Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Your Flight Has Been Cancelled, But We Are Offering a Bus"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Your Flight Has Been Cancelled, But We Are Offering a Bus"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
My three closest airports are all quite close to the water. With two of them, they're so close you can almost overrun the runway and end up in the Intracoastal Waterway.

So every winter, we get heavy fog season when water temperatures are much warmer than air temperatures, and the 'divert to Dothan/Pensacola/PC/VPS and charter bus to final destination' scenario shows up a fair amount. PMNW once paid a $150 cab ride to clear skies in Pensacola for my husband to actually get him out of the state of Florida when he rolled fog-MX-fog on his first three tries to get out of VPS.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: marriott, delta
When Fog rolls in at AGS, buses will drive the 2 hours to ATL where we have to fly into anyway.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: delta dm
I have been bused between ord and mke on aa before. I wonder if on the delta bus first class boards the bus first followed by diamonds sky and group one. I also wonder if you board the bus you lose your chance at the complimentary upgrade. Do you get pdb on the bus?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
I once did a VDB in CHA and was given a taxi ride to ATL (since all other flights were totally booked that same day), dropped off at the front door of ATL airport by the CHA taxi and caught my original connecting flight to DFW. The taxi even stopped in Dalton Georgia a few mins. and we got some food to go and I got a beer (with the drivers encouragement, mind you...) for the trip down I-75. He said they charged DL $200 for this trip - seemed pretty cheap, especially as I was the only passenger in the cab. Funny trip! (oh yeah, and DL gave me all the MQMs and RDMs for that taxi segment, in additional to whatever else I managed to squeeze out of them!)
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
The Big D once put me in a cab CVG-SDF with one other flyer headed to Ole' Kentucky. The one way fare back in 1988 was $160.00; the Big D picked it up; I remember having a good time, even though it was around 2 am when I got to SDF.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Another example of this; when my daughter was going to school four miles east of SBN, there were a whole bunch of Domers and Belles waiting at CVG to go on CRJ-200. There was a weight and balance issue, and Delta offered the following deal--fly instead to AZO, where a minibus was waiting to take the kids directly to ND and SMC, with a $200 voucher thrown in for good measure. 10 of them, including my daughter (she was an FO in those days), took Delta up on it. AZO is about 70 miles from the 46556, probably a 90 minute ride tops.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Good daughter......and she went to the coordinate college of daddy's alma mater, right?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TPAtoAnywhere
Bussed in from GEG due to fog
A fellow Eastern Washingtonian! Bussed on QX from EAT-SEA or opposite many times.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RRDD
Heard on the public address at MSP with regard to flights to Rochester, MN.
**Note, as one who knows....you DO NOT want to be flying in to RST when there is any sort of fog or weather going on in SE MN. Your flight will always be flat cancelled. Totally untrustworthy airport to be using from the months of Dec thru March. I live one mile from the airport but rarely used as I am sick of canx flights.**
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Many years go, we were delayed ATL/DCA, causing us to miss the curfew. Diverted to IAD, and given a choice of being bused back, or arranging our own transportation.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by thesaints
Late flight LAX-SAN went MX. We were bused. Got there more than 3 hours late and didn't get so much as 1 RDM in compensation, or an apology by email.
That doubly sucks because at 1am there are no public transportation options like trolley, Coaster, or Amtrak from downtown San Diego. It would be OK if the bus dropped me off at my nearest freeway offramp to my home as it sped down I-5.

You're a Plat. Did Delta offer to put you up in a hotel and send you on the morning flight?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:50 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bowgie
That doubly sucks because at 1am there are no public transportation options like trolley, Coaster, or Amtrak from downtown San Diego. It would be OK if the bus dropped me off at my nearest freeway offramp to my home as it sped down I-5.

You're a Plat. Did Delta offer to put you up in a hotel and send you on the morning flight?
Not a word. They even moved us from the gate area (with chairs, outlets, bars) to the baggage delivery area where we had to wait more than 30 mins.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Had this happen to me twice on UA, they sent me from SFO to LAX on one of those airport express buses.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Many years ago with a sleet and snow storm at MSP, NW consolidated the LAX, ONT, and SNA flights to a single wide body to LAX. Then bussed passengers from LAX to ONT and SNA. Better than overnighting at the airport at MSP.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:45 am

This was very common between CAK-CLE when they had Cessna service that would cxl. Delta no longer uses a bus, instead giving taxi vouchers.

Only problem is, there's only about 6 taxis at the CAK terminal at any one time, and the airport isn't friendly as they should be when it comes to Uber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.