Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDS from connection to non-stop?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
SDS from connection to non-stop?

I know that SDC isn't allowed to change a connection to a non-stop.

I'm told that the rules formally say that SDS isn't allowed to, either, because it can't change the routing.

But if I SDS to a non-stop direct flight, there's no chance I'll be stranded at some intermediate airport with no way out.

So what I'd like to know is other people's actual experience of asking for SDS from a connection to a nonstop at an airport.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:22 pm

I have wondered this myself, for the same reason - if the rule is meant to prevent strandings at intermediate points, a nonstop should be no problem. Sorry that I have no experience trying it, just wanted to chime in on the, "Datapoints plz?" request.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
They have said that's the purpose of the rule. The best I've gotten from a phone agent is the suggestion to try at the airport, they can do things the phone agents can't (and whether I get on a flight is up to the GA anyway).
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
I know that SDC isn't allowed to change a connection to a non-stop.

I'm told that the rules formally say that SDS isn't allowed to, either, because it can't change the routing.

But if I SDS to a non-stop direct flight, there's no chance I'll be stranded at some intermediate airport with no way out.

So what I'd like to know is other people's actual experience of asking for SDS from a connection to a nonstop at an airport.
While I don't think it falls within the rules, I do believe as long as its before your currently schedule departure from the city, and that you ask at the airport, that they'll do it. I find DL GAs willing to do whats needed to get passenger from A to B. If it means bending a rule and not having to worry about the passenger getting stranded later (canceled flight, misconnection, etc) they're willing to do it.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:00 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
IME (and based on a sample of 1 attempt) I was told flat out that no, I could not SDC from a connection to a non-stop.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by TTT
IME (and based on a sample of 1 attempt) I was told flat out that no, I could not SDC from a connection to a non-stop.
Was this perhaps JFK-LAX/SFO nonstop? I think they'd be more strict about these transcons than other routes.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
When flying IND-RDU I am typically proactively offered the nonstop at the airport counter or gate.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:05 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
Was this perhaps JFK-LAX/SFO nonstop? I think they'd be more strict about these transcons than other routes.
No, it was LAX-BOI vs LAX-SEA-BOI.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TTT
No, it was LAX-BOI vs LAX-SEA-BOI.
LAX agents tend to be stricter then others because of the D1 JFK nonstops. (Which are the whole reason for the rule)

I've gotten AUS-ATL-JFK moved to AUS-JFK by asking at the gate.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:41 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
LAX agents tend to be stricter then others because of the D1 JFK nonstops. (Which are the whole reason for the rule)

This was via the phone. I didn't try going to the airport early for the non-stop if I couldn't confirm it in advance.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TTT
That's the rule for SDC. The OP is asking about SDS, where there might or might not be a rule forbidding going from a connection to a nonstop.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:54 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's the rule for SDC. The OP is asking about SDS, where there might or might not be a rule forbidding going from a connection to a nonstop.
Good catch - I missed that in the OP.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TTT
This was via the phone. I didn't try going to the airport early for the non-stop if I couldn't confirm it in advance.
Ah, that's it. Phone agents have no way to override the system. If they try and do it, it forces a fare reprice. Only GAs can do it without issue.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
I know that, and I couldn't SDC anyway; purchased ticket was X class, and flights were close to sold out. I was asking about SDS.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO

That's closer to what I was asking. (JFK-LAX-LAS becoming JFK-LAS.)

Asking at the gate is clearly SDS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.