Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Status Change Just Before Flying Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

I booked my first class seats with Delta in June 2015 for a trip starting in a few days (Feb 5th). When I booked, I was Silver Medallion but as of February 1st it dropped down. Now I'm limited to 2 checked bags instead of 3 because of the change a few days ago. Any suggestions on how to maybe get it back temporarily just for this trip or an extension? I thought I would have the benefits because that was my status at the time of booking. Kinda hurts just a few days away to lose it when I know I'll get it back in a few months. Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:07 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Does your original itinerary when you made the booking, or perhaps an eMail confirmation of the booking show the three bag allowance?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

No, it just shows "Bag 1" and "Bag 2" even though a third bag would also be free. I did notice the following statement "Medallion® status listed reflects a member's status at the time of ticketing, which may differ from the actual status at the time of flight departure."

Just 4 days before, I can't believe it I was referred to call corporate which I'll do in the morning. I'm hoping they can extend it to Feb 5th.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by TAKEOFF2DAY
...Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Don't mean to be a smart ...... but an idea: Check just two bags.

My wife already overpacks, but still only check one bag each most times. Somestimes I can get her to one. Plus a rollon of course.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Well, it may have to come to that. One bag is donations for some needy children. So worse case scenario, I cut down on my personal baggage so I can still bring the donations.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Don't mean to be a smart ...... but an idea: Check just two bags.

My wife already overpacks, but still only check one bag each most times. Somestimes I can get her to one. Plus a rollon of course.
I second this advice. Just check two bags. If it's absolutely necessary, pay to check the 3rd. Not sure how much it would be, but I can imagine pretty pricey.

While there's no harm in asking, I don't think DL will make an exception just for you and extend your free allowance. Don't feel bad, my status just dropped off too. Fly and earn it back!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I second this advice. Just check two bags. If it's absolutely necessary, pay to check the 3rd. Not sure how much it would be, but I can imagine pretty pricey.

While there's no harm in asking, I don't think DL will make an exception just for you and extend your free allowance. Don't feel bad, my status just dropped off too. Fly and earn it back!
Yes indeed. Depending on the destination, the 3rd bag (and above) fee could be anything from 100 USD to 300 USD per bag, each way.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ip/excess.html
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:41 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by TAKEOFF2DAY
Well, it may have to come to that. One bag is donations for some needy children. So worse case scenario, I cut down on my personal baggage so I can still bring the donations.
If you do end up having to pay for this bag, the fee might be tax deductable for you in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.