Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

what is Delta's shortest flight right now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is Delta's shortest flight right now?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Not sure of the actual mileage, but back in the days of Comair, CVG-LEX was a quick hop. Took it many times. I love CVG as an airport but HATED the Comair terminal. Always jammed. Seemed like organized chaos. I now live in Dayton and will occasionally fly out of CVG to LAX direct. when i do i will gaze at the old Comair terminal and still get slightly nauseous.
Do you ever do the CMH-LAX nonstop option? When I lived in DAY, I would always check DAY/CVG/CMH. I personally found getting to CMH easier from the east side of Dayton than dealing with 75 between Dayton and Cincinnati. (I lived on the north end of 675 near WPAFB).

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jan 20, 2016 at 8:23 pm
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Right now I fly DL SEA-PSC often, but it's a gigantic compared to some of these others at 172 miles. About 30 years back I flew CPH-MMX-ARN on SAS. CPH-MMX is under 50 miles. There's a bridge that connects the two now.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
What about PHL-JFK. I don't know how short the flight was because we were thrown well north of JFK prior to entering back into sequence.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
per the distance calculator on landings.com that's 93.5 miles
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
per the distance calculator on landings.com that's 93.5 miles

I always find this website easier to use for finding distance between any two airports on the planet.

http://gc.kls2.com/

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=b...OR=&MAP-STYLE=
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
Well if we want to talk about the shortest Delta route ever that would have probably have been TSS to EWR. It was 10.8 miles and Delta connection US Helicopter flew it back in 2009 or 10. It got Delta segment and mileage credit including the 500 mile minimum. I flew that several times. Also the TSS to JFK route - but that route was nearly 13 miles - and took nearly 6 minutes.

OMG I didn't know about this one. Just read http://news.delta.com/delta-extends-...domestic-coach and I couldn't believe it was 45 bucks to go to the airport in a freaking helicopter. No more uber. (if only they continued)
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomasdev
OMG I didn't know about this one. Just read http://news.delta.com/delta-extends-...domestic-coach and I couldn't believe it was 45 bucks to go to the airport in a freaking helicopter. No more uber. (if only they continued)
I read that and then realized it was from 2008.

Seems like such a long time ago... I was still using a flip phone back then.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by weltfrieden

I remember when pan am used to run a helicopter in the 70s and 80s in nyc.Those were the days.😎
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Do you ever do the CMH-LAX nonstop option? When I lived in DAY, I would always check DAY/CVG/CMH. I personally found getting to CMH easier from the east side of Dayton than dealing with 75 between Dayton and Cincinnati. (I lived on the north end of 675 near WPAFB).
I've done the CMH-LAX non stop only one time and that was a red eye return to CMH. I live in the Oakwood area of Dayton so its about the same to get to both places. I normally just fly out of DAY and connect due to the convenience factor. I can catch the 6:00 am DTW flight and jump on the LAX flight and be there by around 11:00 am PDT. I'll then catch a red eye back through Atlanta and be home by 9:45 am. Its become a life style of sorts. Maybe i need to look more closely at the CMH option again.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Back in the '80's when DL was partners with AC and you got 1000 miles min per segment, I used to enjoy YEA-YEG (17 miles) and earn my 1000 miles.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Gold, United Silver
Shortest I've done in my short history is DTW-MBS @ 98 miles
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Originally Posted by weltfrieden

I remember when pan am used to run a helicopter in the 70s and 80s in nyc.Those were the days.😎
I'd forgotten about those flights. IN THE 70s I used to fly from Chicago to Dublin. We landed at either LGA or EWR and took a chopper to a rooftop in Manhatten where we changed helicopters and flew to JFK to go on to DUB. Of course that was before deregulation and it was common to change airlines on a trip.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:52 pm
pbj

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nikitta28
I fly DTW-LAN frequently- it's very quick, no nonsense, no F, stay in your seats, I don't think we go above 20,000 feet CRJ-200 flight attendant doesn't get up
As do I as LAN is my home airport for the moment.. I'm not sure it get's much over 10,000 feet sometimes. I've had times where I've forgotten to put my phone in airplane mode and still get emails mid-flight..

It's always a toss up between flying out of LAN or just driving the 1:20 to DTW... if I have a weird flight pattern that makes me sit 3-4 hours in DTW, I'll just drive. But miss out on 1,000 MQMs RT when I do that.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
The old days ...

In the old days of the CVG hub, I know I've flown Delta mainline IND-CVG (99 miles) SDF-CVG (84 mi) and, I think, LEX-CVG (70 mi).

I believe DAY (64 mi) was always flown with regional aircraft.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I should have clarified but I meant it probably saves money for the EAS program and is part of the deal for getting the EAS contract for IMT/RHI rather than awarding independent/separate contracts to RHI and IMT.
They also have a turn MSP-IMT and MSP-RHI without the thru flight, so it can't just be because of separate contracts.

Now, here's the deal. Skywest, under the EAS program has those routes. They are SkyWests sole responsibility and are considered At Risk Flying. You can tell those routes by the flight number (74xx). What that means is that SkyWest bears all costs for the routes, but OO actually sells the ticket. It is not the typical "Regional gets paid by block hour no matter what" type of flying. In theory, OO could go bankrupt with this flying. They hired DGS to work these stations and pays DL a fee similar to a franchise fee and support services. Skyway/MidEx/Frontier used to have these routes until they went dormant and SkyWest picked them up.

It's quite boring up there, let me tell you. It was amusing hearing the FedEx Feeder pilots and Operations/Security/Plow Driver/MTC/Airport Parking Enforcer One-Man-Stan talk over the radio.

Last edited by Starblazer; Jan 23, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.