Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Stuck on the JFK ramp for an hour and cointing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

Coming in on DL2362...wheels down at 0045, a little later than scheduled but understandable with weather in the northeast. Not acceptable, though, is waiting for a gate for nearly an hour and counting. First we had a plane in the alley ahead of us. Then that plane got assigned our gate. Then the gate we were supposed to take had a plane with a mechanical. Now we have a gate but no rampers or marshals to bring us in. So, it's nearly 0200, pax and flight crew are all antsy, and I can't wait to see what measly SkyDrachmas they throw our way while I'm still sitting on the plane. You can't be number one in New York with this kind of operation.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I feel your pain here in snowbound northern VA.

What is the weather like at JFK?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Overcast, but not even drizzling anymore. ATC issues due to wx, I understand. Ground Ops? Total fail.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:40 am

They need to bulldoze all three of those airports and build a copy of Atlanta, off the coast, with high speed rail service to Manhattan!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I had a similar situation at LAX arriving on an RJ, albeit a big one two weeks ago. Landed to the west on the north side of the airport, taxied around to park on the east side of T6, made two loops around the taxiways east of T8 and finally parked on the west side of T6, about 90 minutes late. Fortunately my connection was 3 hours!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by mahka42
Overcast, but not even drizzling anymore. ATC issues due to wx, I understand. Ground Ops? Total fail.
That's the absolute worst part of Delta Operations. Point to point they are fine.

I can't count how many times I have landed and spent an hour while the useless Ground Operations "looked for a gate" (Gee you own EVERY gate in several terminals in Atlanta) and even then either couldn't find anyone to park the plane and run the jetway or "opps the jetway is broken" (have they ever tried preventative maintenance on those things?)
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
That's the absolute worst part of Delta Operations. Point to point they are fine.

I can't count how many times I have landed and spent an hour while the useless Ground Operations "looked for a gate" (Gee you own EVERY gate in several terminals in Atlanta) and even then either couldn't find anyone to park the plane and run the jetway or "opps the jetway is broken" (have they ever tried preventative maintenance on those things?)
It's because they didn't know you were coming. You caught them unawares.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Coming in on DL2362...wheels down at 0045, a little later than scheduled but understandable with weather in the northeast. Not acceptable, though, is waiting for a gate for nearly an hour and counting. First we had a plane in the alley ahead of us. Then that plane got assigned our gate. Then the gate we were supposed to take had a plane with a mechanical. Now we have a gate but no rampers or marshals to bring us in. So, it's nearly 0200, pax and flight crew are all antsy, and I can't wait to see what measly SkyDrachmas they throw our way while I'm still sitting on the plane. You can't be number one in New York with this kind of operation.
Just another day at JFK.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
They need to bulldoze all three of those airports and build a copy of Atlanta, off the coast, with high speed rail service to Manhattan!
But then you might miss out on the AirTrain, beautiful Jamaica Station, and the LIRR.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:55 am
Original Poster

I go AirTrain to wonderful Howard Beach and the A train back home...assuming the AirTrain is running and PANYNJ hasn't completely mucked up their shuttle service.

Now that I've had a chance to catch up on sleep a bit and had the good fortune of working from home...after finally getting off the plane, it took another 40+ minutes for bags to arrive. I guess there were a number of late-arriving aircraft due to wx, but I can only guess just one ramp crew unloading all the bags. The carousel (oh, btw, only one of them was working) area looked like a 380 had just unloaded but no, it was just 5 flights worth of people all tired and upset because some people had been waiting for an hour.

Must've been really hard to figure out how to arrange gates and staff when flights that were all three hours or longer were all coming in...
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
Apparently not. Ran into that at SFO, too (broken jetway, for several days).
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I go AirTrain to wonderful Howard Beach and the A train back home...assuming the AirTrain is running and PANYNJ hasn't completely mucked up their shuttle service.

Now that I've had a chance to catch up on sleep a bit and had the good fortune of working from home...after finally getting off the plane, it took another 40+ minutes for bags to arrive. I guess there were a number of late-arriving aircraft due to wx, but I can only guess just one ramp crew unloading all the bags. The carousel (oh, btw, only one of them was working) area looked like a 380 had just unloaded but no, it was just 5 flights worth of people all tired and upset because some people had been waiting for an hour.

Must've been really hard to figure out how to arrange gates and staff when flights that were all three hours or longer were all coming in...
At least you get 2500 SkyPesos for your bags being late.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:21 pm
Suspended

That's actually a fantastic idea, never going to happen though.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
The problem is that once WX throws airplanes out of order, the backup can cascade well after the weather clears. (And the weather was very, very bad for a couple of hours during the late afternoon.)

Consider a situation where arrivals are delayed 30 minutes and departures are delayed 90 minutes. (Very common to have asymmetrical delays in the NY area.) You now have a backup of departures that are waiting to leave. Where are they going to go?

There are a finite number of gates, if you leave them at the gate the arrivals can't arrive. There's a finite amount of ramp space. You can't (easily) move them to hard stands. And of course if there are passengers onboard, the 3 hour rule comes in to play, so rather than send a plane out for a delayed departure, perhaps you leave it at the gate and delay boarding. But once you do that, remember how there are a finite number of gates? Where are you going to put the arrivals?

And don't forget not all gates can handle all types of planes.

So, in summary, it's complicated, especially when systems operate near capacity under normal circumstances.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
With the fine labor force in NYC I can easily imagine such a project pushing $100 Billion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.