Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PU591 (RUC) order against "complimentary" upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:37 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond

I've seen a lot of comments on this topic and the latest "strange" occurrences on upgrades, certainly is impacting upgrades and it has me wondering what the latest priority experiences have been for using the PU 591, domestic upgrade, and if changes have been made to that process.

My question is: If you apply a PU591 prior to the Diamond upgrade window, and do not clear prior to that window, will the PU591 still maintain it's priority over the "free" upgrade? In other words, will a Diamond on a less than Y class fare clear to the free upgrade in the window prior to a Diamond using a RUC (PU591)

Historically there were two buckets that cleared upgrades, one for free, and one for certificate or mileage. That does not seem to be the case anymore, but could be related to the lack of upgradable seats (Thanks FCM).
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What makes you say that DL no longer has two different upgrade inventory buckets? Do you have any evidence of this?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
I've seen a lot of comments on this topic and the latest "strange" occurrences on upgrades, certainly is impacting upgrades and it has me wondering what the latest priority experiences have been for using the PU 591, domestic upgrade, and if changes have been made to that process.

My question is: If you apply a PU591 prior to the Diamond upgrade window, and do not clear prior to that window, will the PU591 still maintain it's priority over the "free" upgrade? In other words, will a Diamond on a less than Y class fare clear to the free upgrade in the window prior to a Diamond using a RUC (PU591)

Historically there were two buckets that cleared upgrades, one for free, and one for certificate or mileage. That does not seem to be the case anymore, but could be related to the lack of upgradable seats (Thanks FCM).
There is still two separate buckets, RU for complimentary upgrades, and RP for certificate supported upgrades.

It is generally a bad idea to be on both lists at the same time. The system will often favor your complimentary upgrade priority over your RUC priority, which causes you to be lower down than list than you should be.

If it's a really tough route to clear a complimentary upgrade on, apply the RUC just after booking.

If you think you might be able to clear without using an RUC, wait until after the DM window. If you don't clear then, and few seats are left, apply the cert.

Your last option is to wait until a few hours before departure, to see what the upgrade list and seat availability looks like. If you're #4-5 for two seats left or something, that's a good time to apply an RUC. Just be sure to do it a minimum of 90 minutes before departure, and make sure that they unrequest your complimentary upgrade. Keep in mind though that waiting until the last minute may cause you to lose on time of request, which can cause you to miss an upgrade if a bunch of other DMs also apply RUCs.

It's all really a subjective judgement call. You don't want to use a cert if you would have cleared a complimentary upgrade anyway, but at the same time, you don't want to be stuck in economy.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Feb 15, 2016 at 10:59 am
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I thought it wasn't possible now to be simultaneously on the list for a free elite upgrade and also on the list for an instrument supported upgrade. Is this incorrect?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I thought it wasn't possible now to be simultaneously on the list for a free elite upgrade and also on the list for an instrument supported upgrade. Is this incorrect?
Last time I talked to an agent, I was told that it was possible, but that it was a bad idea for the reasons stated above. The agent may have been incorrect, but that's the only info I have to go on.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
Here's a test. I called and had the agent apply RUC's to these flights, it shows the segments for both the "normal" booking and the ones with the RUC's just like it used to.

I then unchecked the "Request complimentary upgrade" box in the Manage Upgrades section and nothing in the above screen shot changed so that leads me to believe that it is possible to be on both lists and that perhaps it requires an agent to remove you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.