value that is used to be - but compared to no status it is better. If you fly a lot then IROPS are a fact of life - having status makes those events easier.

Status means more flexibility - and at the Diamond level it brings global upgrades. Again - those are not what they used to be - but are still better than the options for someone with no status.

The real question is which airline. All the airlines are changing and the changes are similar. In years past flyers often stuck with the alliance in which they were the most heavily invested. Going forward that will not be the case. Price and schedule may be most important. Or, if planning a trip when bad weather, is expected the airline with the best perceived service recovery may be most important.

The bottom line is that the airlines are no longer blindly loyal to their most frequent flyers - they are now loyal to those flyers they value most - the biggest spenders. As consumers, we need to make sure that we understand that change.

If we stay loyal to one carrier even when it is inconvenient or more expensive then we are the fool. Our loyalty should be to the airline that is Mr. Right - not Mr. Right for ever and ever - Mr. Right now. This us business - set your personal feelings aside. To do otherwise is bringing a knife to a gunflight.
This post is too rational and logical to be allowed on FT. We're used to posts like the one from the OP.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
As of this week Delta is still granting upgrades. I got upgraded on two out of four segments on a trip this weekend, and still have a good chance to be upgraded on the other two.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ND76
As of this week Delta is still granting upgrades. I got upgraded on two out of four segments on a trip this weekend, and still have a good chance to be upgraded on the other two.
Seriously. The death of complimentary upgrades is greatly exaggerated. Yes, they are fewer in number, but if you fly the right routes, at the right time, you have a pretty good chance. You can occasionally get lucky too.

An unrelated point on lower level status: I think that people have to understand that upgrades are no longer a primary benefit. It's about the better treatment, choice Y seating, and flexibility. I was never upgraded as a GM, but I still enjoyed the other benefits that came from status (SP and SDC). My upgrade % as a PM is quite good, but I almost value unlimited changes to award tickets more.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Mar 9, 2016 at 7:47 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Has it officially been announced by DELTA that Elites are not eligible for upgrades anymore?

Link if so...
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Playsmart
Has it officially been announced by DELTA that Elites are not eligible for upgrades anymore?

Link if so...
NO - They are just selling more and more - and will eventually make more routes not complimentary UG eligible etc.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Playsmart

Link if so...
Nope. Just baseless rumors being started by people who obviously have nothing better to do.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Why get status. Well, for instance , when flying SFO-CVG right after Christmas the lines just to check a bag were all the way out the door. Of course I had a bag to check because of Christmas gifts and had not been able to print my bp . So got in short line for a machine , then the lady who was stationed at the rope entrance saw my lowly silver on my bp and motioned my husband and myself to a center, no line , check in. At TSA we walked through early too. So we did not get upgraded. So what.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've been at this for many years and have mostly comped top status in all 3 alliances (Lifetime STE+ and comped DL Plat) so I stopped caring a while ago which of the big 3 I fly in the US. As others have said, special care during IRROPS is what counts the most now that upgrades are gone. And for those of us who are global, we know that the US was pretty much the only country that did upgrades so we are used to never getting upgrades anyways, except in rare oversold situations.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by Beckles
They're taking away bonus miles for being DM? Priority Customer Service? Choice Benefits? Comfort Plus+ and Priority Seating? Priority Check-In Desks? Free Award Changes/Cancellation/Re-Deposit? Free SDC? Free SkyClub Membership?
They made is somewhat harder to quality for DM with the spending requirements via credit card or ticket spend. Per Diamond specifically are those perks worth what it takes to get to Diamond level. That is the real question. Most or many of those benefits can be had via other means (again for less) 8 global upgrades turn to 4. When I call and a cabin is completely empty yet they cant guarantee me a seat upgrade on an overseas flight, you have to reassess. Even Skyclub membership just includes you (not somebody traveling with you) The bonus miles for flying were great prior to the creation of of the rev program. Tickets I used to get 9K miles for (small example) I now get 2500 approx as a DM? Compound that with award rate increases. And they can give you all sorts of miles bonuses anyway. If they can control the cost of the awards, and low level awards.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by WWads
Nope. Just baseless rumors being started by people who obviously have nothing better to do.
If this is the case I apologize for that comment. I read this article on FT as a new story.

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/de......-seats.html
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: DL GM, RIP SPG
Medallion upgrades have surprisingly been the aspect of DM/360 that I've enjoyed the least. My favorite? A tossup between the GUC's and the dedicated customer service phone line. Being able to get a competent and helpful rep on the phone within minutes, no matter when I'm calling, has been life changing.

On the CRJ's that I fly quite often, given a choice between "first class" and a bulkhead seat in C+, I might even admit to preferring C+...
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DrCordell
Medallion upgrades have surprisingly been the aspect of DM/360 that I've enjoyed the least. My favorite? A tossup between the GUC's and the dedicated customer service phone line. Being able to get a competent and helpful rep on the phone within minutes, no matter when I'm calling, has been life changing.

On the CRJ's that I fly quite often, given a choice between "first class" and a bulkhead seat in C+, I might even admit to preferring C+...
Thanks for this perspective.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by gungadin
Why get status. Well, for instance , when flying SFO-CVG right after Christmas the lines just to check a bag were all the way out the door. Of course I had a bag to check because of Christmas gifts and had not been able to print my bp . So got in short line for a machine , then the lady who was stationed at the rope entrance saw my lowly silver on my bp and motioned my husband and myself to a center, no line , check in. At TSA we walked through early too. So we did not get upgraded. So what.
+1
I've said it a few times on here, but I'll say it again: island hopping on HA with no status reminds me why flying with even a little bit of status makes all the difference in the world.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by robertw477
As A DM right now it looks like all the benefits of being DM are being taken away with no further operational upgrades. Looks like I wont go for Diamond again this year. This will apply across the board to united/american and delta. They are really stripping away just about everything. Not a good year for me with this and the SPG/Marriott merger.
it really isn't worth it anymore. I agree with you. I fly whichever airline I want now and when I want to sit up front I just buy first. Ironically however, first on other airlines is typically lower than some coach fares on delta. I've flow a lot of american airlines this year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.