Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Help me in deciding on Revenue ticket or Award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, United, AAdvantage

Hi,

I am planning a trip in Feb (12-15) to Las Vegas. I would be leaving from DAY or CVG.
I do have option of ULCC like Frontier and Allegiant. I am thinking to take outbound on Allegiant, its 94$ per person (2 of us). on LAS-CVG, I am able to see low level availability for direct Delta flight (LAS-CVG) for 2 persons (12.k miles).
I do have some miles (approx. 11k) in my Delta account and will have to transfer rest from Amex. Revenue ticket for LAS-CVG flight for 15th Feb on Allegiant is 165$. I think frontier is less at 124$.
I am now torn between taking inbound ticket with cash or using miles. I don't use Delta miles so I don't have any idea about its value. Most of all, I have to transfer some miles from Amex which has some good value.

Any suggestions. Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You'd have to spend 12,500 miles to get a ticket you could buy for $124. That's less than one cent per mile, which is the rate you'd get if you used pay with miles, which is considered a pretty bad redemption rate anyway. I'd just buy the ticket.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I did not see what the purchase price was for a DL ticket. You also use the term direct vs Non-stop. Two different things.

Back to the miles value.

I know folks like to put values in the 1-2 cent each. But, they are only worth what they are used for.

Those miles have ZERO value if never used. They are also worth zero if the only tickets you can find cost more than that, and you can not use them. So, the question is, when and how would you use those 11k miles in the future and what would the value be for THAT ticket?

As to transferring AMEX points. There are some other options that would get you more value, but then again - only if you used them. For example, I recently transferred 17k but used if for a BizClass ticket from Paris to Africa (on top of other miles in the DL acct). In that case, it made great sense.

In the end, the value changes based on individual use.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:32 pm

If it were me...cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.