Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta out of Santa Barbara again?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Delta out of Santa Barbara again?

Fortunate to live in Park City UT and SB. When bought the house in Park City we were fortunate to have great options for long weekend skiing or travel between. Now drive to LA or go through a variety of airports.

Have a patient that's a Delta pilot, he claims they will resume flights in near future, I'm assuming through SLC. He seemed unable to get specifics but has anyone else heard the same? He did say 100 person jet so I assume CRJ9 or that Embraer that's like a small 737.

Anyone heard the same? I'm switching to flying American mostly but if that happens....
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
CR9 and E75 are 76-seaters due to scope clause in pilots' contract (or something like that) ... I think SkyWest has ordered the Mitsubishi RJ (~95 seats iirc) but that's probably a year or so away
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I have the same issue. I conveniently live in PC, but have friends I visit in SB (well, Ojai). I hate to have to use UA or AA to get there now. I'd love to be able to fly DL!!! Heck, I'd even be willing to fly SLC-LAX-SBA with the LAX-SBA in the lovely Brasilia like it used to be...
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:46 pm

Would be a regular on DL SLC Flights

This last year I've became a regular flyer for business and live in Santa Barbara county. My primary airport and airline is LAX and Delta. Count me in to fly out of SBA.

Next month alone I have 4 Delta trips scheduled.

Originally Posted by slidergirl
I have the same issue. I conveniently live in PC, but have friends I visit in SB (well, Ojai). I hate to have to use UA or AA to get there now. I'd love to be able to fly DL!!! Heck, I'd even be willing to fly SLC-LAX-SBA with the LAX-SBA in the lovely Brasilia like it used to be...
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
I will press him on this more when I see him next week but wonder how much info he'd have. He probably only knows because he lives locally...
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:06 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Serving some of the smaller stations in California never really seems to be on the DL radar, it seems. I would love to see service via SLC (or LAX) to places like San Luis Obispo, Santa Rosa, etc.

And it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the ATL-BUR nonstop return some day.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Serving some of the smaller stations in California never really seems to be on the DL radar, it seems. I would love to see service via SLC (or LAX) to places like San Luis Obispo, Santa Rosa, etc.

I agree. I would love to see SBA, SBP and MRY, all of which Delta used to fly through SkyWest CRJ-200s. I wouldn't mind if they were on the -200 even. With fuel prices so low, they should really step it up. I think they're the only major airline that doesn't serve these cities.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Add me to the list of peeps who'd like to see SBA back on the skd.

I have a customer who's about to build a facility in Moreno Valley. I was seriously dreading the trek from either LAX or SNA. (I could use ONT, but that's currently a double connection from RDU until SLC restarts in March).
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
When was the last time Delta flew their or their connection carriers metal into SBA? I flew a Delta codeshare to SBP but it was operated by American Eagle and at that time Eagle flew a lot of those CA cities and they were codeshared with nearly every carrier. Is that still happening to some extend? Lately, I haven't needed anything in California other than LAX, LGB (by far, my preferred), or SNA.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Add me to the list of peeps who'd like to see SBA back on the skd.
^

Originally Posted by indufan
When was the last time Delta flew their or their connection carriers metal into SBA? I flew a Delta codeshare to SBP but it was operated by American Eagle and at that time Eagle flew a lot of those CA cities and they were codeshared with nearly every carrier. Is that still happening to some extend? Lately, I haven't needed anything in California other than LAX, LGB (by far, my preferred), or SNA.
It's been several years since DL dropped the codeshAAres out of LAX, and even longer since the DL SLC-SBA route was dropped. AA has even dropped their LAX-SBA route, and now runs all of their flights out of PHX.

edit: Found a release that the SLC-SBA flights were dropped in September 2010. Those were operated by SkyWest.

http://www.pacbiztimes.com/2010/07/2...-city-flights/

I go to Santa Maria a lot and had figured out how to book DL into LAX and UA for the LAX-SBA leg, but effective this past week I can't check baggage through anymore. So now I'm back to flying DL into LAX and driving. Which forces me to book early flights so I can get out of LA before traffic gridlocks in the afternoon.

I would really love to see DL restore service to SBA. SBA has built a loverly new terminal and has lost some service recently, and they would be quite happy to see the widget return. As would I.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Jan 16, 2016 at 11:51 am
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:08 am

I know Delta shrunk down smaller CA stations - If they added what would be effective?

If you look at Delta since NW merger and the economic cycle, they have been very strategic if not almost SWA like in dropping, picking or adding new airports. Let's face it, they've been growing only large airports recently. As I said earlier, I would use Delta if out of SBA if price was competitive or convenient to LAX. What strategic smaller California airports do you all think could be effective for Delta if they either used main line or connection?

I am biased as I live between Santa Barbara and Santa Maria (both gem airports in my eyes and Santa Maria has free parking), but have been loyal to LAX and Delta based on time performance, timing of flights, costs ETC. That said, I have used United twice out of Santa Maria based on price and convenience (free parking factored in) - Don't hate me, but the United flights went really well. Currently Santa Barbara with United has come close but usually is $100 or more and charges the same as LAX lot C for parking ($12/day).

Like David mentioned earlier, I do use LAX and drive it (no traffic 2 hours and 15 min). Luckily I have a fuel efficient car and schedule my flights early in the morning from LAX and schedule my arrivals away from high road traffic hours.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to do some checking on Santa Maria when SB is pricey. United has been ok for me as long as avoiding SFO although I love that Centurion Lounge in SFO. Prefer AA though through Phoenix. Unfortunately they are always pricier or have to go through too many connections.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I would love to see this, along with a few other out stations across the US THAT I often visit...
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I would love to see this, along with a few other out stations across the US THAT I often visit...
+1

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
When did DL serve that route?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajs123
+1

When did DL serve that route?
2008-2010 I flew it a lot, ended 2010, not sure for how long but I think quite awhile. Lots of tech in SB and with Oxnard to Santa Maria lots of business and probably 750,000 people. Flights I took were always full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.